ADVERTISEMENT

Ranking the B1G Football Coaches

mickey_PSU

Gold Member
Feb 1, 2006
NEPA
After seeing the thread (Franklin v. Meyer" or something like that and seeing some comments about Franklin as a recruiter and as an on-field coach, I got to thinking about all the coaches in the conference and wondered how they're looked at by us fans... here's my "power Rankings" based upon my view of their coaching and recruiting abilities...

1. Urban Meyer... while I hate to put him here, OSU is the King right now bot on-field and in recruiting
2. Mark Dantonio... his teams have been extremely competitive and his recruiting skills seem to be blossoming.
3 James Franklin... a bit early to fully judge but given his record at Vanderbilt, what he's done recruiting so far and how well he did last season during what was predicted to be the worse year after the sanctions, I think he's earned the no. 3 spot and, looking through extremely biased glasses, I see him as the Urbs slayer over the next couple years.
4. Jerry Kill... I'm amazed at the job he's done at Minnesota. He's not here due to recruiting, but as a coach, he gets the most out of his players
5. Pat Fitzgerald... same as no. 4, excellent on-field coach, maybe one of the best.
6. Jim Harbaugh... name recognition, Michigan storied history and recruiting success this year, plus his record at Stanford and I think he's deserving of this ranking for now (I expect him to eventually rise)
7. Kevin Wilson... Indiana has been the perennial doormat of the B1G but Wilson's done a respectable job of making them competitive (overall); but they're still having a tough time recruiting.
8. Kirk Ferentz... okay at recruiting but Ferentz usually, although not lately, gets the absolute most out of his players.
9. Randy Edsall...Tough to recruit at Maryland but he's had them pretty competitive. He needs to step it up soon or Maryland will probably start looking for a new coach.
10. Mike Reilly... Nebraska's new coach doesn't have much of a rep as far as I'm concerned but he's coached in the NFL and he's had success elsewhere. Recruiting at Nebraska will be tough- jury is still out, imo.
11. Paul Chryst... probably should be ranked higher, don't have much of an opinion yet but since I find the remaining coaches "iffy" at best, I'll just throw him in here- looking forward to others points of view.
12. Tim Beckman... he brought his team back from a bad start to get them into a bowl game. Recruiting wise, not all that great, imo.
13. Kyle Flood... he's kept Rutgers competitive and he's gotten a few decent recruits, seems to be building some kind of vibe at Rutgers (not sure what kind it is) but I find myself questioning his on-field coaching in a lot of games- since I know little compared to what a head coach should know, either I'm way off base or he's just an okay coach.
14. Darrell Hazell... who? Purdue is now the doormat of the B1G, absolutely awful both in recruiting and on the field.

What say you guys- this is just my humble opinion based upon not a whole lot LOL.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News