ADVERTISEMENT

Question for conservatives on debt and deficit

roswelllion

Aug 18, 2003
So the sham of debt ceiling negotiations is over. FTR the huge difference that was being dicussed was the following. In 10 years the deficit would be
Biden $51 trillion
HoR budget $47 trillion
final passage $49 trillion
IMO the truth is it hardly matters at 47 or 49 or 51 trillion. We will either be screwed or we'll survive. It will largely depend on the rest of the world and how confidant they are with the US staying as the world currency.

My real question is for a conservative where do we go from here. DeSantis is getting hammered by Trump, and if were to prevail would get hammered by the D's for past comments on controlling SS, and Medicare. If you look at the Fed budget in rough strokes 89% of the budget goes to SS, Medicare, Economic hardship, defense, and interest on the debt. ALL other spending accounts for about $800 billion so if you took discretionary spending to ZERO we would still a small annual deficit and with annual cost of living costs going up would likely still result in a $40+ trillion deficit.

So as a conservative what is the proper position?
Admit we will have enormous deficits that at some point will require huge tax increases?
Admit the elephant's in the room are SS, Medicare and Defense and they need to be addressed. The result being maybe never win a national election in which case your principled position is rendered meaningless. I ask that because as a supporter of DeSantis i wish he hadn't said whatever it was he said, and yet it really does need to be said and discussed IMO.
Trust me folks you could eliminate the Dept of Education, Dept of Energy and every other discretionary dept and still NOT SOLVE the problem

Last edited:
Reactions: NJPSU
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News