ADVERTISEMENT

Possible solutions for the BJC in basketball...

Psugo823

Aug 17, 2021
1. Move the court to the end of the arena and set up bleachers to one side, this possibly cuts attendance to 10,000 max but it's better than a black curtain.

2. Move all mid week games to Rec Hall. This cuts attendance down to 6,300 but it's better than a black curtain.

3. Move midweek games to Palestra, or Giant Center in Hershey, or Scranton...but it's better than a black curtain.

Penn State rents the BJC, and it's a blemish for this program. It's about time the A.D. does something about it.

1. Move the court to the end of the arena and set up bleachers to one side, this possibly cuts attendance to 10,000 max but it's better than a black curtain.

2. Move all mid week games to Rec Hall. This cuts attendance down to 6,300 but it's better than a black curtain.

3. Move midweek games to Palestra, or Giant Center in Hershey, or Scranton...but it's better than a black curtain.

Penn State rents the BJC, and it's a blemish for this program. It's about time the A.D. does something about it.
Put a team on the court that is exciting and regularly makes the big dance no black curtain and a full arena.

Put a team on the court that is exciting and regularly makes the big dance no black curtain and a full arena.
The black curtain is now for all home games without exception. They turn back any extra tickets sold. The sight lines are a joke, you can't see the game from Courtside.

Reactions: WaylonJ
Another Fúp by the Penn State admin. Take a look at Auburn. Very similar universities, meaning both are far from a metro area. Auburn built a state of the art 10,000 seat arean that is packed for every single game and is one of the most intimadating in the SEC. The powers to be at Auburn knew they could not consistently fill a large arena due to their rural location. I think we finally have an AD in Kraft that gets it. Hopefully, we'll start to see solid decisions starting with Beaver Stadium.

Reactions: Psugo823

So who owns the BJC? Who is contracted to operate the BJC? It is likely that PSU has a pretty tight, long term contract to play all their home games there. There may be a few exceptions allowed but pretty sure it would be few.

So who owns the BJC? Who is contracted to operate the BJC? It is likely that PSU has a pretty tight, long term contract to play all their home games there. There may be a few exceptions allowed but pretty sure it would be few.
Penn State owns and operates the BJC.

So The Pennsylvania State University owns the facility and rents it to the Athletic Dept? Or rents it direc to the basketball program? Does the contract allow home games to be played at different locations?
Obviously since we have a Home game against Purdue in 2 weeks in Philadelphia

I like the black curtain, gunsie.

I like the black curtain, gunsie.
Nobody cares about your posts you psycho. The whole board realizes you are a freak with about 5 different personality disorders who stalks people and traces i.p. addresses.

Lol. Your 230 pound wife is coming, better hide 😆 🤣 😂 😹

This might be a fun year. Beyond that, who knows. I am on record today that I think Shrews is a great fit for here, but as everyone knows this is the oldest, or one of the oldest teams in NCAA Hoop. When the heavy hitters are gone what will this look like? It looks like 10-3 going into Iowa on NYD to me and this is awesome.

Shrews is a great coach, I love the guy. He is also begging for NIL money and says if I have nothing to offer these guys (recruits), they will walk. Here's my problem with that.

I am not wealthy. I'm not dropping ten grand and I doubt my $250 is going to change anything. So why would I bother when my donation buys two orders of groceries? Oh, well if you don't contribute we'll lose. We can't compete with the other schools, we're 13th out of 14.

And? All we've done is lose anyway. I'm not trying to be a dick here but it's reality.

This might be a fun year. Beyond that, who knows. I am on record today that I think Shrews is a great fit for here, but as everyone knows this is the oldest, or one of the oldest teams in NCAA Hoop. When the heavy hitters are gone what will this look like? It looks like 10-3 going into Iowa on NYD to me and this is awesome.

Shrews is a great coach, I love the guy. He is also begging for NIL money and says if I have nothing to offer these guys (recruits), they will walk. Here's my problem with that.

I am not wealthy. I'm not dropping ten grand and I doubt my $250 is going to change anything. So why would I bother when my donation buys two orders of groceries? Oh, well if you don't contribute we'll lose. We can't compete with the other schools, we're 13th out of 14.

And? All we've done is lose anyway. I'm not trying to be a dick here but it's reality.
He's doing an amazing job so far. I think the A.D. can help him by getting this BJC problem improved.

The black curtain is now for all home games without exception. They turn back any extra tickets sold. The sight lines are a joke, you can't see the game from Courtside.
Just so I understand correctly, you're claiming you can't view/watch/see the game being played right in front of you from courtside seats?

As an aside, I know first hand last year the curtains were raised when advance sales dictated. I actually like the front few rows of the upper arena and have sat there, but not for some time.

He's doing an amazing job so far. I think the A.D. can help him by getting this BJC problem improved.
The arena is the least of their problems and Shrews never ever addressed it. It's talent. I agree he's doing a wonderful job and is a great rep.

We can't get talent unless we can offer them something....something and he's said there's basically nothing to offer. I don't know how many wealthy alumni there are but I'm not one of them and I love basketball. I know for a fact my couple hundred bucks I throw at football or basketball is a drop in their bucket. There is money available but PSU currently operates at a loss.

The basketball program is a tenant, as is all other sports. Please tell me you are not defending that boondoggle they entered into in the mid 90s...
The poster asked if Penn State owned the BJC…I confirmed that they did. Only in your mind Gunsie is that “defending” anything.

The fact is that the BJC is a solid venue when it’s packed…but central PA doesn’t care enough about basketball, and the other population centers are too far to pack it night in and night out. 16k is way too big for a Thursday buy game in late December.

Penn State should take a look at what Texas did for their new basketball arena. It can seat as many as 15,000 but is reduced to 10,000 by dropping these panels down from the ceiling that makes it look like it’s part of the ceiling, not just a curtain. They’re also acoustically designed to bounce noise back down to the court. It’s even used as a wrap-around video board. Not only would it be aesthetically pleasing, but it would help create a better home-court advantage.
pg-21-23-Moody-Center-interior-setup.ashx

1. Rec Hall is not an option. They barely have enough room in it for the present sports that it houses. It would be a nightmare for multiple sports if it was used regularly.

2. What recruit would want to deal with driving 2-3 hours for a home game just to play in a half empty arena. Sure one off games may draw a big crowd but they aren’t regularly going to draw.

3. Other than one time in 27 years they got kicked out the whole renting thing is overrated. It basically an accounting issue only. Instead of the athletic department paying for maintenance and operation of the building a different organization pays for it.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Penn State should take a look at what Texas did for their new basketball arena. It can seat as many as 15,000 but is reduced to 10,000 by dropping these panels down from the ceiling that makes it look like it’s part of the ceiling, not just a curtain. They’re also acoustically designed to bounce noise back down to the court. It’s even used as a wrap-around video board. Not only would it be aesthetically pleasing, but it would help create a better home-court advantage.
pg-21-23-Moody-Center-interior-setup.ashx
THIS is what I'm trying to say

Reactions: HailToPitt725
First, I believe that the University is not going to build a BB area or multi-purpose BB/Volleyball/Wrestling venue and leave the BJC sit empty for the most part.

Second, people no matter what PSU's Men's or Women's BB record are going to fill the arena on a consistent basis. It's a long and in some cases dangerous ride from Philly, Pittsburgh, AEB area, W-B/Scranton. Hell, I rarely took leave time to drive from Harrisburg to SC; forget it if there was any prediction of winter weather. Ever drive in winter weather over Seven Mountains or I99 from Altoona area? I have; not fun -- period.

The black curtains are there live with it. IF the lower bowl is filled then you have a great crowd. Arena has to be filled with students whether it is a men's or women's game.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
First, I believe that the University is not going to build a BB area or multi-purpose BB/Volleyball/Wrestling venue and leave the BJC sit empty for the most part.

Second, people no matter what PSU's Men's or Women's BB record are going to fill the arena on a consistent basis. It's a long and in some cases dangerous ride from Philly, Pittsburgh, AEB area, W-B/Scranton. Hell, I rarely took leave time to drive from Harrisburg to SC; forget it if there was any prediction of winter weather. Ever drive in winter weather over Seven Mountains or I99 from Altoona area? I have; not fun -- period.

The black curtains are there live with it. IF the lower bowl is filled then you have a great crowd. Arena has to be filled with students whether it is a men's or women's game.
Obviously coach disagrees with you. See u at the palestra for our home game vs Purdue

Just win, baby (c/o Al Davis)!

Shrews is the guy who can do it!

I remember going to see the Lions play Indiana. A local guy, Pete Lisicky, was the shooting guard. The teams played before a packed BJC. The Lions nailed The General’s team that day. Same barn, but with a competitive team.

Obviously coach disagrees with you. See u at the palestra for our home game vs Purdue
HUH! obviously coach disagrees with you! You mean by us playing a game at the Palestra: Poppycock! We are playing the game at the Palestra for one and only one reason -- recruiting. It will give Philly and surrounding players a chance to see PSU play on recruits home turf.

I like the black curtain, gunsie

Nobody cares about your posts you psycho. The whole board realizes you are a freak with about 5 different personality disorders who stalks people and traces i.p. addresses.

Lol. Your 230 pound wife is coming, better hide 😆 🤣 😂 😹
This is magnificent. I wouldn’t waste my gunsie gif on a whim but that reply provides supporting evidence that you have identified the perpetrator.
LOL Gunsie
Female-Bodybuilder.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT