ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting: Takeaways from McDonogh vs. La Salle

Ryan Snyder/BWI Staff

Aug 11, 2010
I skipped the Villanova game on Saturday to attend McDonogh vs. La Salle down in Owings Mills, Md. Unfortunately, both Dani Dennis-Sutton and Abdul Carter left the game early with injuries, so that limited the film I was able to take away from this, especially for Dennis-Sutton. It was clear by the end of the first quarter that his right elbow, which he dislocated in a preseason game, was giving him problems. After missing a few drives in the second quarter, he went back in to try and help his team, but he didn't last very long and sat out most of the second half.

As for Carter, I'm not completely sure what happened. It looked like either a serious cramp or a hamstring injury. I never got a true answer to that after the game, but he sat out some of the third and the entire fourth quarter. By then, La Salle was well in control of the game, so there was no reason to put him back in. The important thing is that I don't believe it's anything serious.

A few takeaways:

- When Dani was in the game, he was double-teamed the majority of the time. La Salle also almost never ran in his direction, so even when he was in, they made sure he wasn't going to have an impact. I do think Dani needs to play lower. That's easier said than done when you're taller than everyone else, but he played pretty high on a lot snaps and it hurt him at times. But again, he was more so a body out there taking up space than someone who could have a serious impact with his elbow. I also think it's likely that Dennis-Sutton sits out this upcoming game. He obviously really wants to play after missing all of last season. McDonogh has six games remaining, but they're also 1-3, so while I know he wants to play a few games later this season to get reps, this injury is probably going to impact him the entire time, so he and his coaches have to weigh the pros and cons of that. He's also playing defensive tackle for McDonogh, not defensive end, so while he can still work on a lot of things that will help him at Penn State, he's not getting experience rushing off the edge.

- I thought Abdul played well. He blitzed a lot and sometimes it took him totally out of the play, but he also made a few plays as well. He's getting really big, and there were a few times where, even with a his impressive testing numbers, it was hard for him to make quick cuts and run with receivers. I included one of those plays in the highlights I cut. If McDonogh's quarterback was accurate with the pass, it would've been a big play. His strength is definitely against the run and rushing the passer, so that's another notch in the thought that his best position may be defensive end. He's currently 6-3, 235 pounds and is only going to add more weight. From what I saw, that position change only makes more sense. He can also be faster at reading plays. He's not what I would consider bad at it, but sometimes he waits a bit too long and gets caught flat-footed. But it's clear to me that when you ask him to just pressure, he's at his best.

- 2023 DE Mason Robinson may have impressed me the most. I thought he was pretty good fundamentally and shed blocks well against La Salle's best offensive lineman. He's stronger than I thought, too. Good pad-level, reacts well. I really can't think of anything glaring that I felt like he needed to improve on. From what I saw, he's definitely someone PSU should pursue and I believe they will.

- 2023 OL Antonio Tripp looked solid in pass blocking, but I think run blocking is where he can take that next step, especially since he'll be a guard at the next level. If he can make some improvements in that area over the next six games, I think it would really help him out with a few schools, including Penn State. I noticed he missed a few linebackers when pulling and just doesn't get the push that you'd like to see from a player his size. Right now, with Alex Birchmeier committed and a few other solid guard prospects out there, I expect PSU to keep monitoring his film. He's definitely someone that can play at this level, but guard is pretty deep in 2023 and Penn State finds itself in a good position with a few of those guys.

- Two names to remember in the years ahead are DE Kamden Laudenslager and WR Jeff Exinor. Both are just freshmen, so 2025 prospects. Long way to go, but Laudenslager is pretty good for a freshman. He made a few plays and is ahead of most his age fundamentally. He needs to get bigger, of course, and once he does, I expect him to really generate a good push because he knows how to use leverage. Him and Robinson are the reason Dani is playing the three-technique. They have a surplus of end prospects.

As for Exinor, I thought he ran good routes. McDonogh doesn't have a top quarterback prospect this year, so they really struggle in the passing game, but Exinor certainly got open a few times. I believe he's Kenny Sanders' cousin, too, so if he does progress into a prospect, Penn State should be in the mix.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News