ADVERTISEMENT

Question about CJF salary if fired.

republion

Mar 24, 2009
Does he get his entire salary if he is fired regardless of whether or not he goes on to coach elsewhere? Or does he only get his yearly contract paid by PSU if he isn’t coaching elsewhere?

Yes unless they pull a Mel Tucker which is unlikely. Krafty has to step in and demand Franklin gets a better offensive staff. Pur and simple. I’ll give him 3 more yrs… with an elevated offensive staff.

Reactions: aworsnup
Yes unless they pull a Mel Tucker which is unlikely. Krafty has to step in and demand Franklin gets a better offensive staff. Pur and simple. I’ll give him 3 more yrs… with an elevated offensive staff.
Yurchich was supposed to “be that guy.” He averaged the most yards per offensive play in the country with Texas in the Big 12 when he was there. But alas, this isn’t the Big 12….
I think we need a proven OC who has coached in the Big Ten before and knows what it takes to get it done against Big Ten defenses with better athletes. Or maybe get a younger guy like Sean Lewis from CU who could stay for a while and we can grow with moving forward.

Reactions: BOSCO2 and aworsnup
Does he get his entire salary if he is fired regardless of whether or not he goes on to coach elsewhere? Or does he only get his yearly contract paid by PSU if he isn’t coaching elsewhere?
Will Congress pass a law that makes it legal to shoot unicorns? I might as well ask since it’s just as likely to happen as Franklin getting fired.

Yurchich was supposed to “be that guy.” He averaged the most yards per offensive play in the country with Texas in the Big 12 when he was there. But alas, this isn’t the Big 12….
I think we need a proven OC who has coached in the Big Ten before and knows what it takes to get it done against Big Ten defenses with better athletes. Or maybe get a younger guy like Sean Lewis from CU who could stay for a while and we can grow with moving forward.
Love that Sean Lewis suggestion.

He gets 64 million regardless of any other income streams.

Reactions: republion
Will Congress pass a law that makes it legal to shoot unicorns? I might as well ask since it’s just as likely to happen as Franklin getting fired.
Thanks for providing nothing for an answer.

Last edited:
Reactions: aworsnup
One can only hope Franklin gets caught up in this sign stealing operation and commits an NCAA infraction and makes the university look bad because of it. It was reported that Ryan Day and James Franklin were the two most vocal coaches last week when discussing the Michigan situation with the Big Ten. Franklin can’t beat a beatable Michigan team who has a first time head coach for less than 1 day. And then struggled to answer questions from reporters, which demonstrates that Franklin is absolutely clueless out there.

Last edited:
Reactions: beachouse
A nothing answer for a nothing question.
No. It was a worthy question. Whether it would actually happen or not is irrelevant. That seems to be lost on you. I never said it was a possibility. I was simply asking how these contracts were structured. So again, I asked something, you provided nothing. It’s ok to admit that you provided nothing of substance in your reply. Or are you just like CJF and unwilling to admit when you are wrong?

No. It was a worthy question. Whether it would actually happen or not is irrelevant. That seems to be lost on you. I never said it was a possibility. I was simply asking how these contracts were structured. So again, I asked something, you provided nothing. It’s ok to admit that you provided nothing of substance in your reply. Or are you just like CJF and unwilling to admit when you are wrong?
It was a valid question, with an obvious answer. There’s no way PSU is going to eat a $64 million dollar contract, we don’t have a pool of donors either committed enough or crazy enough to pony up that amount of money. Things could always be worse, we’re not stuck with Jimbo Fischer the $500 million, billion, trillion buyout coach, who loses around four games annually.

It was a valid question, with an obvious answer. There’s no way PSU is going to eat a $64 million dollar contract, we don’t have a pool of donors either committed enough or crazy enough to pony up that amount of money. Things could always be worse, we’re not stuck with Jimbo Fischer the $500 million, billion, trillion buyout coach, who loses around four games annually.
The only problem is the "obvious answer" doesn't actually answer the question that was posed. I hate to go all Dave Jones on you all, but read my original post again. Here it is:

"Does he get his entire salary if he is fired regardless of whether or not he goes on to coach elsewhere? Or does he only get his yearly contract paid by PSU if he isn’t coaching elsewhere?"

Notice I didn't ask- do you think Penn State would fire him? Nor did I ask "do we have enough wealthy donors to step up to buy out CJF's contract?" I really didn't think my original post was that difficult to understand.

The only problem is the "obvious answer" doesn't actually answer the question that was posed. I hate to go all Dave Jones on you all, but read my original post again. Here it is:

"Does he get his entire salary if he is fired regardless of whether or not he goes on to coach elsewhere? Or does he only get his yearly contract paid by PSU if he isn’t coaching elsewhere?"

Notice I didn't ask- do you think Penn State would fire him? Nor did I ask "do we have enough wealthy donors to step up to buy out CJF's contract?" I really didn't think my original post was that difficult to understand.
Look there’s guaranteed salary, and performance pay bumps (bowl games, number of wins, conference titles and probably other things). Unless terminated for cause he would be due his total guaranteed salary. Now that could be negotiated down, if he were agreeable. If you were him, and unless your life were totally miserable in SC would you walk away from millions? The most logical way out is for a school with more money than brains to step up to the plate. If you presently know of one that’s “actually” interested at this time contact James agent.

Reactions: republion
Look there’s guaranteed salary, and performance pay bumps (bowl games, number of wins, conference titles and probably other things). Unless terminated for cause he would be due his total guaranteed salary. Now that could be negotiated down, if he were agreeable. If you were him, and unless your life were totally miserable in SC would you walk away from millions? The most logical way out is for a school with more money than brains to step up to the plate. If you presently know of one that’s “actually” interested at this time contact James agent.
The big question is, "what part is guaranteed?" 7 million of his annual salary (close to ten) is guaranteed. What we don't know is what riders, if any, are attached to the 6.5 million he gets in supplemental pay. It is entirely likely that there are riders based on performance which could lower the amount greatly over time. We could owe him the full amount, but we could also owe him a lot less. Either way, we are stuck with him for the time being.

I wasn’t wrong, you asked a question that won’t happen so I asked a question that won’t happen….same thing.

The contract could be $1 and they wouldn’t fire Franklin…thinking otherwise is just fan thinking.

This didn't age well.

If Penn State wanted to get rid of Franklin they should have done so two years ago instead of giving him a giant extension. No way he is even remotely close to the hot seat after what will be back to back `10(possibly 11) win seasons.

Yes Jimbo Fisher got fired, but does Penn State have crazy rich oil money boosters? And Jimbo Fisher wouldn't have gotten fired if he was winning 10 games a year.

Franklin is due his entire compensation as listed in his contract for the remainder of the duration of the contract if terminated by the school.

If he leaves on his own, no idea what he would get. I'm guessing nothing.

Thanks to the horrible previous administration, Franklin holds all the cards. So basically, if Kraft wants rid of Franklin, he needs to make life completely miserable for James. Without harming the program overall. Or hope another team hires him away.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT