ADVERTISEMENT

Regarding Jay Paterno's "Academic Standing" comments:

And if you had the answer, we'd have read it by now. Until then it remains: PSU ranks at the bottom of the Big Ten when it comes to providing its students with financial aid. Too bad Indiana Fats's comp doesn't enjoy a similar ranking. Man must be really good at something.
You are the one bitching about it and then claiming that the endowment is not relevant. You are also the one bashing the current administration yet ignoring my point that prior to Erickson, University presidents failed to allocate significant non-endowed funding for scholarship support. You are taking the macro view of the situation and placing blame on those who merely inherited the problem, without knowing one thing about what steps have been made to address the issue.

You should go bitch to Spanier.

You are the one bitching about it and then claiming that the endowment is not relevant. You are also the one bashing the current administration yet ignoring my point that prior to Erickson, University presidents failed to allocate significant non-endowed funding for scholarship support. You are taking the macro view of the situation and placing blame on those who merely inherited the problem, without knowing one thing about what steps have been made to address the issue.

You should go bitch to Spanier.

Fats suggests a little more Vaseline across your eyebrow ridge.

58203882.jpg

Reactions: 91Joe95
Endowment spending across all universities are capped (typically around 5%). They do this to ensure the health and growth of the endowment. If you have a year of 10% growth, you do not have 10% spending.

In other words, you are talking out of your ass because you don’t understand how endowments work.
Why do we need a $3billion endowment? And there is movement to start another $1 billion campaign, that would make $4 billion in funds sitting idle. Yea sure the powers that be want to only use the earnings and allow the endowment to grow. How much is enough? They could take the annual earnings plus any additional contributions and use it for student aid. They would still then have a $3 billion endowment. They don’t want to and with the number of applications every year they don’t have to

No, you are still a moron. Can you tell me how much of Penn State’s endowment is legally binded to be for student support and how much is for program support? How much of it is a blend of the two with the choice on how to spend the endowment given to the professor/dean? And I ask the same question for those other Universities in your example. Give those figures and then you can have an intelligent conversation as to how the endowment affects scholarship spending.
Different moron here! I’ve heard that argument from a dean neighbor. But all money is fungible. With a 4billion budget a year and a 3 billion endowment, there are multiple ways to maneuver funds. I’ve done it numerous times. This is a stale argument

Reactions: 91Joe95
Different moron here! I’ve heard that argument from a dean neighbor. But all money is fungible. With a 4billion budget a year and a 3 billion endowment, there are multiple ways to maneuver funds. I’ve done it numerous times. This is a stale argument

Original moron checking in. Agree. When universities see a need they finagle their way around whatever caps they've imposed on themselves. As you suggest, it's a fairly common occurrence. Spending caps are just another way to try to squeeze more money out of potential benefactors.

Why do we need a $3billion endowment? And there is movement to start another $1 billion campaign, that would make $4 billion in funds sitting idle. Yea sure the powers that be want to only use the earnings and allow the endowment to grow. How much is enough? They could take the annual earnings plus any additional contributions and use it for student aid. They would still then have a $3 billion endowment. They don’t want to and with the number of applications every year they don’t have to
So what happens in years where the endowment loses value? No scholarships?

It’s actually a 5.7 billion dollar budget.

However, I would like to see how you propose to deal with deans when you take funds from one college to pay for student support for another. That should be a hoot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT