ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Notes: Recapping the Delaware Underclassmen Combine

RyanSnyder

BWI Recruiting Analyst
Silver Member
Nov 2, 2013
Bellefonte
In a normal year, Penn State would've just hosted its Lasch Bash barbecue this past weekend, as well as its final camp the summer on Sunday. That camp would've been about the 10th camp I attended this year, but with The Opening, Rivals and Under Armour all cancelling its regional camps before they made it to the northeast, plus the NCAA shutting down all on-campus contact, we weren't able to do any of that this year.

With that said, there have been a handful of camps in the region in recent weeks. The ESPN affiliated Underclassmen Combine has hosted a few camps in July. That's the camp that Kobe & Kalen King, as well Jamari Buddin, attended in Ohio a few weeks ago. That circuit made it to Delaware this past weekend, and a few of my colleagues decided to attend. This camp is open to juniors, but there weren't many notable 2021 players at the Delaware camp, so I focused on 2022 and younger.

Without seeing these players myself, these writeups are a bit more vauge than I'd normally prefer, but I wanted to share a few impressions I gathered.

RB Nicholas Singleton - Shillington, Pa. - As advertised. Looks good. Put on good weight this summer. Nick has added some great weight and moved well. I didn't get any updates on his recruitment. He did tell our Ohio State awhile back that the Buckeyes were his leader, but we'll see how that goes in the coming months. But the main takeaway was that Singleton continues to add to his frame. He's was already hard to bring down.

RB Tevin White - Stafford, Va. - White performed as expected. He's always shown great vision and burst, and that was once again evident. He also caught the ball well. Those have always been strengths of his. One person mentioned that they were hoping to see a bit more progression physically, but he still moved well and caught the ball well. A good overall back that still needs to add to his frame, which will come with time.

DE Aidan Gobaira - Chantilly, Va. - Gobaira checked in right around 6-5, 220, so he hasn't changed too much physically. He also moved well and has a good fundamental base. He's also really high on Penn State. He made that clear to a few colleagues, so it's looks like PSU's staff has put themselves in good spot here. I know Gobaira really wants to visit. I’m still trying to get a better feel for where he may rank. I get the impression he could be a high three-star or a four-star.

QB Braden Davis - Middletown, Del. - A few colleagues noted that there’s some concern regarding Davis' throwing motion. I haven’t seen him myself, so I'm hesitant to write too much about it. The only time I've seen him throw was last summer at Penn State where he looked great, but more than one colleague mentioned that Davis needs to fix a few things with his throwing motion. Supposedly his radius is a bit lower now, which prolonged his release. Again, tough for me to say without seeing him myself, but I thought it should be mentioned.

DE Daniel Owens - Baltimore, Md. - Owens had a really strong camp this past weekend. He’s shown improvement with his technique and burst off the ball. Penn State only offered a few weeks ago, but I’m hearing he has genuine interest. Like so many of these guys, Penn State should be one of the first schools he visits if given the opportunity.

RB George Pettaway - Suffolk, Va. - He’s looked very good this summer at a few camps in the Virginia area. Pettaway is good looking running back with great speed. He’s very explosive. He’s been a good receiver for awhile now and is showing signs that’s he only getting better with his hands. He still has to add to his frame (5-11, 180ish pounds) but his speed is great. If he can add muscle and keep his speed, he'll be a coveted player.

DE Kenny Fletcher - Delran, N.J. - Fletcher is an athletic pass rusher that I continue to hear good things about. He’s pushing 6-4 now and is up to 215-220 range. Everyone says he's added some good weight this spring and summer. Fletcher has had a really strong summer from what I hear and is a legit edge prospect to keep an eye on. We know he wants to visit Penn State. I believe Rutgers is the only school he’s seen so far.

QB Steven Angeli - Oradell, N.J. - Angeli looked good this pst weekend. He’s not what most of my colleagues would consider elite, and a big reason why is his arm strength. I’ve had a few people mention that his arm strength needs to improve. But he’s gotten bigger in a good way and has filled out a bit. He hasn’t grown much taller - I’m under the impression that he’s still around 6-1.5, 6-2 max - but his throwing motion has looked good and he’s always been more athletic that most realize. Angeli can definitely make guys miss.

LB Niayer Graham - Camden, N.J. - Graham is an athletic outside linebacker prospect. He’s still right around 6-0, maybe 6-1, and about 190-200 pounds. Everyone tells me he’s super fast for his position and that his athleticism and speed are legit. Keep an eye and on him as he grows and fills out his frame. Penn State offered back in April. I believe Syracuse is the only school he’s visited.

RB Ramon Brown - North Chesterfield, Va. - Penn State offered Brown back in January. He’s checking in right around 5-11, maybe 6-0 now and pushing 200 pounds. I’ve actually had a few people mention that he could play linebacker at the next level, but I know Penn State likes him at running back. Brown doesn’t have the quick burst that some of PSU’s other targets have, but once he gets into space his speed is respectable. He’s visited Maryland, Notre Dame, Virginia, Virginia Tech and West Virginia.

RB Sam Brown - Wyndmoor, Pa. - Another running back that I'm hearing great things about is Sam Brown out of La Salle. Colleagues were very high on Brown’s workout this past weekend. He’s a strong runner with great hands out of the backfield. He has a great burst, too. I don't have the time confirmed yet, but sources at Penn State told me that he ran an impressive 40 time this past weekend. I'll try to get that time for you guys later today. I’m curious to see if the staff steps up its efforts with him. They haven’t offered yet, but there is real interest. Brown visited for the Michigan game last season. He's right around 6-1, 200 pounds at the moment. He’s an intriguing in-state prospect to keep an eye on.

Saf. Sherrod Covil - Chesapeake, Va. - Penn State just offered Covil this summer. He has a very solid offer list, but I heard mixed reviews about his workout this past weekend. He wants to play safety at the next level, but a few colleagues question whether he’s quick enough to play that at the next level. Some think that he’ll grow into a linebacker over the next few years. I plan to ask contacts at Penn State about that when I can. He’s probably closer to 5-10 or 5-11, not 6-0. He’s also over 200 pounds now.

OL Trevyon Green - Chester, Va. - Penn State hasn’t offered the Life Christian prospect, but Green recently reclassified to the the Class of 2022 in March, so that should help his offer sheet. He’s dropped a good amount of weight, too, which is important. He still has more weight to lose, but if he keeps working hard that should really help his offer sheet. He’s always been pretty quick for his size. Just wanted to mention him as a potential player to keep an eye on now that he reclassified. He still needs to lose more weight, but he’s headed in the right direction now.

DE James Heard - Voorhees, N.J. -
Heard is a big, athletic defensive end prospect from Eastern. He’s still listed as a wide receiver on Rivals but that’s about to change. He’s growing into more of a defensive end and that was evident again this past week at the Underclassmen Combine. He’s not too thick yet but he has some pretty good mass. He’s been quiet, but I continue to hear that Rutgers and Penn State stand out early.

DE David Ojiegbe - Washington, D.C. - No offers yet for the St. John’s prospect, but he’s a good looking player with a solid fundamental base. Ojiegbe is right around 6-3, 240 already. Keep an eye on him. A lot of big schools are interested and were hoping to watch him this fall. That’ll have to wait until the spring now. If you missed it, the WCAC postponed its season until after January.

OL Joshua Miller - Chesterfield, Va. - Penn State offered Miller back in March. He’s pretty strong for his age and performed well in pass protection drills. He still needs to lose some baby fat, but if he’s able to do that and fill out his frame better, Miller could be a really good player for 2023.

DT Sydir Mitchell - Oradell, N.J. - Penn State offered Mitchell just a few weeks ago. He moves great for his size, but he’s also added a good amount of weight in recent months. Someone told me he’s around 6-5, 330 now. I still need to verify that, however. That’s up from about 285 this time last year. So, he’s getting big and will likely need lose some weight as he conditions more. It's not too concerning yet because he has time, but it’s something to keep an eye on.

CB Desmond Ricks - Chesapeake, Va. - Ricks is a really good looking prospect. Tennessee offered him when he was still in eighth grade and they were followed by North Carolina back in June. Penn State will surely be monitoring him.

OL Jordan Seaton - Washington, D.C. - No offers yet for Seaton, but he’s another player to remember for down the road. Big player, 6-4, 320. Legit prospect.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News