ADVERTISEMENT

Question for my Lions Den friends

Fox Chapel Lion II

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2011
The Steel City
The other day I mentioned I was semi-retired and @lionlover asked me if I was an attorney. Hell no. I tried to do something productive while I was working!

A little background. In June of last year I was laid off. I had 30 years in with a large energy company familiar to everybody in the Northeast (hint - a big diamond with a red arrow going thru it).

I was a regional guy when we were bought out by a Texas company. At that time I was kept on and reassigned to the Corporate staff. My regional position was filled with a new hire. During the COVID panic they reamed out Corporate and I got the old heave-ho. The Regional and Operations organizations were untouched.

BTW - if you are ever in a hiring position NEVER NEVER settle for somebody thinking to yourself ‘he”ll do’. No. If you’re not wild about a candidate, don’t settle. If HR sends you lightweights and you’re trying to pick the best of a bad bunch, it doesn’t work. Make them do their job and get you a new crop. Hire in haste repent at leisure.

Anyway the guy we brought in was an abject failure and we sent him on his way. It was our own fault. For the second time around we spent more and brought in a highly qualified person with a great track record. Her only problem was, she changes jobs like people change socks. She did an excellent job but is now moving on.

Now my question is - I believe I could have my old regional job back with a couple phone calls. I always thought it was a good position. Salary is high nineties to maybe low six figs. Bonus eligible. Company truck (could be MY old truck). In Pittsburgh covering Philly, Allentown, Scranton, Altoona and Pittsburgh.

My house is paid off. Financially I am in very good position. No spouse no kiddos. The company paid me to go away, I’m currently working part time for a consultant however the hours are scarce and I’m not making any money. I’m taking a monthly IRA distribution which can be turned off with a phone call,

I’d like to work 3 more years or so. Get back to company paid health coverage. Make another $300 grand. Have a little fun doing what I like with people I like. The job, I can do great with one hand tied behind my back and a blindfold on, I have a great relationship with both the Regional Manager and the General Manager.

What do you all think about pulling a Bob Stoops and giving it another go?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News