ADVERTISEMENT

PSU-Only Recruiting Info

Those national teams are determined at Fargo, which is not until July 12. There is a list of qualifiers here, but it's insanely big and not searchable by state:

More generally:
- 2024 is set.
- 2025 is mostly set. Marcus Blaze (OH) is the only guy left who we are actively pushing for.
- 2026 will likely be a smaller class, because 2024 and 2025 are both huge and loaded. Bo Bassett is the obvious top target. We'll pursue Jax Forrest, but he seems headed to OKST. Otherwise, maybe a 141 if we don't get Blaze. Also, this looks like a strong HWT class with 4 guys in the top 20.
- 2027: the top PA wrestlers to watch are Joey Bachmann (Faith Christian 106), Melvin Miller (Bishop McCort 152), and Landon Sidun (Norwin 114). Others might emerge in the next 3 years.

... plus quality depth.
I think (hope) we go all in for Bassett. We let Spencer get out of PA, we need to keep the Bo tradition going. My donor friend said he was in the room working hard with Zain.

I don’t see us getting Blaze. Outside shot for Forrest.

What about Reagan Milheim, Brock Rothermel and Brandt Harer. Have to be on our radar.

Miller and Sidun are both talented. Sidun could back up Luke/Desmond. I see Luke at 125 for next year and then 133. Desmond slides in.

What about Reagan Milheim, Brock Rothermel and Brandt Harer. Have to be on our radar.
All of them are good enough to start somewhere, but not at PSU. They'd be quality depth if willing to walk on. If not, we're unlikely to do more than dip a toe in the water.

2vJ1wK.gif

I think (hope) we go all in for Bassett. We let Spencer get out of PA, we need to keep the Bo tradition going. My donor friend said he was in the room working hard with Zain.

Harer will not be at psu…..his dad is not a fan of psu…..grandparents were hoping they both ended up at psu but not the case, that came straight from the horses mouth

Reactions: hlstone
Harer will not be at psu…..his dad is not a fan of psu…..grandparents were hoping they both ended up at psu but not the case, that came straight from the horses mouth
His dad is not a fan of excellence? Methinks it may be about $ or starting, otherwise you have to respect what PSU can do for wrestlers.

Reactions: USPMAN
His dad is not a fan of excellence? Methinks it may be about $ or starting, otherwise you have to respect what PSU can do for wrestlers.
It's probably about PSU not really going hard after Conner. After we got Sealey, nearly everybody saw that coming ... but that doesn't stop the parents from getting upset about it.

It's probably about PSU not really going hard after Conner. After we got Sealey, nearly everybody saw that coming ... but that doesn't stop the parents from getting upset about it.
IIRC Gavin Hoffman’s family did the same thing when Michael Beard flipped his commitment from Northwestern to PSU. Granted, it was a slightly different situation because the Hoffman’s were huge PSU fans if memory serves

Spencer was always going to iowa somehow they brainwashed him to think they were better!!LOL

IIRC Gavin Hoffman’s family did the same thing when Michael Beard flipped his commitment from Northwestern to PSU. Granted, it was a slightly different situation because the Hoffman’s were huge PSU fans if memory serves
Similar and I was going to mention the Hoffmans. They were season ticket holders, not sure if the Harers were. The interwebz has pics of the Harers in PSU shirts.

Hoffman waa a much different situation, in that they thought PSU was likely ... but then Beard decommitted from NW and everything changed. Sealey committed in Oct 2022. Harer committed to Rutgers in Mar 2023.

With hindsight, better for him that way. We landed Mesenbrink in Apr 2023.

Reactions: BigFella235
I don’t think his Dad not being a PSU fan has anything to do with recruiting his son or not. He’s worked out there on numerous occasions. There is no problem with the coaches. I think it just has to do with fanhood. I know they fell in love with Rutgers. Obviously PSU isn’t in need of that weight range.

Those national teams are determined at Fargo, which is not until July 12. There is a list of qualifiers here, but it's insanely big and not searchable by state:

More generally:
- 2024 is set.
- 2025 is mostly set. Marcus Blaze (OH) is the only guy left who we are actively pushing for.
- 2026 will likely be a smaller class, because 2024 and 2025 are both huge and loaded. Bo Bassett is the obvious top target. We'll pursue Jax Forrest, but he seems headed to OKST. Otherwise, maybe a 141 if we don't get Blaze. Also, this looks like a strong HWT class with 4 guys in the top 20.
- 2027: the top PA wrestlers to watch are Joey Bachmann (Faith Christian 106), Melvin Miller (Bishop McCort 152), and Landon Sidun (Norwin 114). Others might emerge in the next 3 years.

... plus quality depth.
16U PA team is competing in Utah today for Greco so those teams are already going. Although I been following and noticed alot of the top kids are not there on the team.

I would be shocked if Bassett doesn't choose PSU.

I would be shocked if Bassett doesn't choose PSU
Miller and Sidun are both talented. Sidun could back up Luke/Desmond. I see Luke at 125 for next year and then 133. Desmond slides in.
PSU needs to get Bassett. Then in the 2027 class go get Melvin Miller and the Bachmann kid. If you want to look way ahead the 2028 class will have Bassetts little brother and the Mario Hutcherson kid. Hutcherson will be a monster upper weight. Bachmanns little brother Fred is a beast also.

Last edited:
I would be shocked if Bassett doesn't choose PSU

PSU needs to get Bassett. Then in the 2027 class go get Melvin Miller and the Bachmann kid. If you want to look way ahead the 2028 class will have Bassetts little brother and the Mario Hutcherson kid. Hutcherson will be a monster upper weight. Bachmanns little brother Fred is a beast also.
We have to go into overdrive to get Bachmann.

While Cael may let it ride after this huge class, he doesn’t even have to go out of state - just roll on down the highway to Faith Christian.

I trust Cael will take care of business and that we haven’t seen nothing yet as far as recruiting hauls.

We have to go into overdrive to get Bachmann.

While Cael may let it ride after this huge class, he doesn’t even have to go out of state - just roll on down the highway to Faith Christian.

I trust Cael will take care of business and that we haven’t seen nothing yet as far as recruiting hauls.
Overdrive, Bachmann ... is there a Turner in 2027?

We're in Luxury Recruiting Mode -- especially if we get Blaze at 141. There are several guys we may want very badly, including Bassett, but there are no needs, no must gets.

In a way, the massive 2024-2025 classes may help us with Bassett in 2026. It'll likely be a smaller haul for us, bigger haul for everyone else, so we can give him more attention than the competition can.

Honestly, I am sure there is an 'awareness' but, NO, I didn't think they focus much time on that age group at all. PSU is notoriously late to the party on many top recruits of proper age.

Here is the decoder ring if you want to make your own list:

Top 10 maybe top 20 in class P4P
1st or 2nd Nationally at their weight
Multi time state champ
Fargo or WNO champ
World team medialist

Check those boxes at 16 yrs old and you have a decent idea.

Oh then there is that pesky rule regarding when schools can start talking to them, which makes the whole question somewhat mute.

Not to be too sarcastic, but kids at 16 or younger often haven't grown into their bodies yet, and their results dont often translate. See freshmen phenoms that had the PSU collective super excited such as Adam Busiello and maybe even someone like (time will tell) Dalton Perry.

I pretty much ignore Fresh & Soph results alone, unless they continue through Jr+ year plus winning those big tourneys as mentioned. See Blaze, Basset, Jax...
you have no idea what you're talking about.

Bassett and Forrest are #1 and #2. Has this ever happened from the same school.. That list was loaded with PA wrestlers. A lot of Mcort and Faith kids. Lots of colleges will be in PA this weekend for this group of pa studs.I just saw Willie’s article from today. Miller is #1 for the freshmen. What is in their water down there.

Let’s keep this going: get Bassett, Forrest and Blaze

2016 PSU
#1-Mark Hall
#2-Nick Suriano

2015 ASU
#1-Zahid Valencia
#2-Anthony Valencia
(Cenzo was #3 (oops)

2013 and 2014 tOSU went back to back #1's with BoJo and Kyle.

Reactions: mcpat and hlstone
Having watched Dad wrestle in high school I can say he didn't have the right attitude to begin with he was the founder of whining and taken lungers whenever he could

You could say that about a lot of kids especially 30 years ago and some today. Sounds more like you don’t like the guy and are just finding the time to take a shot at him.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrockBronson
So just listened to first couple of minutes of FRL and Kosak strongly feels Bassett to Iowa. Seems kind of out of left field to me.

9 minutes in and it’s full on Midwest Mafia at work. Miss having Askren (though a midwesterner) with a sanity check.

Last edited:
So just listened to first couple of minutes of FRL and Kosak strongly feels Bassett to Iowa. Seems kind of out of left field to me.

9 minutes in and it’s full on Midwest Mafia at work. Miss having Askren (though a midwesterner) with a sanity check
I Want Blaze, Jax and then Bo...in that order.

I think Kozak is wrong BTW.

9 minutes in and it’s full on Midwest Mafia at work. Miss having Askren (though a midwesterner) with a sanity check.
Only if you follow FLO for wrestling news.

When you tune into them to join a conversation you can find on any fan-boy message board you'll find that nothing is out of left field.

Agree on Asken - he was the only one on there who knows more about wrestling than me, you and @GogglesPaizano

EDIT - Not sure if Mike Mal is still hanging around there, but he would not be included in the Roto-Nerd crew referenced above. That guy knows his wrestling.

Reactions: GogglesPaizano

Recruiting Projections by Hot Take.

It's funny -- Willie said not long ago it's most likely PSU, Cornell, or Ohio State.

First contact day is Saturday, so he has yet to be called by Bobby Telford ... from the University of Iowa.

And the only thing to change was Taylor to OKST.

Therefore Iowa is the only reasonable conclusion.

Recruiting Projections by Hot Take.

It's funny -- Willie said not long ago it's most likely PSU, Cornell, or Ohio State.

First contact day is Saturday, so he has yet to be called by Bobby Telford ... from the University of Iowa.

And the only thing to change was Taylor to OKST.

Therefore Iowa is the only reasonable conclusion.
I thought their reasoning was interesting. The day Spencer committed to Iowa, I posted that I felt he chose Iowa to be their "star" and the face of a storied program something not so easy to do at PSU since Cael is about as great of a face for a program that you could get. The Hawk fans (and some here) got a chuckle out of my opinion but it is one I've always held to this day. Now the FRL crew is using that same reasoning for Bo to Iowa that I had with Spencer. He wants to be the STAR. I haven't made a determination yet if I think they are right but I will say Bo to Iowa is a longshot..

Reactions: Ja1339
I thought their reasoning was interesting. The day Spencer committed to Iowa, I posted that I felt he chose Iowa to be their "star" and the face of a storied program something not so easy to do at PSU since Cael is about as great of a face for a program that you could get. The Hawk fans (and some here) got a chuckle out of my opinion but it is one I've always held to this day. Now the FRL crew is using that same reasoning for Bo to Iowa that I had with Spencer. He wants to be the STAR. I haven't made a determination yet if I think they are right but I will say Bo to Iowa is a longshot..
That may have played a role with Spencer, but by his word the main driver was watching Olympic Trials in person at CHA, seated next to McDonough, with both finalists at his weight being Hawks.

If Spencer's commitment is the basis, then look who hosted Trials and had finalists at Bassett's projected weight. And who didn't.

Reactions: Ski
Only if you follow FLO for wrestling news.

When you tune into them to join a conversation you can find on any fan-boy message board you'll find that nothing is out of left field.

Agree on Asken - he was the only one on there who knows more about wrestling than me, you and @GogglesPaizano

EDIT - Not sure if Mike Mal is still hanging around there, but he would not be included in the Roto-Nerd crew referenced above. That guy knows his wrestling.
I agree Mike knows his wrestling.....and sounds like Tom Hanks, but he has not been with FLO for a good while. Not a pleasant departure. He is in California I believe.......still working in wrestling. Always liked his work.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT