ADVERTISEMENT

Rachael Denhollander

president barren: jim, this is eric barren from Penn State. Say, I am truly horrified by the cover-up perpetrated by michigan state to protect larry nassar. I think the b1g needs to send a strong message to the nation that integrity and victim rights are our top priorities. I therefore think the b1g should revoke michigan state's membership.

jim delany: eric, *pause* *pause* Penn State is just lucky to be playing college.

president barren: jim, of course, you're right again. Forget what I just said. Have a nice day.

Apparently culture problem equals entitlement, because of who I am.

Nassar's apology was abhorrent, ask Rachael.

Give David Harns credit. At least someone at MSU is trying.

But also compare the response we've seen from the MSU community to our response 6 years ago.

* PSU Alumni immediately raised and donated $500,000 to RAINN. Most of us here donated. Not to mention the time we donated to local charities, churches and support services to make an impact.
* 10,000 Penn State students (equipped with lit candle sticks) gathered on the lawn of Old Main for a vigil to honor the survivors.
* Our biggest football stars (LaVar Arrington) came home and led us into prayer at the vigil... LA summoned his inner Joe Paterno and challenged the university community to live up to our self-professed ideals and embrace a position of leadership in the fight against child abuse.
* Our football team wore blue ribbons on our classic white helmets to spread awareness about child abuse for a full football season.
* 107,000 Penn State fans independently organized a "Blue Out" fundraiser at Beaver Stadium to support the prevention -- and survivors -- of child abuse.
* Penn State University invested $7,000,000 (straight from the football program) into plans and facilities for a master plan designed to lead our country in the fight against child abuse.
* The Big Ten made PSU pay an additional $13,000,000-$17,000,000 to fund our fellow Big Ten institutional peers in their charitable efforts in the fight against child sexual abuse (meanwhile, there were massive, unpunished acts of child sexual abuse playing out at the University of Michigan's Mott Children's Hospital and OSU's hospital).

There are hundreds, or probably more like thousands of examples of Penn State people coming together to make an impact for this cause. None of it was ever intended as "bragging points..." but my question is, where the hell is Lou Anna Simon, Tom Izzo, Mark Dantonio, Kathy Klages, the MSU alumni association, their students, their community at large... what is UM or OSU doing... what on earth have any of these communities done to express a single ounce of care or concern for the victims of child rape, and -- in particular -- the biggest scandal in the history of intercollegiate athletics at Michigan State University?

At least Penn State reported outside the university in both 1998 and 2001. But they still threw us to the wolves. cc: Lou Anna Simon

Last edited:
Nobody knows better than PSU what it feels like to be tarred by that brush. Congrats, ChiTown, for the vision to reach out to Harns. You are correct to recognize that if we use Nasser as nothing but ammo to hammer Simon, then AGAIN, the story of the nice guy serial predator will not be told.

No one despises LAS more than me, but that is going to prove no more effective than despising JVP in the end.

In fact, it is also a waste of time (though not unfair) to despise Nasser. He is what he is. Even while admitting he did some small fraction of what he actually did, he was manipulating everyone within the sound of his voice. Imagine what a good Catholic must feel. Your church (mine, once upon a time) ripped to shreds by these offenders, and now they have to listen to this guy say he says the rosary for his victims.

But every minute we spend hating on him is a minute we do not have to spend educating our community.

Wise of you to see this.

Reactions: JmmyW and green2623
FWIW I spoke with David Harns on Wednesday while he was on a break at the Nassar sentencing hearing. He is pretty well versed on what went down here at Penn State and he understands the dynamics that brought it about. He is just trying to process Nassar, like so many others - it's hit the Mid-Michigan community pretty badly.

I apologized to him for the actions of our PA office of attorney general, because if they had properly prosecuted the Sandusky case from the get go and not tried to assassinate Dr. Spanier - perhaps - just perhaps - his community would have had maybe a 10 minute window of warning before the Nassar asteroid hit. Whether they could have done anything? Probably not - so many women came forward in a Tsunami.

He found it interesting that our state Supreme Court implemented that Task Force on grand juries and their presentments - but that's another thread.

Freeh had a chance on July 12, 2012 when the nation was glued to their screens to educate about Nice Guy Offenders - but alas, that was not his business model, and these young women were off to the London Summer Olympics to be abused by Nice Guy Larry Nassar.

The silence of Mark Emmert and Jim Delany regarding these young women that complained to MSU leadership about Nassar, who played on scholarship at MSU, sought treatment from Nassar because they needed to be healthy in order to maintain their scholarship so they could play their NCAA sanctioned sport and stay in class on a Big Ten campus is inexcusable. It is pathetically clear now, that Emmert & Delany used the Paterno name and the squeaky clean image of Penn State Football, purely to flex their muscles in an effort to improve their crummy optics.

Unless I missed it - I have not heard a statement from either of these suits about the women and girls abused while on their watch. Which tells me they don't give a damn & they never did.

I am in hopes that Rachael holds MSU leadership's feet to the fire on this issue and it spreads to an outcry against the leadership at the NCAA and Big Ten.

I also see where lawyer John Manly will not be going away on that issue as well & I suspect he will weaponize Louis Freeh in some fashion against MSU. Because "Penn State".

I agree with @demlion that Dr. Lou Anna "pretty pervasive" Simon needs to pick up the phone and personally apologize to Sue Paterno. It's the right thing to do - especially after everyone waved off the Clemente report as paid propaganda by her family.

Give David Harns credit. At least someone at MSU is trying.

But also compare the response we've seen from the MSU community to our response 6 years ago.

* PSU Alumni immediately raised and donated $500,000 to RAINN. Most of us here donated. Not to mention the time we donated to local charities, churches and support services to make an impact.
* 10,000 Penn State students (equipped with lit candle sticks) gathered on the lawn of Old Main for a vigil to honor the survivors.
* Our biggest football stars (LaVar Arrington) came home and led us into prayer at the vigil... LA summoned his inner Joe Paterno and challenged the university community to live up to our self-professed ideals and embrace a position of leadership in the fight against child abuse.
* Our football team wore blue ribbons our classic white helmets to spread awareness about child abuse for a full football season.
* 107,000 Penn State fans independently organized a "Blue Out" fundraiser at Beaver Stadium to support the prevention -- and survivors -- of child abuse.
* Penn State University invested $7,000,000 (straight from the football program) into plans and facilities for a master plan designed to lead our country in the fight against child abuse.
* The Big Ten made PSU pay an additional $13,000,000-$17,000,000 to fund our fellow Big Ten institutional peers in their charitable efforts in the fight against child sexual abuse (meanwhile, there were massive, unpunished acts of child sexual abuse playing out at the University of Michigan's Mott Children's Hospital and OSU's hospital).

There are hundreds, or probably more like thousands of examples of Penn State people coming together to make an impact for this cause. None of it was ever intended as "bragging points..." but my question is, where the hell is Lou Anna Simon, Tom Izzo, Mark Dantonio, Kathy Klages, the MSU alumni association, their students, their community at large... what is UM or OSU doing... what on earth have any of these communities done to express a single ounce of care or concern for the victims of child rape, and -- in particular -- the biggest scandal in the history of intercollegiate athletics at Michigan State University?

At least Penn State reported outside the university in both 1998 and 2001. But they still threw us to the wolves. cc: Lou Anna Simon

Good point Chi.

Note that the victims advocates here in Pennsylvania also decried a "cover up" (they didn't ever wait for the court process to play out) and trotted out folks like (now disgraced) SNAP leadership for comment and to fuel outrage.

I have not seen that in the MSU case - but perhaps it is not making it to the papers in an effort to generate clicks and extort funding, like these shameless entities did using the Paterno name.

I will have to ask about that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT