ADVERTISEMENT

Project Rudy

Obliviax

Gold Member
Aug 21, 2001

While SEC and Big Ten leaders mull major changes, a new Super League concept looms that could radically alter college sports

Spearheaded by former Disney executives-turned-investment professionals, Project Rudy is a super league-esque concept — separate and more simplified than the one made public last week — that incorporates football programs of the four power conferences in a 70-team structure. The model preserves the four power conferences, expands the postseason, overhauls scheduling, tiers revenue distribution and, most importantly, infuses as much as $9 billion of private capital cash into the system.

Over the last four months, athletic directors at more than 25 power conference programs have seen the presentation, many of them in person during meetings with Smash Capital representatives. Others only held phone or Zoom calls about Project Rudy, its name a nod to the famous Notre Dame walk-on, Rudy Ruettiger. Three of four power conference commissioners were shared details of the model directly from the architects as well (those from the SEC, Big 12 and ACC).

In a recent acquisition, the architects of Project Rudy successfully recruited to join their team one of the most respected people within the college space: former Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick. It is a stunning move for someone who just six months ago sat on the College Football Playoff governing committee as one of the most powerful decision-makers in the industry.

Reactions: gamblepsu

While SEC and Big Ten leaders mull major changes, a new Super League concept looms that could radically alter college sports

Spearheaded by former Disney executives-turned-investment professionals, Project Rudy is a super league-esque concept — separate and more simplified than the one made public last week — that incorporates football programs of the four power conferences in a 70-team structure. The model preserves the four power conferences, expands the postseason, overhauls scheduling, tiers revenue distribution and, most importantly, infuses as much as $9 billion of private capital cash into the system.

Over the last four months, athletic directors at more than 25 power conference programs have seen the presentation, many of them in person during meetings with Smash Capital representatives. Others only held phone or Zoom calls about Project Rudy, its name a nod to the famous Notre Dame walk-on, Rudy Ruettiger. Three of four power conference commissioners were shared details of the model directly from the architects as well (those from the SEC, Big 12 and ACC).

In a recent acquisition, the architects of Project Rudy successfully recruited to join their team one of the most respected people within the college space: former Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick. It is a stunning move for someone who just six months ago sat on the College Football Playoff governing committee as one of the most powerful decision-makers in the industry.

I just read this, and came here to post the same. It shows you the money.

Reactions: Obliviax
Here’s the source

well, it just makes sense to do this. I don't know if this will be the initiative that does it but they are going to have to form some kind of supergroup. How they appease the B1G and SEC is anybody's guess.

Anything that disrupts and ultimately disbands the good 'ole boy system of bs politics that has infected college football forever is a good thing. As Penn State fans we should welcome big, sweeping changes that oust the political snakes running things. 1968, 1969. 1973. 1994 all say hi.

Maybe they should refer to it as the 'Devine' Project because Dan is the person who got screwed over and made the villain so that everyone could celebrate 'Rudy'.
LOL. I heard his family was pissed as hell because of the way he was portrayed as a total jack a## in that movie.

Here’s the source

This is all fine by me...just don't see the SEC/Big Ten agreeing when they can probably make those elite numbers in a super league with 2 conferences.

well, it just makes sense to do this. I don't know if this will be the initiative that does it but they are going to have to form some kind of supergroup. How they appease the B1G and SEC is anybody's guess.
The Big Ten and SEC have made it clear that they have no interest in saving everybody. Why should they? Consolidate under one media deal when the majority of people watching college football are watching SEC and Big Ten games - makes no sense.

The power conferences are addicted to playing g5 and fcs schools. It give an extra home game or two and importantly pads the records. We all want better matchups, but consider the ramifications. Last season for PSU a 10-2 year may be 8 or 9 wins in this model. Or look at schools like Iowa or Wisconsin who historically are in that 7-9 win range. They may be 500 or slightly abobe 500 in this model. Is there as much excitement for the fans getting behind a school that may be really good during the season but playing 500 ball? I honestly don’t know. Personally, I would take this model to have a better schedule.

The power conferences are addicted to playing g5 and fcs schools. It give an extra home game or two and importantly pads the records. We all want better matchups, but consider the ramifications. Last season for PSU a 10-2 year may be 8 or 9 wins in this model. Or look at schools like Iowa or Wisconsin who historically are in that 7-9 win range. They may be in 500 or slightly abobe 500 in this model. Is there as much excitement for the fans getting behind a school that may be really good during the season but playing 500 ball? I honestly don’t know. Personally, I would take this model to have a better schedule.
I'm fine with less wins due to more competitive games because that would be true for everyone not just us.

There's still no way the SEC/Big Ten would ever do this IMO

I'm fine with less wins due to more competitive games because that would be true for everyone not just us.

There's still no way the SEC/Big Ten would ever do this IMO
The regional conferences proposed last week was complete garbage and would never ever fly with the power 2, but I think this model is more palatable as it keeps the elite status of the P2. It is complicated. There’s only four or five schools in each of the P2 conferences that historically generate significant TV viewership. The rest of both conferences must be worried that they get jettisoned one day for an sec/b1g super conference so this proposed model above solidifies the power status of the Vandys and NWs for good.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT