ADVERTISEMENT

PSU/USC A couple of thoughts.

Hugh Laurie

Mar 26, 2017
After watching USC take down LSU I came away believing SC is going to be much more competitive than a number of west coast pundits and their fans were predicting. SC is going to create problems for a lot of Big Ten teams including ours.

I was really impressed with their WR's and the passing abilities of their QB. I think we're going to have real match up problems against their wide receivers because of their size. Their #10 checks in at 6'1, #8 at 6'4", and #2 at 6'6". All caught the ball really well yesterday and all ran well after the catch. More times than not their QB got rid of the ball on time, had good velocity on his throws, and was accurate in some tight windows.

TA needs to start thinking about how he's going defend these tall receivers and disrupt the timing of the QB. I thought we would win the SC game rather easily but after yesterday's win over LSU my calculus has changed and I'm not so sure now. We going west at 6-0 will have SC and their fans really amped up.

After watching USC take down LSU I came away believing SC is going to be much more competitive than a number of west coast pundits and their fans were predicting. SC is going to create problems for a lot of Big Ten teams including ours.

I was really impressed with their WR's and the passing abilities of their QB. I think we're going to have real match up problems against their wide receivers because of their size. Their #10 checks in at 6'1, #8 at 6'4", and #2 at 6'6". All caught the ball really well yesterday and all ran well after the catch. More times than not their QB got rid of the ball on time, had good velocity on his throws, and was accurate in some tight windows.

TA needs to start thinking about how he's going defend these tall receivers and disrupt the timing of the QB. I thought we would win the SC game rather easily but after yesterday's win over LSU my calculus has changed and I'm not so sure now. We going west at 6-0 will have SC and their fans really amped up.
Again, let's see how they do in Ann Arbor in 2 weeks.

This is a LSU team that made Wisconsin look like a great passing offense in the bowl last year. That made FSU look great in the previous 2 season openers.

The USC defense is improved. That's about all I can say so far.

Observations, not analysis yet.

I, too, will wait and see how Michigan does vs them. That will be a closer representation of what we do defensively.

Reactions: brupsu

We always were going to have to score at least in the high 20s in that game even before last night’s performance, so nothing has changed. Also, that game always was going to be the second toughest to win on our schedule and, because it’s away against an unfamiliar opponent in an unfamiliar stadium, it may be the toughest game to win now.

Remember, USC was in the PAC 12 Championship game in 2022 and, despite their horrific defense, they still scored a lot of points last season.

This is a LSU team that made Wisconsin look like a great passing offense in the bowl last year. That made FSU look great in the previous 2 season openers.

The USC defense is improved. That's about all I can say so far.

Observations, not analysis yet.

I, too, will wait and see how Michigan does vs them. That will be a closer representation of what we do defensively.
I like USC in the Michigan game unless Michigan’s offense improves significantly, because USC with their athletes will score against any defense. However, if Michigan is successful in that game, PSU at least will have a template for how to play them.

USC completed passes to 10 WRs. It will be difficult to focus on just 1 or 2.

I like USC in the Michigan game unless Michigan’s offense improves significantly, because USC with their athletes will score against any defense. However, if Michigan is successful in that game, PSU at least will have a template for how to play them.

I'm still not ready to make any over reaching thoughts about any teams yet. Michigan will face Texas first. That will prepare them for USC. Michigan could be the '24 version of '23 PSU, but with worse passing ability. They really don't have a QB.

I'm with you. Coming in, the word on USC was they were barely a top-25 team...far from a powerhouse after losing their superstar QB to the NFL and collapsing in the 2nd half of last season under the weight of an awful D.

But what I saw last night was some really electric talent at running back and wide receiver, a new starting QB who played lights out, and a D that may not be elite but is obviously much improved under a new coordinator. The result was a win over one of the better teams in the SEC.

Our road game with them was never gonna be a walk in the park, but judging by last night's performance, they might well be ranked in the top-10 by mid-October. I do agree with others that the Michigan game will be a big-time indicator.

Still, all this said, I'm not gonna worry about the game until Lando tells me to worry...;)

I'm with you. Coming in, the word on USC was they were barely a top-25 team...far from a powerhouse after losing their superstar QB to the NFL and collapsing in the 2nd half of last season under the weight of an awful D.

But what I saw last night was some really electric talent at running back and wide receiver, a new starting QB who played lights out, and a D that may not be elite but is obviously much improved under a new coordinator. The result was a win over one of the better teams in the SEC.

Our road game with them was never gonna be a walk in the park, but judging by last night's performance, they might well be ranked in the top-10 by mid-October. I do agree with others that the Michigan game will be a big-time indicator.

Still, all this said, I'm not gonna worry about the game until Lando tells me to worry...;)
You can worry about that one. It's a legit test lol

I don't want to derail the thread, and don't want to offer a backhanded compliment, but having said that I will. :) Lando, you seem changed in a good way, very reasonable and playful even, it's great to see.

• Haha
Reactions: LandoComando
I don't want to derail the thread, and don't want to offer a backhanded compliment, but having said that I will. :) Lando, you seem changed in a good way, very reasonable and playful even, it's great to see.
Well, for the most part, people have seemed to accept WVU and Greene were basically what I said so we should be good until someone starts saying we need to worry about BGSU lol

• Haha
Reactions: NedFromYork
Well, for the most part, people have seemed to accept WVU and Greene were basically what I said so we should be good until someone starts saying we need to worry about BGSU lol

I haven't "accepted" anything of the sort. I said before the game that if we won with room to spare, it would be a statement about the strength of our team this year...not about the weakness of West Virginia. And I saw nothing on Saturday to change my mind on that point.

That said, if West Virginia ends up going down the tubes this season, then OK, I'll concede your point. I've never had a problem admitting I got something wrong...whether on the topic of sports or anything else. It rarely happens but still... ;)

I haven't "accepted" anything of the sort. I said before the game that if we won with room to spare, it would be a statement about the strength of our team this year...not about the weakness of West Virginia. And I saw nothing on Saturday to change my mind on that point.

That said, if West Virginia ends up going down the tubes this season, then OK, I'll concede your point. I've never had a problem admitting I got something wrong...whether on the topic of sports or anything else. It rarely happens but still... ;)
Lol...I didn't say you did. I said most.
Though everyone should be aligned with me on Greene by now

You people see a team play one game and all of a sudden their the best, let them p,ay 2 or 3 games before you “ ordain them” the best

I never overreact after 1 game. We will see

Didn't see the game but was impressed with their QBs numbers which I think were 350 yards thereabouts and a high completion percentage. Their D must be improved to only give up 20.

I do know LSU had some boneheaded personal foul penalties that really helped USC.

I don't know how good LSU is. Is there secondary good and overall D good or resting on the LSU brand name? How good is there offense? I know they are LSU but are they legitimate top 15?

I have always been worried about this game because of Franklin's horrific results in bigger games on the road. The question was how good was USC going to be. Well they seem pretty good so we will certainly be in for a tussle. I just hope Franklin coaches a good creative, strong game and not some scared, play not to lose weak effort.

Reactions: GSPMax and psu00
Is there secondary good and overall D good or resting on the LSU brand name? How good is there offense? I know they are LSU but are they legitimate top 15?

It's way early to tell to be honest. A lot of preconceived notions about both teams. I thought the LSU passing game looked good (really good), but the article wasn't satisfied.

At one point, it looked like LSU was going to grind the game out, but couldn't score TDs in the red zone.

USC's offense looked like most every Riley offense. If it holds up, they are going to be very tough regardless of the defense. The defense was improved in the red zone, but they still give up the same amount of yardage as they gave up in '23 on average.

Both teams are probably hopeful that by seasons end, this was 2 playoff teams facing off in week 1. I'm going to reserve judgment until I see more. Fact remains, this was probably the best game all weekend. And USC is still our 2nd toughest game on paper.

It’s way, Way, WAY too early to put much thought into the USC game. Vast majority of teams have only played one game. They are still trying to figure out the good, the bad and the ugly of their own squads.
It could end up being a huge game when that day arrives. Or, it could just as easily be a game few people pay attention to…see Florida State.
Lots of football left to enjoy. Don’t rush away the season.

Reactions: The Spin Meister

SC should always be talented regardless due to the amazing recruiting pool they virtually live in. A decent coach and they should always be competitive. Never underestimate them.

SC should always be talented regardless due to the amazing recruiting pool they virtually live in. A decent coach and they should always be competitive. Never underestimate them.
I liked what I saw but looks can be deceiving. USC only had 69 yards rushing on 24 carries. Moss had 378 yards passing. I don't think that kind of one-dimensional offense is going to get it done. On the other side, they gave up 304 passing and 117 rushing. LSU also had ten penalties.

It was an exciting game to watch and went back and forth. But there was little pass defense played. LSU was, to me, the better team but didn't execute well at critical times. USC's WR corp is elite. I should also add that the two DTs for LSU will be high draft picks so the interior of their line is really solid.

Overall, I thought USC was improved from a team play standpoint. They've got UM week after next, who didn't look good at all in their lid lifter.

Reactions: brupsu and SR108
The thing is, Lincoln Riley is a pretty good college football coach. To be sure this ain’t the big 12, but he’ll have decent teams at usc

There already is a template: A very mediocre LSU team put a ton of pressure on Moss, and completely shut down the run. LSU could not finish because of the lack of a solid running game and very, VERY conservative play calling, and beat themselves with 11 penalties for over 110 yards. In addition, LSU had a poor secondary with 2 true freshman corners due to injury.

Again, for the 4th time, more will be known after the 21st.

There already is a template: A very mediocre LSU team put a ton of pressure on Moss, and completely shut down the run. LSU could not finish because of the lack of a solid running game and very, VERY conservative play calling, and beat themselves with 11 penalties for over 110 yards. In addition, LSU had a poor secondary with 2 true freshman corners due to injury.

LSU a "very mediocre" team? LSU won 10 games each of the last two years, a national title in 2019 and are one of the top SEC programs every year. If LSU put a "ton of pressure" on Moss, why was able to complete 75% of his passes for close to 400 yards? I' think there's room for concern no?

LSU a "very mediocre" team? LSU won 10 games each of the last two years, a national title in 2019 and are one of the top SEC programs every year. If LSU put a "ton of pressure" on Moss, why was able to complete 75% of his passes for close to 400 yards? I' think there's room for concern no?
LSU defense is bad.

It’s one game, their defense looked better, but they really had nowhere to go but up from last year.

Reactions: bison13
If LSU put a "ton of pressure" on Moss, why was able to complete 75% of his passes for close to 400 yards? I' think there's room for concern no?

"LSU was only able to pressure Miller Moss six times on Sunday. They were able to sack him twice, but he had 37 drop backs, so a 16% pressure rate isn't amazing. For reference, the NFL average is 28%."

Honest, that game reminded me of the bowl vs Ole Miss. USC was throwing quickly, accurately and their WRs were beating the DBs.

LSU's pressure in real time felt like more than 6 though, so I understand why anyone thought that.

Mediocre doesn’t mean what you think it means.

They're not beating Michigan in Ann Arbor. Let's see you twist in your britches trying to argue THAT 😂
Do we play Michigan? If not, that has no impact on what I said.
I also don't agree with that--Michigan doesn't have a QB--it's tough to win without a QB. That's about a 50/50 game.
We'll see how good Michigan is against Texas. You may backtrack quickly

Do we play Michigan? If not, that has no impact on what I said.
I also don't agree with that--Michigan doesn't have a QB--it's tough to win without a QB. That's about a 50/50 game.
We'll see how good Michigan is against Texas. You may backtrack quickly
Delco for some reason doesn't think USC is any good and seemingly doesn't apply the same logic to PSU. We have played one week of CFB -- and both teams had impressive wins away from home, so to speak with USC on a neutral field. The latter beat a much better program than we did, but I guess they aren't any good. Both teams looked the part. And, yes, USC traveling a long way against a physical and rugged Michigan D will be challenging, but I think the Trojans have too much offense for them. Even if USC loses, of course, they will be big challenge for us or anyone in the B1G to beat on the road -- it's not like JF's track record vs blue bloods is something to praise.

I never understand why some people on here refuse to give any credit to another team that might be good, very good, or turn out to be great. Logically, if PSU beats said team, that would make us look even better. It's like that dumb 'overrated' chant people do. If the team you beat is 'overrated' that diminishes your win.

Last edited:
Delco for some reason doesn't think USC is any good and seemingly doesn't apply the same logic to PSU. We have played one week of CFB -- and both teams had impressive wins away from home, so to speak with USC on a neutral field. The latter beat a much better program than we did, but I guess they aren't any good. Both teams looked the part. And, yes, USC traveling a long way against a physical and rugged Michigan D will be challenging, but I think the Trojans have too much offense for them.

I never understand why some people on here refuse to give any credit to another team that might be good, very good, or turn out to be great. Logically, if PSU beats said team, that would make us look even better. It's like that dumb 'overrated' chant people do. If the team you beat is 'overrated' that diminishes your win.
all good points. however, I've been guilty of watching these high powered offenses play and thinking "oh boy". Then when we play them they don't look very good. Neither of those starting QBs was highly regarded. So were they good or just the defenses bad? Also of note LSU's defense was pretty bad last year, specifically the secondary.

One game, either way, isn't enough to know much. LSU may well have game planed to stop the pass with USC having a new QB.

Here is one of the preseason predictions

Reactions: scrivener
They're not beating Michigan in Ann Arbor. Let's see you twist in your britches trying to argue THAT 😂
Michigan is a touchdown underdog at home this week to Texas. I understand that Texas probably is better overall than USC, but that gives you an idea of what the wise guys think about Michigan right now. It seems as if it's going to take some time to replace McCarthy.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT