Question on split ticket voting

Obliviax

Gold Member
Aug 21, 2001
It is pretty uncommon for voters to split tickets. In presidential years, the party that wins the presidency wins almost everything else. In PA, what is the top of the ticket? Gov or Senator?

I see the PA GOP gov is saying he's gotten a recent jolt vs Shapiro. Is that due to Fetterman's complete dumpster fire and this is reverberating throughout the voting base (no split tickets, you vote GOP for Senate and just do the same for Gov)?

Reactions: bourbon n blues

bourbon n blues

Nov 20, 2019
It is pretty uncommon for voters to split tickets. In presidential years, the party that wins the presidency wins almost everything else. In PA, what is the top of the ticket? Gov or Senator?

I see the PA GOP gov is saying he's gotten a recent jolt vs Shapiro. Is that due to Fetterman's complete dumpster fire and this is reverberating throughout the voting base (no split tickets, you vote GOP for Senate and just do the same for Gov)?
Yes overall, along with polling errors, and the other issues we see.

Reactions: Obliviax

gjbankos

Jan 16, 2006

In PA the first person on the ballot is the Senator seat. At least, that is what the sample ballot shows in the county where I live. I pulled up a sample ballot in the county where I grew up and it is the same there. So I think we can safely say the senator seat is the top of the ticket on the ballot.

But there's many people that have no problem splitting tickets. I would not hang my hat on winning an election at governor because of where they are on the ballot.

psu skp

Gold Member
Nov 7, 2016
50 yard line after dark
My experience is that most split-ticket voting can be traced to incumbency. A lot of people will vote for Oz in Pennsylvania, for example, but still vote for their current Representative because of name recognition.

Reactions: bourbon n blues

JR4PSU

Sep 27, 2002
SE PA

I think for executive position (President, Governor, Mayor) I can see voting for the opposing party from your own. Because they generally are individuals. But for positions that are a membership of a group, it doesn't make sense to vote against your own party. Simply because, regardless of how a particular candidate may campaign, once in office, they will typically vote their party's position. So, voting for a Senator or Representative or School Board member not of your party will likely result in voting for someone that will not vote with your party on much of anything. Whereas the executive positions tend to result in a more independent behavior, as their true constituency and concerns are broader than just their own party's.

Fayette_LION

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2004

Pa use to have a box where you could check and votes were cast for all in one party. That has been done away with thankfully.

Reactions: Obliviax

Obliviax

Gold Member
Aug 21, 2001
I think for executive position (President, Governor, Mayor) I can see voting for the opposing party from your own. Because they generally are individuals. But for positions that are a membership of a group, it doesn't make sense to vote against your own party. Simply because, regardless of how a particular candidate may campaign, once in office, they will typically vote their party's position. So, voting for a Senator or Representative or School Board member not of your party will likely result in voting for someone that will not vote with your party on much of anything. Whereas the executive positions tend to result in a more independent behavior, as their true constituency and concerns are broader than just their own party's.
Thanks...but I'll say this, I wouldn't vote for Fetterman if he was the last candidate on earth. I think his face is a complete embarrassment for PA and that PA would be better off only having one Senator than having him be one of the two. I can't think of a single senator in the history of senators who were a worse representation of the state than him. The only politician I can think of is Sherrif Jim Traficant, of Youngstown Ohio, who was a house rep for many years.

Reactions: psuted

JR4PSU

Sep 27, 2002
SE PA
Thanks...but I'll say this, I wouldn't vote for Fetterman if he was the last candidate on earth. I think his face is a complete embarrassment for PA and that PA would be better off only having one Senator than having him be one of the two. I can't think of a single senator in the history of senators who were a worse representation of the state than him. The only politician I can think of is Sherrif Jim Traficant, of Youngstown Ohio, who was a house rep for many years.
Well, a state can't unilaterally decide to have just one Senator. It doesn't work that way. And if I were a Democrat and actually believed what those morons believe, then I would probably vote for him. He would at least vote the way his party votes. He certainly would not be of any use in any debate or conversation, and he wouldn't be up to actually helping his constituents with any problems, but he would vote his party line. So, there is that.

He is simply not qualified to actually perform any duties other than voting. But remember, the Democrats put in Hank Johnson, who thinks Guam will sink due to overpopulation.

Obliviax

Gold Member
Aug 21, 2001
Well, a state can't unilaterally decide to have just one Senator. It doesn't work that way. And if I were a Democrat and actually believed what those morons believe, then I would probably vote for him. He would at least vote the way his party votes. He certainly would not be of any use in any debate or conversation, and he wouldn't be up to actually helping his constituents with any problems, but he would vote his party line. So, there is that.

He is simply not qualified to actually perform any duties other than voting. But remember, the Democrats put in Hank Johnson, who thinks Guam will sink due to overpopulation.
of course, I know that. But voting on bills is a very minor part of what a senator does. The voting is the end game of months of preparation, communication and negotiation (inside and outside of Washington).

But I think seeing Lurch represent PA is a horrible representation and will hurt PA on the world stage. Citizens of PA will look like the biggest idiots in the nation.

EbwtuF-XsAA1Cel.jpg

Ski

May 29, 2001
Pa use to have a box where you could check and votes were cast for all in one party. That has been done away with thankfully.
It would save me a lot of time. Now I have to go through every race individually. There is no way I would ever vote for a Democrat, ever. If there are races where a Democrat is running unopposed, I don’t vote for anyone. Why waste my time when the result is the same?

Reactions: JR4PSU