ADVERTISEMENT

RIP Moses Malone....

Wow, first Chocolate Thunder, now Moses. Remember being a Sixers fan in the late 70s/early 80s, and how he put them over the top, made that 83 team among the greatest of all time. Still remember the T-shirts after he signed with Philly:

"Moses will take us to the promised land."
"And on the 8th day, the Lord sent Moses to the Sixers."

RIP Big Man, Fo-fo-fo.

such a shame. he was a great addition to the Sixers (even if it cost us a draft that became Olajuwan), and the '83 team was one of the more enjoyable championship teams to watch. Moses was one of the 1st I saw that would shoot a ball that had little chance of going in, but for which he felt he had a great chance to get the rebound (and thus put him in better shape to score). Until Kobe came along, Malone was the best NBA player to go from from high school to the show (even if his first 2 years were in the ABA).

such a shame. he was a great addition to the Sixers (even if it cost us a draft that became Olajuwan), and the '83 team was one of the more enjoyable championship teams to watch. Moses was one of the 1st I saw that would shoot a ball that had little chance of going in, but for which he felt he had a great chance to get the rebound (and thus put him in better shape to score). Until Kobe came along, Malone was the best NBA player to go go from from high school to the show (even if his first 2 years were in the ABA).
I have those same memories. The most relentless offensive rebounder I've sever seen. Boy was Moses in good shape. He was so tough in crunch time.

such a shame. he was a great addition to the Sixers (even if it cost us a draft that became Olajuwan), and the '83 team was one of the more enjoyable championship teams to watch. Moses was one of the 1st I saw that would shoot a ball that had little chance of going in, but for which he felt he had a great chance to get the rebound (and thus put him in better shape to score). Until Kobe came along, Malone was the best NBA player to go go from from high school to the show (even if his first 2 years were in the ABA).

in high school, we called the stat padders (guys who would miss shots just to get rebounds) "Moses" . . . truly an icon of the game

Wow, first Chocolate Thunder, now Moses. Remember being a Sixers fan in the late 70s/early 80s, and how he put them over the top, made that 83 team among the greatest of all time. Still remember the T-shirts after he signed with Philly:

"Moses will take us to the promised land."
"And on the 8th day, the Lord sent Moses to the Sixers."

RIP Big Man, Fo-fo-fo.
I goes to the rack!

What is going on with ex Sixers stars?! Such a shame. Moses Malone was a warrior on the court (all time leader in offensive rebounds says it all), and a class act off the court. RIP, Moses.

Dr. J should perhaps get a checkup, just in case.

Last edited:
Reactions: 91Joe95
A great article about Malone by retired Philadelphia Inquirer columnist Bill Lyon. You can access it at THIS LINK.

A nice article by Philadelphia Daily News columnist Dick Jerardi about Moses. He looks at things from a slightly different perspective. You can access it at THIS LINK.

in Houston right now, and the local sports reported. He was in Virginia.

60 years old, due to heart issues.

Damn.
He was a force and helped to finally deliver the sixers and the Dr that elusive ring

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT