ADVERTISEMENT

Do you consider Penn State a blue blood in college football?

saturdaysarebetter2

Nov 18, 2022
Do you consider Penn State a blue blood in college football? Many people interpret the term blue blood differently. To me, it's belonging to the original aristocracy yet others would consider it as part of the current elite ruling class.

When I see Penn State left off blue blood lists I always counter with the following:

It's been written that Penn State football has two national championships and that's used against Penn State in consideration for blue blood status. The NCAA recognizes Penn State football as having FOUR national championships: 1911, 1912, 1982 and 1986 and don't get me started about 1968 and 1994. The NCAA's own website lists Penn State as co-national champions in 1911 and 1912. The link is below.

Since Penn State won not just one but TWO two national championships in the early days of college football that's certainly noteworthy for those claiming long-time early-on blue blood status because that is:
7 years before Notre Dame won their first one in 1919
13 years before Alabama won their first one in 1925
19 years before USC won their first one in 1931
30 years before Ohio State won their first one in 1942
38 years before Oklahoma won their first one in 1950
39 years before Tennessee won their first one in 1951
51 years before Texas won their first one in 1963
58 years before Nebraska won their first one in 1970.

For those that state a football program needs to be relevant in every decade:
Penn State football had multiple 11+ win seasons during the '60s, '70s, '80s, '90s, '00s and '10s, a feat Ohio State, Michigan, Nebraska, Alabama, Texas, LSU, Georgia, USC, Notre Dame, Auburn, Clemson, FSU, Florida, Miami, Oklahoma, Tennessee nor Texas A&M can claim.

Nope, not even close. Need multiple titles spanning decades and head coaches. Never made the title game during the BCS or CFP 4 team.

Reactions: FlyinLion1
Do you consider Penn State a blue blood in college football? Many people interpret the term blue blood differently. To me, it's belonging to the original aristocracy yet others would consider it as part of the current elite ruling class.

When I see Penn State left off blue blood lists I always counter with the following:

It's been written that Penn State football has two national championships and that's used against Penn State in consideration for blue blood status. The NCAA recognizes Penn State football as having FOUR national championships: 1911, 1912, 1982 and 1986 and don't get me started about 1968 and 1994. The NCAA's own website lists Penn State as co-national champions in 1911 and 1912. The link is below.

Since Penn State won not just one but TWO two national championships in the early days of college football that's certainly noteworthy for those claiming long-time early-on blue blood status because that is:

Penn State football had multiple 11+ win seasons during the '60s, '70s, '80s, '90s, '00s and '10s, a feat Ohio State, Michigan, Nebraska, Alabama, Texas, LSU, Georgia, USC, Notre Dame, Auburn, Clemson, FSU, Florida, Miami, Oklahoma, Tennessee nor Texas A&M can claim.

Well the snobby "experts" would probably not put Penn State on the "blue-blood" list, but these are the same people who wouldn't hesitate to include teams like Oklahoma and USC who've been living off past glory for a very long time.

The fact is, we rank #8 on the all-time win list and #5 in bowl wins. No question, our star has dimmed a bit in recent years, but big picture, yes, I think we should be listed among the elite all-time college football programs.

Definitely, especially since the mid 60s. God, as much as we criticize the program now, there are only a handful of programs that have been as consistently good in the past decade. Any program that is in the all time top 7 or 8 of D1 wins is a blue blood program.

Penn State is also top 10 in winning percentage and in bowl wins.
The winning percentage matters way more
Titles, wins and winning percentage which likely makes us "a blue blood"
But the lack of relevance recently hurts us more than say Michigan or Notre Dame
I mean, are Army and Navy "blue bloods"?

In the aggregate…absolutely. From the 1960’s through 2010, there were many championship caliber teams. Pre 1960 cited above. —- Even with the massive destabilizing events post 2011, team remained remarkably very solid, which was an incredible achievement IMO.

Reactions: Jerry
We are the only viable power in the northeast, and I truly believe that without PSU college football interest and viewership for the nation would be a lot less.

If you consider "Blue Bloods" as being in the:

Top 5: NO

Top 10: Probably, 7-10 range at best

Top 15: Definitely, 11-13 range at worst

Reactions: doctornick
Pretty much any school with a stadium over 100,000 is a blue-blood, regardless of what anyone says.

Reactions: psu_2001
That would make aTm a blue blood. I would disagree with stadium size being the sole factor.
In terms of resources they are a blue blood. They may not have the on-field success the others with stadiums that size have had, but they have everything the right coach needs to be competitive at the highest levels.

We are the only viable power in the northeast, and I truly believe that without PSU college football interest and viewership for the nation would be a lot less.
Also, it’s not like PSU has stopped winning games and is living off of what it did thirty years ago. I mean, if you don’t count the absurd 2020 season, PSU has won 72 games in the 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2021, 2022 and 2023 seasons while playing in one of the toughest divisions in all of college football. The only thing that PSU hasn’t accomplished in that span is to qualify for the Final Four. Other than that, it’s won a Conference Championship and three major bowl games, and produced a lot of high quality players.

Reactions: LMTLION
Well if you look at all time wins, Penn State is 8th and one of only 10 schools with 900+ wins.
I just checked and PSU actually is seventh all time in wins among current D-1 schools; it’s eighth all time if you include Yale.

Consistency makes us a blue blood. Even in dark years, could muster 6 Ws. Now we can get to 10w regularly. A program like Clemson has us beat on national prominence right now but they went through decades of horrendous football. We are closer to Texas. Loved by a entire state, hyped but underperforming while rival OU won title or in title hunt every year. We just can't get there with Franklin. There is no killer attitude to be great. The admin see 109k and takes it for granted, Don't rock the boat.

IAN6700726 said:
In terms of resources they are a blue blood. They may not have the on-field success the others with stadiums that size have had, but they have everything the right coach needs to be competitive at the highest levels.
A&M isn't a blueblood. The resources you have today has nothing to do with that title.

Also, it’s not like PSU has stopped winning games and is living off of what it did thirty years ago. I mean, if you don’t count the absurd 2020 season, PSU has won 72 games in the 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2021, 2022 and 2023 seasons while playing in one of the toughest divisions in all of college football. The only thing that PSU hasn’t accomplished in that span is to qualify for the Final Four. Other than that, it’s won a Conference Championship and three major bowl games, and produced a lot of high quality players.
No playoff is a failure. There's no way around that.

I disagree. Resources alone don’t qualify. OK State and Wichita state have had enormous resources with T Boone Pickens and the Koch Brothers. Blue Bloods? I think not.

Blueblood status, like respect, is something that others bestow upon you. You can consider yourself a blueblood but that does not make it so. Very few would consider PS a blueblood.

Alabama
USC
Notre Dame
Texas
Oklahoma
Ohio State
Michigan

It is an elite group with few members. That is what makes them bluebloods.

I disagree. Resources alone don’t qualify. OK State and Wichita state have had enormous resources with T Boone Pickens and the Koch Brothers. Blue Bloods? I think not.
I'm not saying A&M is a blueblood. They are the only one with a 100,000+ seat stadium that I would not call a blue blood. But they are like one in terms of resources. Okie State has had more recent success and plenty of money, but I would put them a step below A&M historically, and they don't have that impressive of a stadium.

Yes. Definitely a blue blood.

They might also be the only school that claims fewer championships than are officially recognized (usually it's the other way around).

Reactions: saturdaysarebetter2
Blueblood status, like respect, is something that others bestow upon you. You can consider yourself a blueblood but that does not make it so. Very few would consider PS a blueblood.

Alabama
USC
Notre Dame
Texas
Oklahoma
Ohio State
Michigan

PSU is a part of that list. It's won National Championships and its players have won almost every individual trophy that you can win, including the Heisman, Lombardi, Butkus, Biletnikoff, etc. It's also won the seventh most games of any D-1 school and an incredible number of bowls, including many when they actually meant something. It's also been THE college football program of the Northeast for the better part of half a century.

Reactions: jimarnp

Alabama
USC
Notre Dame
Texas
Oklahoma
Ohio State
Michigan

Good list. I would add Penn State and Nebraska.

PSU is a part of that list. It's won National Championships and its players have won almost every individual trophy that you can win, including the Heisman, Lombardi, Butkus, Biletnikoff, etc. It's also won the seventh most games of any D-1 school and an incredible number of bowls, including many when they actually meant something. It's also been THE college football program of the Northeast for the better part of half a century.
Would most college football fans put Penn State with the teams in that list?

The list provided:
"Alabama
USC
Notre Dame
Texas
Oklahoma
Ohio State
Michigan"
is pretty much what most people would say.

Penn State is close and you can make an argument but most wouldn't put them with those 7 IMO.

Would most college football fans put Penn State with the teams in that list?

The list provided:
"Alabama
USC
Notre Dame
Texas
Oklahoma
Ohio State
Michigan"
is pretty much what most people would say.

Penn State is close and you can make an argument but most wouldn't put them with those 7 IMO.
I don't understand why. ND has won one National Championship since 1977, OSU has won two National Championships since the late 60s, Texas has won one National Championship in like the last 50 years, Oklahoma has won two National Championships since 1985, and Michigan has won two National Championships since 1947. All of these programs, including Bama and USC, have had periods of dominace and medocrity, and several of them like USC, Texas and Michigan just experienced recent periods of mediocrity.

PSU's resume regarding National Championships actually awarded and ones that could've or should've been awarded and major award winners is very similar to almost every one of these programs since the mid 60s. And like I previously said, it's not like PSU has stopped winning games and playing in important games. Despite not making a Final Four, they're still in a pretty good period.

Reactions: Jerry
Why yes, yes I do
giphy.gif

Reactions: Phil's Rug
I don't understand why. ND has won one National Championship since 1977, OSU has won two National Championships since the late 60s, Texas has won one National Championship in like the last 50 years, Oklahoma has won two National Championships since 1985, and Michigan has won two National Championships since 1947. All of these programs, including Bama and USC, have had periods of dominace and medocrity, and several of them like USC, Texas and Michigan just experienced recent periods of mediocrity.

PSU's resume regarding National Championships actually awarded and ones that could've or should've been awarded and major award winners is very similar to almost every one of these programs since the mid 60s. And like I previously said, it's not like PSU has stopped winning games and playing in important games. Despite not making a Final Four, they're still in a pretty good period.
Easy to understand, just remove the blue & white glasses. PS is not considered a blue blood by most followers of CFP. And other programs in that list have had undefeated seasons without a title so don't start going on about that being the deciding factor.

I'm not saying A&M is a blueblood. They are the only one with a 100,000+ seat stadium that I would not call a blue blood. But they are like one in terms of resources. Okie State has had more recent success and plenty of money, but I would put them a step below A&M historically, and they don't have that impressive of a stadium.
Have you been to Boone Pickens stadium? If not, you’d be impressed. While not the largest, it’s grade A1+ in every other respect. Their club level is the nicest I’ve been in.

Easy to understand, just remove the blue & white glasses. PS is not considered a blue blood by most followers of CFP. And other programs in that list have had undefeated seasons without a title so don't start going on about that being the deciding factor.
It's a subjective matter and the initial question was rhetorical. By any measure, the Penn State program is a top 8 program in college football history IMO, and I don't care who believes otherwise. If being a top 8 prgram in college football history doesn't classify a program as a "blue blood" program, then so be it. I'm secure enough as a PSU football fan to take pride in all of the accomplishments of this program which have been surpassed or equaled by very few others.

Besides, I wonder how fans of programs like Georgia and LSU would think about this discussion.

And that's all fair but when did they become elite? When did we? There's a huge gap there
Perception becomes reality. We haven't truly been in contention for a title since 94. That's 30 years. Other schools that you mentions, even if overrated, are usually or occasionally in the mix.

We haven't won an "important game" in a very long time. I'm very happy about how far we've come in recent years. The last 2 years we've beat everyone we were supposed to beat but against Ohio State and Michigan we weren't close to good enough. We have to start winning those games somewhat regularly--30% of the time. Not making a playoff during the 4 team history isn't acceptable. No one should be okay with that.

It's a subjective matter and the initial question was rhetorical. By any measure, the Penn State program is a top 8 program in college football history IMO, and I don't care who believes otherwise. If being a top 8 prgram in college football history doesn't classify a program as a "blue blood" program, then so be it. I'm secure enough as a PSU football fan to take pride in all of the accomplishments of this program which have been surpassed or equaled by very few others.

Besides, I wonder how fans of programs like Georgia and LSU would think about this discussion.
Are they top 8 in poll era titles not retroactive? That is performance at the highest level. GA, LSU, Nebraska, Miami and FSU also seem to have done better than PS in that regard. PS just does not have the titles to make such a claim. Also, as an indy for so many years playing weak Northeast opponents does not lend credibility to claims of domination. Teams in conferences most likely played tougher schedules, particularly in the poll era.

Why don't you pose the same question on the national board and see what the results are? An overwhelming NO would be my bet.

If you consider "Blue Bloods" as being in the:

Top 5: NO

Top 10: Probably, 7-10 range at best

Top 15: Definitely, 11-13 range at worst

This. It would depend on where your cutoff is for defining a "blue blood". PSU is firmly in the top 8-10 or so of all time college football programs so if your cutoff is top 10 programs, we probably squeak in, if your cutoff is 15 or so, we are there.

If you have a more restrictive view of a blue blood to only the top 5 or so, we'd be out and that's fair.

We definitely lack in more recent results compared to some other programs in the same general tier even if we might be better historically overall. So, it would also depend on how important recent results are versus the last 50 or 100 years or whatever.

Many CFB fans consider PSU the first team out when listing blue bloods. This chart is commonly referenced online and there's a big gap from the top 8 and the rest of the field. Interestingly the same chart from about 20 years ago has Nebraska as the far and away best program of all time, they've been dropping like a rock ever since.

AP polls chart

Many CFB fans consider PSU the first team out when listing blue bloods. This chart is commonly referenced online and there's a big gap from the top 8 and the rest of the field. Interestingly the same chart from about 20 years ago has Nebraska as the far and away best program of all time, they've been dropping like a rock ever since.

AP polls chart
And FSU and Florida are the 2 teams I think most fans would group us with. The chart makes a lot of sense.

BLUE BLOOD YES, THANKS TO JOE PATERNO

Reactions: EPC FAN
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT