ADVERTISEMENT

REALISTIC offensive changes

I know it seems like a bad game because they lost but watch the footwork the last month of the season. That’s where Hacks downfall started as well. Poor footwork and no pocket presence leads to inaccurate passes.
I love Allar, but the fact is a JF offense is better suited for a Pribula type qb. Not one person in Columbus on Saturday was scared that drew would run.
If you are correct, why would Franklin recruit Allar knowing he was not a fit?

Allar is (or was) fine. Earlier in the year there wasn't a throw he could not make. His mechanics looked impeccable.

What changed? In my view the same thing happened to Clifford. Hackenberg also got ruined in much the same way -- weak offensive lines and plays that are slow to develop, putting the quarterback on his back. McSorley was different but got banged up running the ball. Towards the end he could barely heave a pass.

A lot of the problem is the incredible lack of creativity in our running attack despite starting with superstars. Defense is made so simple for the opposition. It's been this way ever since Franklin arrived and brought us the modern college offense. Trouble is that he uses the typical formation but then implements very little of what can be done from it. Hate the blocking too. Every run is like an old style draw play with no line push.

I think back to when Barkley was around. On one hand he was a sensation and fun to watch. On the other hand you had to hope he could break free from a swarm of people collapsing on the mesh point.

A weak running game with no creativity puts pressure on the passing game. Pressure on the passing game ruins your passing quarterback. Add in a weak receiving group that can't break free and it's a disaster. This has happened too many times at Penn State.

If you want evidence of a screwed up system look no further than Will Levis. In the right system, and with the right coaching, a player like that can develop and thrive. I see Allar as being from the same mold -- definitely NFL material when he came. If he doesn't develop given all of the tools at the start then the problem is mental -- system and coaching. I think the OSU game was proof of what is going wrong. The kid got buried and might just be left with mental scars that could ruin his future.

Let's hope something changes. I'm not optimistic because we had tons of time to prepare for OSU and showed nothing. In fact the new stuff was embarrassing.

I know it seems like a bad game because they lost but watch the footwork the last month of the season. That’s where Hacks downfall started as well. Poor footwork and no pocket presence leads to inaccurate passes.
I love Allar, but the fact is a JF offense is better suited for a Pribula type qb. Not one person in Columbus on Saturday was scared that drew would run.
Care to revise your comments after today's game?

Reactions: summitlion1
His footwork was much better today. He had a couple of throws where he lapsed, but for the most part it was much better and you saw the results.

Allar was much better today because (1) he wasn't pressured as much, and (2) Maryland gave plenty of space for the check-down receivers. It's obvious that when he is able to make a read and step into the throw he is deadly accurate. Not only accurate, but throws the ball with a quick release and with the right trajectory. Few quarterbacks can do that.

The key is coming up with a game plan to make that happen when the competition is better. We know it's a problem when the DL stunts and brings extra pressure straight up the gut.

Reactions: maxoscar
Allar was much better today because (1) he wasn't pressured as much, and (2) Maryland gave plenty of space for the check-down receivers. It's obvious that when he is able to make a read and step into the throw he is deadly accurate. Not only accurate, but throws the ball with a quick release and with the right trajectory. Few quarterbacks can do that.

The key is coming up with a game plan to make that happen when the competition is better. We know it's a problem when the DL stunts and brings extra pressure straight up the gut.
While I agree with your assessment, Allar didn't look nearly this good against much lesser opponents like Deleware, UMass and NW. Does this mean something has finally clicked for him?

Reactions: royboy
While I agree with your assessment, Allar didn't look nearly this good against much lesser opponents like Deleware, UMass and NW. Does this mean something has finally clicked for him?
Brock Huard was mentioning yesterday that Allar's high school tapes show him 8 yds back in an empty set gun-slinging it all over the place. That allowed him to have better vision and step forward in the pocket with confidence. He was doing that yesterday.

Michigan will bring pressure. Michigan will play tight on our receivers. Exactly what OSU did to PSU and the result was our offense was in the dumper.

No. I stand by what I said. If you look today DA actually ran the ball some so if anything it made my point that him running opens up some other avenues for his throws.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT