ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Notes: Dec. 11

RyanSnyder

BWI Recruiting Analyst
Silver Member
Nov 2, 2013
Bellefonte
Just a few things that I've confirmed over the past 24 hours

- I caught up with contacts last night regarding Saf. Noa Pola-Gates and I can confirm that PSU is out of the running. It's a bit surprising to hear considering his uncle's ties to the program. Distance from home doesn't appear to be an issue either. Ultimately, it just sounds like Alabama and Nebraska just have surpassed PSU.

- With Pola-Gates out of the picture, Penn State is probably done at defensive back, but they'll still likely monitor some safety prospects. Basically, I was told that Penn State is focused on adding four more defensive lineman - Isaac, Ellies, Hunte and Vilbert. If they miss out on any of those guys and can't find another defensive lineman they're high on, adding another defensive back late is still possible. But as now, it looks doubtful that we'll see another defensive back in this class.

- James Franklin, Sean Spencer, Phil Galiano and Brent Pry are expected to have an in-home visit with DT D'Von Ellies and his family this evening. According to his coach, Hakeem Sule, Ellies still hasn't decided on whether he'll sign next week or wait. He's expected to announce publicly Jan. 19 at the Polynesian Bowl. From asking around, I know Penn State wants to lock him up. USC is coming strong and Ohio State is also in the mix, but losing Urban Meyer, plus the uncertainty surrounding Larry Johnson Sr. and how long he'll stay around, has helped PSU with Ellies. Don't be surprised if he signs next week but tries to keep it quiet. I still think Penn State is the team to beat.

- James Franklin and David Corley are expected to meet with WR Cornelius Johnson Thursday, according to contacts. That makes senses. Franklin wants to meet with Johnson and his family one last time before he heads to Michigan this upcoming weekend. The contact period ends Sunday, Dec. 15.

- Sean Spencer, Phil Galiano and Brent Pry met with DE Smith Vilbert at his school earlier today. James Franklin did not use his visit. Vilbert has hinted that he may sign on Dec. 19, but the fact that Penn State decided to save Franklin's visit leads me to believe that he's still leaning towards signing in February. Penn State is trying to seal the deal with him before next week, but he also wants to take at least one more official visit to Florida. We'll see what happens. Spencer, Galiano and Pry are now in Baltimore where they'll meet Franklin for the Ellies in-home visit.

- I was told that Ricky Rahne and Ja'Jaun Seider are down in Florida today, but I'm still trying to clarify some things. I believe they met with RB Noah Cain at IMG Academy, but again, I need to double-check on that. Cain's father told me this morning that he thought a visit would come later in the week, but it sounds like Penn State is down in the Sunshine State today. I'm also hoping to clarify what that means for Mark-Antony Richards and John Dunmore. I don't believe James Franklin has used his in-home visit with Dunmore yet, which is notable. We know Franklin won't be doing that visit today. I would expect it to come later in the week. Last time I checked, Richards won't be signing until February, so I don't expect Franklin to visit with his family until January.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News