ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Reviving Friday Jukebox

...Clair de Lune takes its title from an atmospheric poem by the French poet Paul Verlaine which depicts the soul as somewhere full of music 'in a minor key' where birds are inspired to sing by the 'sad and beautiful' light of the moon...

(After hearing it in the movie 7 Years in Tibet, I always think of that film now when I hear it.)

Last edited:
In honor of Lisa Marie Presley's passing. "I'm gonna get...Lisa Marie...to marry me" at 2:47.

Burt Bacharach has died at age 94. He wrote or co-wrote 73 US Top 40 hits, five of which went to #1. Here are some of them.

He personally introduces this live version of Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head, which went to #1.

This went to #1. Some of The Carpenters songs were kinda cheesy but I think this one is good.

This went to #1. It's from the movie Arthur, which I never saw.

His two others that went to #1 I wasn't as fond of.

Here was a hit from the 80s that he wrote that I didn't know he wrote until just recently.

He wrote several songs that Dionne Warwick had hits with. This one, Burt Bacharach and Elvis Costello performed in one of the Austin Powers movies.

Here is Dionne Warwick doing a live version of Walk On By.

Here's one more that Dionne Warwick did.

Here's one that Tom Jones had a big hit with.

Here's one that he co-wrote with Neil Diamond and his then-wife Carol Bayer Sager that was featured in E.T., a movies that was hugely popular in the 80s that I never saw.

Okay, that's enough. Heckuva career. RIP Burt Bacharach.

Burt Bacharach has died at age 94. He wrote or co-wrote 73 US Top 40 hits, five of which went to #1. Here are some of them.

He personally introduces this live version of Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head, which went to #1.

This went to #1. Some of The Carpenters songs were kinda cheesy but I think this one is good.

Here was a hit from the 80s that he wrote that I didn't know he wrote until just recently.

He wrote several songs that Dionne Warwick had hits with. This one, Burt Bacharach and Elvis Costello performed in one of the Austin Powers movies.

Here's one that he co-wrote with Neil Diamond and his then-wife Carol Bayer Sager that was featured in E.T., a movies that was hugely popular in the 80s that I never saw.

Heard that this afternoon, Amazing artist. Knew he wrote a lot but didn’t know he had that many.

Reactions: OldiesAtTheGaff

absolutely amazing song worker and volume of quality songs......

Here's another song composed by Burt. It was performed by a number of artists including Dionne Warwick, Sammy Davis Jr., and Burt himself. Featured in several movies, including Austin Powers: IMpfM, Forrest Gump [when he was first introduced to ping pong (and probably meant as a subtlety I believe], and My Best Friend's Wedding. I like this version by Jackie DeShannon:
What the World Needs Needs Now:

ELO had a lot of good songs that were well known, so instead of posting yet one more of those, I'll post one of theirs I liked a lot that was not a single. This is off the Out Of The Blue album.

At the end of this song you kinda hear a radio tuning in and out. And in the beginning or Mr Blue Sky from the same album, you hear the same thing. That's because on the album, these two songs run together and Mr Blue Sky comes after it.

Last edited:
You're link was visible for a second then it vanished. But yeah, that's Peter Tosh on the steps at the beginning of the Waiting On A Friend video.

ETA: Oh wait, I see, that link is still there and it's the next one that's empty. But anyway, Tosh is in the Stones video.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT