ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Notes

RyanSnyder

BWI Recruiting Analyst
Silver Member
Nov 2, 2013
Bellefonte
I've been reaching out to contacts over the past two nights to discuss a bunch of different things, so I figured I'd post some notes today to hit on all of that.

I do have family in town this weekend, but if you guys have any questions then, you can leave them below and I'll try to answer them when or if I get some time.

Thursday Practice Visitor

Penn State hosted Class of 2018 TE Zack Kuntz yesterday for the first practice of the season. As I hit on last week when I originally posted about this visit, the Camp Hill native is shaping up to be one of the top prospects in Pennsylvania for his class and one of the top tight end prospects on the east coast, potentially even the nation.

Kuntz, who's the younger brother of both Christian and Brandon Kuntz, has been on campus a few times in the past, but yesterday was his first true unofficial visit.

"I was given a tour around campus and all the facilities," Kuntz said. "I also talked with pretty much all the coaches there. I really enjoyed talking to Coach Franklin, Coach Pry and Coach Donovan. They're all good people. We mainly just talked about the team, the offense and how they use their tight ends. They also talked about how they were very interested in me and stuff like that."

He added, "I always enjoy my time up there and I love the campus. It went well."

Kuntz also said that he was impressed with how the coaches interact with the players during practice.

"I liked the flow of practice and the involvement the coaches have with the players. I know it's really early in the season, but at most schools, I feel like they just practice the top guys and the other players just hang out and watch, but everyone was getting reps yesterday and they move really quickly. They're constantly getting work in. I also love the energy from the coaches, both on and off the field."

Kuntz doesn't have any additional visits set at this time, but he will likely return to Penn State for a game early in the season. He has to look at his schedule, but the game against Rutgers is the target date for now. I'll monitor that.

Saturday Practice Visitors

As of now, I'm expecting three prospects to be on campus tomorrow, plus Class of 2016 commit Cameron Brown. Those three prospects are listed below

DB Exree Loe - FILM - Johnstown, Pa. - Johnstown - 2017
DB Damani Neal - FILM - Potomac, Md. - Bullis School - 2017

LB Matthew Bauer - FILM - Erie, Pa. - Cathedral Prep - 2018

Out of those three, Neal is the most notable. I know that his family is expected to make the trip with Damani and he's been on campus quite a few times this summer, so I will be watching for a commitment. He's been trying to get both of his parents on campus for awhile now, so I do believe there's a real chance that he makes a commitment by the time he leaves campus. I'm still trying to lockdown specifics on when these guys plan to be on campus. I'll post those details in this thread if contacts get back to me.

As for Loe, he's been on campus a few times this summer. His only offer at the moment is from Pitt, but he had a solid performance at Penn State's camp back in June. The staff has quite a few offers out to defensive backs currently, but they will be watching his film from his first few games this season, so I'll be keeping an eye on the three-star.

I'm still learning more on Bauer. I'll do my best to catch up with him following his visit.

Additional Practice Visitors

As of right now, the only additional prospect that I know will definitely be on campus in the coming week is 2016 offensive lineman and future Nittany Lion Connor McGovern. He's expected to be at practice next Friday, Aug. 15.

That said, CB Lavert Hill also informed me today that he's trying to get back to PSU before the season starts. As you all know, he just visited Michigan this past weekend, so it would be great for the staff to get him back on campus in the next few weeks. Either way, this should drag into the season and probably after. He continues to say he's committed to PSU and I have no reason to not believe him, but I also think there's a good chance he checks out both Michigan and Michigan State for games this upcoming season. Just consider him a soft commitment for the time being.

Both LB Shaka Toney and OL Will Fries also informed me that they're currently planning to visit Penn State to watch practice in the next few weeks, but as of this afternoon, neither have a date set in stone.

As for uncommitted prospects, the only other player that I know is trying to get to Penn State in the near future is DT Fred Hansard. The Class of 2017 prospect is another player that I believe PSU currently leads for, so we'll see if he makes it. Nothing is set right now, but he's checking in with his coaches to learn their upcoming practice schedule. I plan to speak with him again next week.

LB Brendan Ferns - FILM - Saint Clairsville, Ohio - Saint Clairsville

I caught up with Michael Ferns, Brendan's father, earlier today and as of now, they still have nothing in the works for a potential visit. Brendan and his teammates started practice last Saturday, Aug. 1. They also have their first scrimmage tomorrow, so the season is in full swing now for Ferns.

I know he's still a take for the staff, but I continue to hear mixed things on when Brendan plans to make a decision. One week, he wants to get it done soon, the next week, I'm told he's in no rush, so it's been difficult. I do believe that he won't be committing to Penn State without visiting again, however. His mother has never been to State College and that's very important, so until something is set up, it does look as if West Virginia holds the edge. But one visit can change everything.

As of now though, I'm starting to think that a visit for a game early in the season is more probable than watching practice. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he came up for the Rutgers game, but I'll continue to reach out to the Ferns family throughout the month of August.

TE Terrell Hall - FILM - Washington, D.C. - St. John's College High

The four-star backed out of his commitment to Ohio State this past week and after speaking with some people, I do believe the staff is going to make a serious push with Hall. He has been speaking with the staff throughout the summer, so credit to the staff there. They haven't really let up on Hall and that should help them receive a visit this fall.

In fact, I think there's a pretty good chance that they can get him to take an official visit, so I wouldn't be surprised if he pops up on campus for the game against Rutgers or Michigan.

However, I also believe that Alabama is the main reason he backed out of that commitment. He went down to Tuscaloosa twice this summer. Defensive end if also an important position for the Tide, so they are going to go all out for him.

WR Tre Nixon - FILM - Viera, Fla. - Viera

*** I posted this note earlier in the week, but I wanted to post again in these notes in case anyone missed it. ***

I caught up with both Tre Nixon and contacts from Georgia [on Wednesday].

Nixon just visited Georgia this past weekend. As I've noted in the past, this is shaping up to be a Penn State - Georgia battle and I also believe it's looking more and more likely now that he'll make a decision in the coming weeks. He mentioned official visits a few times this summer, but he understands that if he waits too long, he could miss out.

However, Nixon will visit Auburn here this upcoming weekend. We'll have to see how that goes, but I still feel confident that the Bulldogs will prove to be PSU's top competitor. I also feel like this is pretty close to 50/50 right now. The one thing to really watch is the other receivers Georgia is targeting. The guys that cover UGA believe their staff will definitely take Nixon, but they're also targeting a few in-state wideouts that are very high on the recruiting board as well.

I'll check in with him again after his Auburn visit. A decision could come in the following week or two.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News