ADVERTISEMENT

Match Thread PSU @ Iowa in-match discussion thread

Agreed. Who else can hang with Brooks like that?
It looked like Aaron might have pulled an Uncle Miltie tonight.

Not taking anything away from Glazier, he wrestled very well. And if Aaron had scored 2 more takedowns so the final was 11-3, still few guys could hang that close with him. Glazier looks like a legit podium guy this year.

I think we can all agree, this ref sucked. Stopping action in the middle of a scramble, calling stalling in the middle of the mat on a wrestler trying not to get taken down.
Both ways, total shit show.
Calling stalling 10 seconds into a ride, top and bottom.
Idiocy.
You also have to have some mercy on the bottom guy. It's not stalling when you can't get the f up from some of these guys when you are on the bottom. It's because they are that freaking good and no one is getting up.
Use some judgement based on the wrestler.
A lot of those calls were awful, but at least it had minimal effect on the matches, so good practice for both teams. Sometimes in March you have to beat both the opponent and the ref.

A lot of those calls were awful, but at least it had minimal effect on the matches, so good practice for both teams. Sometimes in March you have to beat both the opponent and the ref.
Zero affect on the outcome. Just saying he was horrible on both sides.
Wanted attention or something.

Reactions: Gebmo and Ski
Brooks is such a bad ass , he's the next world champ once Taylor steps down.
He just gets it done.
I would really like to see a Brooks/Yazdani match, to see where he's at on the world stage. I know that DT will have his hands full with Aaron in April.

Reactions: danoftw
I would really like to see a Brooks/Yazdani match, to see where he's at on the world stage. I know that DT will have his hands full with Aaron in April.
Agreed, I think Taylor though kind of takes it easy on his brother's. Just my opinion.
I love too see Brooks vs Yaz! It's like the Taylor vs Burroughs exhibition, Taylor wrestled like a shade of himself.
I think he wrestles down to his buddies.
You that saw the match and see all of Taylor's matches know what I'm talking about.
He wasn't nearly as aggressive.
Do you think Burroughs could beat Yaz up a weight? There is your answer.
Love to see Taylor vs Sidakov.
Taylor beats him like a drum.

Reactions: creamery freak
I could see where it had an effect on Kasak, he was basically told that any type of defense would be considered stalling so he gave up a td in ot. That ref was looking to hit Kasak for some reason then realized how stupid it was not to actually hit him for stalling while he was giving up a td so he spent the rest of the night making up for it. It's especially bad after Ayala spent the entire match on one knee but waiting until there were 30 seconds left to hit him. If it's stalling with 30 seconds left in the 3rd it has to be stalling a minute into the first.

Rewatching Messenbrink match this morning. At the end of 2nd while they getting ready for 3rd, Messenbrink seems to be tapping Caliendo on the arm almost as if he was telling him something. Anyone else notice this? Wonder what that was about.

If you told me MM goes into 3rd up 10-3 with 1:40 riding time and doesn’t get major, I’d tell you you’re crazy. Credit to Caliendo for wrestling the full 7 minutes

Rewatching Messenbrink match this morning. At the end of 2nd while they getting ready for 3rd, Messenbrink seems to be tapping Caliendo on the arm almost as if he was telling him something. Anyone else notice this? Wonder what that was about.

If you told me MM goes into 3rd up 10-3 with 1:40 riding time and doesn’t get major, I’d tell you you’re crazy. Credit to Caliendo for wrestling the full 7 minutes
He's the one guy I could see giving it up because he keeps pushing. If he wasn't on the attack late in the match he'd have kept the bonus.

Reactions: pish69

I think it was related to his nose, looked like his nose plug fell out again

Caught a little of toms post match presser. Never ceases to amaze me how psychotic he seems.
I thought it was funny. Brands was basically saying “you need to be ready, against a high powered team.” Then he realized he was giving PSU too much credit and then he screams “AND THATs NOT TO PUT THEM ON A PEDESTAL!!” Lol. I wasn’t think that but his mind goes right there.

Reminds me so much of my college football coach

I haven’t seen one PSU post match interview anywhere?? Anyone?
This video is 🔥 via @FloSports App
https://www.flowrestling.org/video/12066842-iowa-coach-tom-brands-we-have-to-be-more-ready

I could see where it had an effect on Kasak, he was basically told that any type of defense would be considered stalling so he gave up a td in ot. That ref was looking to hit Kasak for some reason then realized how stupid it was not to actually hit him for stalling while he was giving up a td so he spent the rest of the night making up for it. It's especially bad after Ayala spent the entire match on one knee but waiting until there were 30 seconds left to hit him. If it's stalling with 30 seconds left in the 3rd it has to be stalling a minute into the first.

Especially given that Ayala did not shoot a single time in the match - his TD was a counter "throw-by" as Davis was pressing forward.

I thought it was funny. Brands was basically saying “you need to be ready, against a high powered team.” Then he realized he was giving PSU too much credit and then he screams “AND THATs NOT TO PUT THEM ON A PEDESTAL!!” Lol. I wasn’t think that but his mind goes right there.

Reminds me so much of my college football coach

I haven’t seen one PSU post match interview anywhere?? Anyone?
This video is 🔥 via @FloSports App
https://www.flowrestling.org/video/12066842-iowa-coach-tom-brands-we-have-to-be-more-ready
I mean the content is fine and all but just don’t deliver it like some kind of crazy Philadelphia street person.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: psu00 and diggerpup
The only concern I took away from our guys is Carters conditioning. Whatever he had (or has) wrecked his stamina. I don't recall at any time in his career being spent in the 3rd like the last 2 weeks. Thank goodness he's so talented and has a month to fight off the effects. Hopefully I'm completely wrong with my observation.

I normally like the really intense, edge-of-your-seat competitions the most, but sometimes it is nice to just sit back and relax.

This season has been like that . . . and last night, it kind of reminded me of the courtroom scene in My Cousin Vinny when Marissa Tomei’s character was about to tear apart the prosecutor with ruthless precision . . . PSU fans sitting at home with friends to see the Iowa dual last night be like, “Watch this”
5c4cc58faba88096bdd3309082313531295d3701.gifv

Carter's the one guy that majors a good opponent and you wonder if he's still getting over the bug he had a couple weeks ago.
Why challenge the obvious. I haven't seen Carter gas in 3 1/2 years, excepting the past two matches where it was obvious. There is now doubt he is still recovering. Yes, a 90% Carter is capable of majoring a sound openent. Look out, 100% is about a week away.

Beau has now beaten 9 ranked wrestlers on the season including #3 and #2 in back to back duals in the past week.

After he took 3rd last year, I posted about how he had beaten a ton of AAs and R12 guys during the season when some of us thought he should be winning more easily. I think the schedule he wrestles is just very tough. And all he does is win win win.

Really wanted these past two dubs for him. And he got them. No doubts in his #1 ranking.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT