ADVERTISEMENT

Questions for the baseball fans here: Will the Pirate win again this season??

GregInPitt

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
USC
I don't know partly due to not being a baseball fan since the Pirates became a farm team.....:oops:

I don't know partly due to not being a baseball fan since the Pirates became a farm team.....:oops:
The Pirates are a 4A farm team for the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, and a few others. They are also a vehicle that the owner uses to steal money from the people of Pittsburgh, who continue to show up to eat nachos and hot dogs and see fireworks. Even the announcers are career yes men who, year after year after year, kiss this crook's ass, and refuse to call him out. Yep, I'm looking right at you Bob Walk, and you too John Wehner.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
The Pirates are a 4A farm team for the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, and a few others. They are also a vehicle that the owner uses to steal money from the people of Pittsburgh, who continue to show up to eat nachos and hot dogs and see fireworks. Even the announcers are career yes men who, year after year after year, kiss this crook's ass, and refuse to call him out. Yep, I'm looking right at you Bob Walk, and you too John Wehner.
The announcers are the very least of the Pirates problems. The people of Pittsburgh need to stop paying for this farce. I know I did.

Reactions: Delcolion915
I honestly didn't play on a team after little league that played as poorly as they did today. Total bush league. Dropping a pop-up, whiffing on catching a throw on the pick-off, throwing home on the fly rather than low for the cut-off, two runners thrown out on the bases. Add those to their normal inability to put the ball in play with a runner on third and less than two outs, and inordinate amount of taken third strikes. Pitiful.

I honestly didn't play on a team after little league that played as poorly as they did today. Total bush league. Dropping a pop-up, whiffing on catching a throw on the pick-off, throwing home on the fly rather than low for the cut-off, two runners thrown out on the bases. Add those to their normal inability to put the ball in play with a runner on third and less than two outs, and inordinate amount of taken third strikes. Pitiful.
I honestly didn’t play on a team after minor league (fifth grade). Took a pitch to the head and couldn’t stay in the batters box.

Decided baseball was too dangerous so I played football instead!😹

Wow. The losing has now kicked into prime "Nutting mode". Nobody, I mean nobody, loves robbing fans more than Poindexter the white collar criminal.

• Haha
Reactions: GregInPitt
Wow. The losing has now kicked into prime "Nutting mode". Nobody, I mean nobody, loves robbing fans more than Poindexter the white collar criminal.
At least The Fan hosts this morning have been blasting the nerds who run that organization, especially about how their GM said yesterday on his radio show that he had nothing to do with the decision to limit Jones' innings last Tuesday when he was pitching a one hitter and was basically unhittable, but got taken out after the fifth inning after only thowing 59 pitches.

For you baseball experts...how much of the game is won "off the field", in the scouting pitchers and hitters in advance of games. If baseball is a game of intricate adjustments, then do the better teams have a higher payroll that accommodates more staff and resources for this? Does MLB cap it in anyway? Do the Pirates not do a good job in the area? Is that the reason for Bucco backslides, because other teams have our pitchers' and batters' "numbers"?

For you baseball experts...how much of the game is won "off the field", in the scouting pitchers and hitters in advance of games. If baseball is a game of intricate adjustments, then do the better teams have a higher payroll that accommodates more staff and resources for this? Does MLB cap it in anyway? Do the Pirates not do a good job in the area? Is that the reason for Bucco backslides, because other teams have our pitchers' and batters' "numbers"?
As a former season ticket holder I can tell you that the Pirates don’t do a good job in any area. We had a 24 game plan because we were out of town. Our seats were great at Three Rivers, along the first base line and they allowed us to exchange games so we could load up on a series and stay over for 3 and 4 day weekends. Then the new stadium came on line and they kicked all partial plans upstairs because they were banking on a windfall. After a season of sitting in the upper deck looking down over the empty seats along first and third lines we gave up our tickets never to return. The Pirate ownership is inept at all phases of the business.

As a former season ticket holder I can tell you that the Pirates don’t do a good job in any area. We had a 24 game plan because we were out of town. Our seats were great at Three Rivers, along the first base line and they allowed us to exchange games so we could load up on a series and stay over for 3 and 4 day weekends. Then the new stadium came on line and they kicked all partial plans upstairs because they were banking on a windfall. After a season of sitting in the upper deck looking down over the empty seats along first and third lines we gave up our tickets never to return. The Pirate ownership is inept at all phases of the business.
I understand your point, but the current ownership was not there when the Pirates moved into PNC Park. That's not to dismiss much of the incompetence and lack of ambition that the current ownership has demonstarted since they took over this franchise.

Based on reading your comments, your Pirates' experiences seem to be similar to mine. My younger brother, uncle and I used to attend probably half of the games at TRS beginning in the mid 70s, and we saw so much great baseball and so many great players; we mostly would sit in the left field GA seats with the same group. I even attended Games 3 and 5 of the 1979 World Series. During the 70s, the Pirates made the playoffs six times and won two World Series. By any measure, they were one of the best franchises in all of baseball, and were way ahead of most with their Latin American and black player development. Those were great times, and I'm lucky that I grew up in that era.

However, since the 1979 World Series, the Pirates have not won a playoff series, and only have made the playoffs or Wild Card game six times. That's pathetic and ridiculous and every other negative adjective that you can apply to this situation. I feel sorry for the kids past and present who never knew and never will know what it's like to celebrate a World Series Championship. The shame of it is that if they were even in the playoff race in September, this area would support that team so well. Back in the 2013 to 2015 era, the Pirates had this town in the palms of their hands, and the current ownership threw it all away.

Last edited:
I understand your point, but the current ownership was not there when the Pirates moved into PNC Park. That's not to dismiss much of the incompetence and lack of ambition that the current ownership has demonstarted since they took over this franchise.

Based on reading your comments, your Pirates' experiences seem to be similar to mine. My younger brother, uncle and I used to attend probably half of the games at TRS beginning in the mid 70s, and we saw so much great baseball and players; we mostly would sit in the left field GA seats with the same group. I even attended Games 3 and 5 of the 1979 World Series. During the 70s, the Pirates made the playoffs six times and won two World Series. By any measure, they were one of the best franchises in all of baseball, and were way ahead of most with their Latin American and black player development. Those were great times, and I'm lucky that I grew up in that era.

However, since the 1979 World Series, the Pirates have not won a playoff series, and only have made the playoffs or Wild Card game six times. That's pathetic and ridiculous and every other negative adjective that you can apply to this situation. I feel sorry for the kids past and present who never knew and never will know what it's like to celebrate a World Series Championship. The shame of it is that if they were even in the playoff race in September, this area would support that team so well. Back in the 2013 t0 2015 era, the Pirates had this town in the palm of their hands, and the current ownership threw it all away.
The Nutting family was part of the ownership group in the years prior to PNC Park. I was at the magical age for a kid when the Pirates won the World Series in 1971. I wrote a letter to Willie Stargell from my Penn State dorm room in the offseason after the 1979 World Championship. He wrote back and sent me a Stargell star.

The Nutting family was part of the ownership group in the years prior to PNC Park. I was at the magical age for a kid when the Pirates won the World Series in 1971. I wrote a letter to Willie Stargell from my Penn State dorm room in the offseason after the 1979 World Championship. He wrote back and sent me a Stargell star.
When my brother and I would sit in the left field GA seats at TRS, we would pester the other team's pitchers for batting practice baseballs while they were shagging them. Pitchers like Charlie Hough and Bob Knepper, to name a few, threw my brother and me baseballs. I still have them somewhere with the name of the pitcher who threw it, the date and game score. Those were great times.

By the way, my brother became a huge Dodgers fan during the Garvey, Lopes, Russell and Cey era, and my nephew and he actually attended a game at Dodger Stadium two Fridays ago when they played SD; this fulfilled one of his sports bucket list items. Both Betts and Ohtani hit homers in that game.

Last edited:
When my brother and I would sit in the left field GA seats at TRS, we would pester the other team's pitchers for batting practice baseballs while they were shagging them. Pitchers like Charlie Hough and Bob Knepper, to name a few, threw my brother and me baseballs. I still have them somewhere with the name of the pitcher who threw it, the date and game score. Those were great times.

By the way, my brother became a huge Dodgers fans during the Garvey, Lopes, Russell and Cey era, and my nephew and he actually attended a game at Didget Stadium two Fridays ago when they played SD; this fulfilled one of his sports bucket list items. Both Betts and Ohtani hit homers in that game.
Baseball is a special game despite what MLB keeps doing to ruin it. One game at Three Rivers we were sitting down the right field line last seat beside the Pirates bullpen. A foul pop came by and I reached over the railing into the pen and made a barehanded catch. All the relief pitchers looked up and gave me the polite golf clap.

A couple nice starting pitching efforts and Pirates take first two from the Brewers.

McCutcheon adds a leadoff homer in the first in both. Tonight’s was against a kid making his major league debut on his first pitch. He quickly turned it around and didn’t give up anymore runs through 5, so a hard luck loss.

It's no surprise that once again they are the worst hitting team in baseball. That's because hitting costs money. Any cheap team can stock up a bullpen then brag about how great the bullpen is, and still lose 90 to 100 games every season. That's the Pirates and we all know the reason why.

When are the people of Pittsburgh going to stand up and protest at the ballpark? We, as fans, deserve this shit as long as we remain silent. Take this franchise back from the criminal who robs us, and major league baseball every season.

Fake moves like sacrificing the GM, manager and hitting coach will make it appear that they care. They don't. This asshole is going to keep robbing the people of Pittsburgh and then hand it over to his daughters, who will do the same thing. We have to do something about this. Or at least try.

F U Nutting.

It's no surprise that once again they are the worst hitting team in baseball. That's because hitting costs money. Any cheap team can stock up a bullpen then brag about how great the bullpen is, and still lose 90 to 100 games every season. That's the Pirates and we all know the reason why.

When are the people of Pittsburgh going to stand up and protest at the ballpark? We, as fans, deserve this shit as long as we remain silent. Take this franchise back from the criminal who robs us, and major league baseball every season.

Fake moves like sacrificing the GM, manager and hitting coach will make it appear that they care. They don't. This asshole is going to keep robbing the people of Pittsburgh and then hand it over to his daughters, who will do the same thing. We have to do something about this. Or at least try.

F U Nutting.
This has only been going on for 30 years but thanks for noticing. Swept today by the magnificent Athletics in front of 4,600 rabid fans who braved the prospect of having their cars broken into. Remember when MLB was the National Pastime? Yeah, me neither.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT