18. K State
  19. the U
  20. Tamu
  21. AZ
  22. K
  23. USC
  24. NC State
  25. Iowa

Top-10 is exactly the same as the Coaches Poll...with the single difference being the Michigan-Penn State order is reversed in AP.

In fact the rest of the top-25 are also very similar...a few minor differences.

Reactions: NedFromYork
B1G is going to be a meat grinder this year. 3 and maybe even 4 teams should make the 12-team Playoffs. The Oregon-OSU game will be one to watch
4 maybe 5
Oregon and Ohio State are probably both in regardless of how that game plays out. It's games like us vs USC Wisconsin and Washington are they key.

Reactions: rrdd2021
4 maybe 5
Oregon and Ohio State are probably both in regardless of how that game plays out. It's games like us vs USC Wisconsin and Washington are they key.
I have PSU, Oregon and OSU in ..... I don't see the hype this year for Michigan. Granted, they've kicked butt the last 3 years but have a basically a new offense and a new HC with basically no previous HC experience. I think the team to watch is USC if Lincoln Riley can ever figure out how to field a defense

I have PSU, Oregon and OSU in ..... I don't see the hype this year for Michigan. Granted, they've kicked butt the last 3 years but have a basically a new offense and a new HC with basically no previous HC experience. I think the team to watch is USC if Lincoln Riley can ever figure out how to field a defense
I heard a sport talk show in the radio, I can't remember which one but it was a national guy, just rip USC and Lincoln Riley. The guy was saying he inherited a good OU team, had three heisman QBs and go the heck out of town when the bills came due (taking one of those with him). he said Riley's no defense teams will never fly and he thinks USC will lose five or six games this year. They, USC, has a really tough schedule

LSU
Utah State
UM
Wisconsin
Minnesota
PSU
MD
Rutgers
Washington
Nebraska
UCLA
ND

He thinks they lose LSU, Michigan, PSU, Washington and ND.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
USC has a really tough schedule

LSU
Utah State
UM
Wisconsin
Minnesota
PSU
MD
Rutgers
Washington
Nebraska
UCLA
ND

On a PSU positive spin, what if they go 11-1 with their only loss being to PSU?

A hypothetical season exists where us, Oregon, OSU, and USC all have 0 or 1 loss. (They all could hypothetically end with 1 loss, but it requires someone to drop an odd game) Anybody got the tiebreaker on that scenario for going to Indy?

On a PSU positive spin, what if they go 11-1 with their only loss being to PSU?

A hypothetical season exists where us, Oregon, OSU, and USC all have 0 or 1 loss. (They all could hypothetically end with 1 loss, but it requires someone to drop an odd game) Anybody got the tiebreaker on that scenario for going to Indy?
of course, the zero loss teams would rule (unless it is Rutgers who only plays Washington and Wisconsin in the B1G). Of the teams having one loss, SOS would have to be a thing. I can see all four going into the playoffs.

Reactions: lazydave841
of course, the zero loss teams would rule (unless it is Rutgers who only plays Washington and Wisconsin in the B1G). Of the teams having one loss, SOS would have to be a thing. I can see all four going into the playoffs.

I didn't even add Rutgers, who could also go 11-1 and make a 5th 11-1 team if:

We beat USC, but lose to OSU.
OSU beats Oregon, but loses to Michigan.
USC loses to us, beats Rutgers.
Oregon wins all but OSU.
Rutgers wins all but USC.

Likely? Less than 0.000013% (just a guess. I didn't do this math), but hypothetical MADNESS.

That's not how it works smh
The 1st 25 teams are ranked based on the number of points received. The other teams who received points are mentioned in the order of points awarded.

WVU is 33rd based on their position in the sequence.

Did you actually attend and earn a degree from Penn State?

Reactions: GSPMax
The 1st 25 teams are ranked based on the number of points received. The other teams who received points are mentioned in the order of points awarded.

It's not...if they were ranking teams beyond 25 they'd vote for them. Other votes are outliers they don't continue to rank them
Penn State and Northwestern
Have you ever taken a math class??

Once AGAIN, Notre Dame is overrated. Is anyone surprised?
Truthfully teams are ranked largely based on talent. ND fails when it comes to development and coaching. They're the one school I do hate but they're not really overrated they just rarely play to the level they should.

They brought in Riley Leonard. They probably hope he exceeds what Hartman did, which was OK, but he didn't raise them up enough. Leonard did well at Duke and might could have came out in the draft this past spring, but probably chose not to due to injuries.

Their big question marks is weapons and schedule.

It's not...if they were ranking teams beyond 25 they'd vote for them. Other votes are outliers they don't continue to rank them
Penn State and Northwestern
Have you ever taken a math class??
Starting with the preseason poll, the Associated Press Poll will rank the Top 25 teams each week during the season and after the bowl games and the College Football Playoff.

The 61 sportswriters and broadcasters from throughout the country vote individually. Teams are given points on a scale: No. 1 gets you 25, No. 2 gets you 24, etc. These ballots, which are made public each week, are then combined for one AP Top 25 poll.

So, the EXACT SAME PROCESS to assign 'Points' for the top 25 teams is used to compile the remaining list of teams who accrued points but did not qualify for the Top 25.

You say you earned a degree from both Penn State and Northwestern......

I can't speak about Northwestern but wrt Penn State, despite spending a considerable time on this board, I've never seen you reference any event, game, restaurant, club, fraternity, residence hall, apartment complex, concerts, late night food options, players or ex players, coaches, away games, bowl games, intramural teams and competitions. Nor reference to an era or time frame that I've seen.....

Nothing.

Yes, I've taken a math class. Fortunately for you the 'math' required to tabulate the points that each team earned in the tabulation of the poll was taught to me in grade school.

If the other votes that you are referring to as outliers (meaning that they did not accrue enough points for the Top 25) then why publish anything but the Top 25?

I feel like I've just partaken in a new episode of Idiocracy.

And I'm not going to do that again!

Reactions: GSPMax
They aren't ranking those teams....they simply show how many votes they received which is why no number is next to their name on the poll or when they play their game. It's to disclose the votes and how they were distributed. No one outside the top 25 is ranked at all. Please use common sense.

I've talked about several of those including bowl games I foolishly attended. I love when you all lack arguments so you create the dumbest attack possible as though it's going to bother me.

25 teams are ranked. Period.

Last edited:
Truthfully teams are ranked largely based on talent. ND fails when it comes to development and coaching. They're the one school I do hate but they're not really overrated they just rarely play to the level they should.

Starting with the preseason poll, the Associated Press Poll will rank the Top 25 teams each week during the season and after the bowl games and the College Football Playoff.

The 61 sportswriters and broadcasters from throughout the country vote individually. Teams are given points on a scale: No. 1 gets you 25, No. 2 gets you 24, etc. These ballots, which are made public each week, are then combined for one AP Top 25 poll.

So, the EXACT SAME PROCESS to assign 'Points' for the top 25 teams is used to compile the remaining list of teams who accrued points but did not qualify for the Top 25.

You say you earned a degree from both Penn State and Northwestern......

I can't speak about Northwestern but wrt Penn State, despite spending a considerable time on this board, I've never seen you reference any event, game, restaurant, club, fraternity, residence hall, apartment complex, concerts, late night food options, players or ex players, coaches, away games, bowl games, intramural teams and competitions. Nor reference to an era or time frame that I've seen.....

Nothing.

Yes, I've taken a math class. Fortunately for you the 'math' required to tabulate the points that each team earned in the tabulation of the poll was taught to me in grade school.

If the other votes that you are referring to as outliers (meaning that they did not accrue enough points for the Top 25) then why publish anything but the Top 25?

I feel like I've just partaken in a new episode of Idiocracy.

And I'm not going to do that again!
As a somewhat famous general once said, "you can't fix stupid".

Bet they enter the playoff pretty high though. Their schedule is ridiculously easy. They only play 2 teams that ended last season ranked, FSU and Louisville. They also play USC and Texas A&M. But seriously, if they aren't a 1 loss team or better with that schedule, then they shouldn't be anywhere near the playoff.

1. GA
  2. tOSU
  3. O
  4. TX
  5. AL
  6. Ole Miss
  7. ND
  8. PSU
  9. UM
  10. FSU
  11. Missou
  12. Utah
  13. LSU
  14. Clemson
  15. TENN
  16. OK
  17. OK State
  18. K State
  19. the U
  20. Tamu
  21. AZ
  22. K
  23. USC
  24. NC State
  25. Iowa
Who is this year's USC (preseason #6 to unranked in the final polls) or even Utah (preseason #14 to unranked)?

I may go with Michigan.

They aren't ranking those teams....they simply show how many votes they received which is why no number is next to their name on the poll or when they play their game. It's to disclose the votes and how they were distributed. No one outside the top 25 is ranked at all. Please use common sense.

I've talked about several of those including bowl games I foolishly attended. I love when you all lack arguments so you create the dumbest attack possible as though it's going to bother me.

25 teams are ranked. Period.
Wow. On this one you are just wrong.

The order of teams 26-113 are based upon the number of voting points receive exactly the same way teams 1-25 are determined.
It seems like you are challenging the word “rank or ranking”. If so, don’t be so dense.

The 26th team received less points than the 25th, but more than the 27th.

Reactions: EdwardoCarrachio
Wow. On this one you are just wrong.

The order of teams 26-113 are based upon the number of voting points receive exactly the same way teams 1-25 are determined.
It seems like you are challenging the word “rank or ranking”. If so, don’t be so dense.

The 26th team received less points than the 25th, but more than the 27th.
I'm not wrong on this. No one is ranked after 25 because if we were trying to determine 26 then people would vote until 26.
You can't claim this poll determines anything after 25 because you don't know how everyone votes on those numbers.
This is simple. Only an idiot, like most of the people on this board who still don't comprehend bowls don't have meaning, wouldn't comprehend it.
Again--how is this determining who is ranked 33rd when they aren't voting to that number. Hell, WVU might be much higher if people voted to 50 or ranked all the teams. This isn't complicated. People question my intelligence when apparently after Penn State (assuming you all remember any of it) you needed to go to Northwestern or somewhere else like I did.

I heard a sport talk show in the radio, I can't remember which one but it was a national guy, just rip USC and Lincoln Riley. The guy was saying he inherited a good OU team, had three heisman QBs and go the heck out of town when the bills came due (taking one of those with him). he said Riley's no defense teams will never fly and he thinks USC will lose five or six games this year. They, USC, has a really tough schedule

LSU
Utah State
UM
Wisconsin
Minnesota
PSU
MD
Rutgers
Washington
Nebraska
UCLA
ND

This, they were pathetic on Defense last year. I’m not sure you can fix that in 9 months.

Their schedule probably has something to do with their rating this year.

Michigan. USC and us for 2 playoff spots. We need to beat USC and Wisky and we are in (assuming lone loss to OSU). If we lose to USC we could be odd person out. In that case need USC to lose 3 times (LSU, Mich. ND). I think Michigan only has 2 losses (Oregpn and OSU). They will be a higher ranked team than us if our 2 losses are USC and OSU.

LSU
Utah State
UM
Wisconsin
Minnesota
PSU
MD
Rutgers
Washington
Nebraska
UCLA
ND

That’s a pretty brutal schedule !

That’s a pretty brutal schedule !
I can easily see them slipping and losing to Wisconsin, Rutgers, and Nebraska. If they've lost two or three games going into the Wisconsin game they could be mentally checked out

Michigan. USC and us for 2 playoff spots. We need to beat USC and Wisky and we are in (assuming lone loss to OSU). If we lose to USC we could be odd person out. In that case need USC to lose 3 times (LSU, Mich. ND). I think Michigan only has 2 losses (Oregpn and OSU). They will be a higher ranked team than us if our 2 losses are USC and OSU.
Michigan also plays Texas and USC. I just don't see Michigan beating both of them especially Texas in game #2 as it will take time to get basically a totally new offense rolling under a coach with no previous HC experience

USC could also go 10-2 with that schedule with losses to us and LSU. I think Riley's a good coach but obviously has to adapt his defense.

Michigan also plays Texas and USC. I just don't see Michigan beating both of them especially Texas in game #2 as it will take time to get basically a totally new offense rolling under a coach with no previous HC experience
That UM UT game is one of the best early season games of the year. Defending champ against a top five rated program who is knocking on the door.

Reactions: rrdd2021
Need a huge improvement on Defense.
Probably but are you sold Wisconsin Washington and ND are good? I'm not. I think 8 or 9 wins is more realistic given last year but 10-2 wouldn't be shocking. And maybe LSU isn't even legit.

That UM UT game is one of the best early season games of the year. Defending champ against a top five rated program who is knocking on the door.
Most of the preseason national talk centers around Oregon, Georgia and OSU but I really think Texas belongs with that group. They are loaded

Reactions: Obliviax

I think it's safe to assume that WVU would be 33rd based on 'others receiving votes' but any poll you see that shows teams beyond that list is just computer generated.

• Haha
Reactions: LandoComando
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT