ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting: Checking in from Atlanta

Ryan Snyder/BWI Staff

Aug 11, 2010
I finally got to my hotel room after traveling all afternoon.

I posted the note on Jaeden Gould from my phone. That comes as a total surprise. Our USC reporter is going to reach out to him, but I'm hearing from sources that he's going to make a surprise move here and go to USC. It genuinely caught Penn State off guard from what I understand, but I only had a brief talk while waiting to catch the train. I'll try to learn more when I can.

I was also able to ask about 2022 WR Tyler Johnson and OL Alessandro Lorenzetti, both of whom worked out today. The quick response was that they both did as expected or better and now Penn State will push forward when it comes to additional visits. Johnson confirmed that he will be here Friday-Sunday for an official visit, and I do think if he made a decision in the near future he'd be a take, so keep an eye on that. Of course, what happens with Darrius Clemons and Cristian Driver could impact him, but I believe there is a path to adding all three. Lorenzetti is going to return, but his schedule is all over the place right now. The goal is to get him here early next week, potentially Monday or Tuesday, and whether it's an official visit or not is also still iffy. But, I do expect him back and I expect the staff to push hard for him.

While, I have you, I'm down here to primarily watch Kaden Saunders light it up tomorrow at the Five-Star Challenge. He was great at the Future 50 camp this past weekend and our national team will be watching him closely Thursday. If he does it again, he could become PSU's top-ranked player in the class. Since we've talked about his recruitment a good bit over the past year, is there anything you guys would like for me to ask him? I'm giving you guys an opportunity to run some questions past Kaden. They can be serious and recruiting related or have fun with it. Obviously, keep it appropriate. I expect him to put on a show tomorrow, so I plan to collect a ton of video.

CB Keenan Nelson will also be here, and I plan to do a full interview with him as well, so if there's anything you'd like for me to ask Keenan, let me know below. Can't promise I can ask everything, but I'll try to get some info that you guys want to learn.

Other notable prospects I expect to see tomorrow include: RB Damari Alston, LB Shawn Murphy, RB Daylan Smothers (2023), DE James Heard Jr. (2023), DT Will Norman (2023) and LB Rico Walker (2023).

There is also an Underclassmen Challenge on Friday that I will attend. I'm still trying to get a feel for that list. Due to covid, the players have to pay their own way to Atlanta this year (it's the same with The Opening) so these lists are very fluid.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News