ADVERTISEMENT

PSU vs Georgia Tech BB

ryoder1

Feb 17, 2007
Figured I would start this.

Close game 39-37 Tech at half. We got a buzzer beating 3 by Baldwin to cut it to 2 at half. Tech dominated last 5 minutes of half, more physical. Gapare on their team is having the game of his life, I think has exceeded his season high for points already.

PSU's D is not that good and rebounding is weak, 9-1 offensive rebounding advantage in favor of Tech Tech getting a lot of offensive rebounds. Poor 3 point shooting is hurting us.

Figured I would start this.

Close game 39-37 Tech at half. We got a buzzer beating 3 by Baldwin to cut it to 2 at half. Tech dominated last 5 minutes of half, more physical. Gapare on their team is having the game of his life, I think has exceeded his season high for points already.

PSU's D is not that good and rebounding is weak, 9-1 offensive rebounding advantage in favor of Tech Tech getting a lot of offensive rebounds. Poor 3 point shooting is hurting us.
Puff is a no-show again. Can’t score doesn’t rebound.

Starting to fade, down by 9, 10, 9:52 left Need a run. CANNOT REBOUND!

72-72 , 36.9 left. Baldwin just misses front end of one and one. Too many missed FTs.

Terrible last play. Wait until 2 seconds left and Baldwin airballs a contested 3. What was that? Really bad. Had a TO to draw that up??

Now starting OT.

Just infuriating to watch 22 hard hedge at the 3 pt line every single frigging possession, only to watch his man get an easy putback. That’s been the entire GT offense and Rhodes refuses to have 22 go way under the screen.

Did I miss GT introduce Curry, Lillard and Durant in teh starting lineup? Shouldn’t we make them prove they can hit an off the dribble 3 before giving up 60 easy put back points?

Reactions: bison13
Wow what a crap way for that to end. Hate to say it but our inability to offensive rebound is the reason we were in that position. Unbelievable how bad that call was. Needed that win come March. BTN now commenting how bad the call was.

Reactions: bison13 and Yanks49
This is what happens when your program has historically been mediocre to non-competitive. You get scalded on calls. When in doubt, call it against PSU. Kraft should be lighting somebody up over that, but probably never will. Look at the conference games. Same story. Sit there at 12th or 13th in the league and shut up.

Wahab has no touch. Missed several putbacks and turnaround jump hooks within 4 feet of the basket that ended up killing us. Hopefully that improves.

Wahab has no touch. Missed several putbacks and turnaround jump hooks within 4 feet of the basket that ended up killing us. Hopefully that improves.
Players today rarely use the backboard. I don't know why. It gives you a better angle and allows you to shoot higher. Drives me crazy when the ball hits the rim directly and misses.

Clary got run over by the shooter on the shot. Shoulda been an offensive foul before the scramble even happened.
With the rule changes apparently there’s no such thing as a charge anymore. Three obvious charges in the game all called blocks (two against PSU, one against GT).

Reactions: Parkland Fan
I called him out at halftime so I’ll give credit or credit is due, puff finally played some decent basketball in the second half. I still think he can give more on the boards and attack the hoop more but the last two games have shown what he and Dunn are capable of.

Reactions: Parkland Fan
Rhoadesie called the call "inexcusable" and also that the official "blew the call." GT players were surprised as well.

Rhoades probably in for a lengthy suspension and $59 billion dollar fine for opening his mouth about it.

Rhoadesie called the call "inexcusable" and also that the official "blew the call." GT players were surprised as well.

Rhoades probably in for a lengthy suspension and $59 billion dollar fine for opening his mouth about it.

I get at least a little solace that Rhoades ripped this incompetent clown. He doesn't care about some ridiculous fine for telling the truth no less. Kraft better be rattling some cages for this BS.

I just hope this loss (actually win that will be recorded as a loss) does not end up burning us come March. It very well could.

I have not watched a lot of PSU hoops yet this season but from what I saw we will be competitive in conference and win games. Clary and Baldwin are solid guards. Need Puff to be more consistent and we need our big guy Wahab to get more aggressive and exert more of a 7 foot presence (defense and offense) around the rim. We clearly need to rebound better and get some other guys (Hicks, Kern, Dunn, Brown) to step up as in getting a couple of them to 10 points per game avg. Dunn is shooting 40% from three and had 17 today vs his season average of 5.5pts. Making more free throws than we did today would help.

I have hopes we can dance this year and think that this team can achieve that goal. I know that there are people on this board that think that dancing is virtually impossible for this team but I look for them to get better as the season rolls on.

I have hopes we can dance this year and think that this team can achieve that goal. I know that there are people on this board that think that dancing is virtually impossible for this team but I look for them to get better as the season rolls on.
The only way we dance this year is if we win the Big Ten tourney. Even if we were really good, we’ve dug way too big of a hole. A good goal would to be the higher seeded team in our Wednesday game at the Big Ten tournament (which means finishing at least the 12th seed) but that’s gonna be a tough goal to achieve.

I get at least a little solace that Rhoades ripped this incompetent clown. He doesn't care about some ridiculous fine for telling the truth no less. Kraft better be rattling some cages for this BS.

I just hope this loss (actually win that will be recorded as a loss) does not end up burning us come March. It very well could.

I have not watched a lot of PSU hoops yet this season but from what I saw we will be competitive in conference and win games. Clary and Baldwin are solid guards. Need Puff to be more consistent and we need our big guy Wahab to get more aggressive and exert more of a 7 foot presence (defense and offense) around the rim. We clearly need to rebound better and get some other guys (Hicks, Kern, Dunn, Brown) to step up as in getting a couple of them to 10 points per game avg. Dunn is shooting 40% from three and had 17 today vs his season average of 5.5pts. Making more free throws than we did today would help.

We blew our chance to be in the dance…you can’t lose to all of the decent teams you play in OOC (and a not so decent one) and expect to make the tournament. Without some miraculous season in conference play, we’re already out.

As for the call itself...it was a brutal one. Ref obviously didn't get a real good look at the play, and anticipated/assumed the contact from Ace. I would have been really pissed if I thought we had a chance to go anywhere this season, but it's all about growth so I'm not overly upset. We did show a lot of fight once again coming back from the late hole we dug ourselves...but need to find a way to give a consistent effort for all 40 (or 45) minutes. It's amazing that we had a chance to win that one with how poor we were on the defensive glass.

Rhoades added that he would not make excuses. They missed plenty of opportunities.
Both teams missed plenty of opportunities and made mistakes. Bottom line, Ga Tech was gifted a win they didn’t earn due to a bad call. It’s not going to make much of a difference in the long run, but it was a horrendous call. Missing opportunities earlier doesn’t excuse a ref failing in his job.

Reactions: bison13
Why is anyone thinking about the dance? Just take this season one game at a time. Get a few nice wins. Show improvement over the course of the season. Show potential recruits that we have a coach that knows how to build a program and show that they'll have fan support throughout the year no matter what. Anything more than that is icing on the cake.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT