ADVERTISEMENT

Potato chips of the world NOT sold here article. You got a favorite?

iu

Reactions: TheGLOV
Kettle-cooked Salt & Vinegar

Middleswarth BBQ

Kenyan Chevda (not quite in the "chips" category, but EXCELLENT)

Last edited:
YES! And they used to come in those big foil bags that could be easily folded up to keep fresh. Haven’t them in years. Are they still as good as they were 40 years ago?
They are still in some type of thin "foil" bag but its not like the old ones that you could fold and they would stay that way.
Snyder of Berlin has been bought and resold at least 2 times that I know of. Once by Conagra Foods and then by Utz in 2019.
I haven't had them since they were bough by Utz but I didn't think they were as good after Conagra bought them. JMO but they had too many varieties I also heard they they were no longer using local Farmers as their Potato source.

There was another brand from, Newville PA I loved called Kay and Ray's. I think they are still around but they had a "dark" chip that was awesome but unfortunately I cant find those anymore.
00030749003147-xoGRNi8V5R3jAovm-en-US-0_s500.jpg

Middleswarth BBQ by a mile. All my trips to NEPA have a required stop at the warehouse for a bulk pick up.

I guess I’m in the minority, but I’m not a fan of Middleswarth BBQ. Tried them once to see what all the fuss was about, too spicy for my liking.

I used to work at Utz. Got to go through many of their factories. They now own Tim's Cascade, Zapp's, Dirty's, and more. It was brutal working their with chips and pretzels in the conference rooms. Couldn't stop snacking. I was always partial to waffle style, and Sour Cream or Vinegar flavors. Grandma Utz is the only one still made with lard, and is one of the best tasting.

Reactions: TheGLOV and BBrown
YES! And they used to come in those big foil bags that could be easily folded up to keep fresh. Haven’t them in years. Are they still as good as they were 40 years ago?
They are still very good but not as good as 20 yrs ago. The chips are a lil thinner (but so are everyone else else’s). Still a favorite of my family but if you compared the decades, ain’t what she used to be.

They are still very good but not as good as 20 yrs ago. The chips are a lil thinner (but so are everyone else else’s). Still a favorite of my family but if you compared the decades, ain’t what she used to be.
+1. Snyder of Berlin had the Original and BBQ that were excellent. Later on they also did a Jalapeno version that was very good.

I am partial to All Dressed chips, which all major and most minor brands sell in Canada.
Anything from Preseident's Choice up there is good, bbq rib, general tsos, Buffalo and blucheese.

I used to work at Utz. Got to go through many of their factories. They now own Tim's Cascade, Zapp's, Dirty's, and more. It was brutal working their with chips and pretzels in the conference rooms. Couldn't stop snacking. I was always partial to waffle style, and Sour Cream or Vinegar flavors. Grandma Utz is the only one still made with lard, and is one of the best tasting.
I grew up in Hanover across the street from the original Utz factory. Used to play tennis on the Utz court. I don't eat many potato chips these days but Utz BBQ fresh from the factory store is my all time favorite potato chip.

At the beginning of the pandemic, my wife signed us up for "Universal Yums" which is a monthly box packed with snacks from around the globe. This month is Greece, last month was South Korea, etc. It's a silly little indulgence that the family has had a lot of fun with. We were all in agreement that Thailand had both the best and the worst things. Everything from Germany and The Netherlands was good.

Current box has these tomato and paprika chips from Greece, which are surprisingly good.

TOTTIS%20WAVES%20PAPRIKA%20250GR.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT