ADVERTISEMENT

"Rivalry week" revelry

PSU-Pitt01.jpeg

But....but....but...no one cares about Pitt?!?!?!?!

At least thats what the intelligentsia on this site claim.
I'm one who believes the vast majority do not care much about a Pitt extended series. However there is a minority who are emotion/nostalgia driven as opposed to logic driven. That minority would like to see the series extended.
Understand that the past eventually becomes obsolete, at least for a period of time.

Reactions: SUPERTODD
I'm one who believes the vast majority do not care much about a Pitt extended series. However there is a minority who are emotion/nostalgia driven as opposed to logic driven. That minority would like to see the series extended.
Understand that the past eventually becomes obsolete, at least for a period of time.
I think playing Pitt is a big deal. They are our one true rivalry since they are in state, most players and students went to school with each other...same with co-workers. Makes it a special week with lots of back-and-forth, bets, teasing. So its not just game day but all week, all off season, even all year. Makes it a lot of fun. Mich or Bucks just don't generate that same vibe.

As for the majority or not.....were you at the last Pitt came at the Beav? It was sold out, ticket resale prices were very high, there was a buzz and excitement much more than Illinois, Indy, N'western, or most Big 10 games, and at least 50,000 people were in the lots tailgating throughout the game. Looked to me like most PSU fans not only cared but were excited with the game

All that being said, I am in the school that says we should not play them anytime soon. Their program is very weak, they only sell half their tickets at home(without us, WVU, or ND on the schedule), and have struggled in recruiting. Playing them helps legitimize them, makes them money, helps their recruiting. Don't play them again until they earn it.

Sad to see it go as it is a fun time. But thats as it should be.

That Pitt is Penn State’s rival is objectively true, which is to say that it is not predicated on whether or not the programs are currently competitive with one another or the game is a consistently scheduled event.

Reactions: Thomas1945
I wouldn't mind extending IF the series fit the financial model set by the school. I also have no problem ending it, if for nothing else, it upsets the Pitt fans.

It's funny listing to the talk radio guys. Mark Packer on Sirius XM 84 has been outspoken about the end of the series and what a shame it is that those in control cannot work it out. I hear his arguments and think he uses an "anti-PSU slant". Maybe I'm off base, but I don't think so.

The problem is that the only talk you hear is about the series ending. Nobody talks about the match up, the X's and O's. If it was such a great series with national importance, they would be talking about the actual game, not just the end of the series.

There was a commentator from BTN on the midday show today. Forget his name. After he left, the talking heads mentioned their top 2 OOC BIG games this weekend. Neither mentioned PSU/Pitt. It's not even a top 3 game in the BIG on a ho-hum weekend.

Last edited:
I think playing Pitt is a big deal. They are our one true rivalry since they are in state, most players and students went to school with each other...same with co-workers. Makes it a special week with lots of back-and-forth, bets, teasing. So its not just game day but all week, all off season, even all year. Makes it a lot of fun. Mich or Bucks just don't generate that same vibe.

As for the majority or not.....were you at the last Pitt came at the Beav? It was sold out, ticket resale prices were very high, there was a buzz and excitement much more than Illinois, Indy, N'western, or most Big 10 games, and at least 50,000 people were in the lots tailgating throughout the game. Looked to me like most PSU fans not only cared but were excited with the game

All that being said, I am in the school that says we should not play them anytime soon. Their program is very weak, they only sell half their tickets at home(without us, WVU, or ND on the schedule), and have struggled in recruiting. Playing them helps legitimize them, makes them money, helps their recruiting. Don't play them again until they earn it.

Agree with everything you said. I would add that the tipping point for me was the overall nastiness and venom of their fans as it related to the Sandusky scandal. I no longer care if we ever play them again.

The Pitt game is only a big deal for alums from west of State College and/or who are over the age of 45 or so. After the mid 1960's, it was only a rivalry for about 10 years. Other than that - no. To say it's big deal beyond the small confines of Western Pa is like saying Kansas-Missouri is a big deal to anyone outside of Kansas or Missouri....which is to say....it's not.

That Pitt is Penn State’s rival is objectively true, which is to say that it is not predicated on whether or not the programs are currently competitive with one another or the game is a consistently scheduled every event.
By dictionary definition, everyone we play is a rival, in that we are competing for the game, so to that extent Pitt is a rival. Would you give up a win over Pitt for a win over OSU, UM, or MSU?

The Pitt game is only a big deal for alums from west of State College and/or who are over the age of 45 or so. After the mid 1960's, it was only a rivalry for about 10 years. Other than that - no. To say it's big deal beyond the small confines of Western Pa is like saying Kansas-Missouri is a big deal to anyone outside of Kansas or Missouri....which is to say....it's not.
Its still a big deal when it is the only OOC game we played in the last ten years that sold out....as I can recall. And had 50,000 or more there tailgating throughout the game. And had the highest resale price of any ticket outside of Buck or Mich. And gets very high tv ratings not just in Pa but nationally.

I get a lot of people don't care about Pitt. They have been very weak for a long time. But the data shows a very large number of people still see it as a big rivalry.

BTW, What was the last OOC home game sellout? Nebraska in 02? Maybe a ND game in there somewhere?

It’s been many years since I’ve read Ridge Riley’s book on PSU football history but I think I recall that there were many people at PSU who wanted Penn - the Quakers, future Ivy Leaguers - to be our main rival. Of course, we’re going back to the ‘20s and ‘30s. Back then, the people who controlled PSU athletics and football in particular were all Pittsburgh-based people and that’s why so many games were played in Pittsburgh. The roads to PSU were so bad, they preferred being the visitors.
Well, when I started at PSU, way back and I’m not telling, Syracuse seemed to be the big rival. Pitt was an minor rival seeing that they sucked from after the war until Johnny Majors came along, other than 1 year when Ditka was a senior. This current downturn in Pitt football is nothing new, really. Of course, I hope the downturn lasts for infinity.

There is no doubt that the annual PSU-Pitt football game was a big rivalry years ago. And I believe the 4 game series the last few years, rekindled interest in this old rivalry. Even drawing new interest with current students, players and younger alum. I know it did in my family-A divided house of 2 PSU alum and 1 Pitt grad.

But, of all the reasons to not continue (scheduling, $$$ and other factors) I believe CJF is correct in explaining that it brings out the best and the worst in the fans. And I have witnessed this in my own family. Especially the worst. Usually, the Pitt (a brother) grad uses the game (loss) as an opportunity to bring up 2011 and as you can imagine things goes sour from there. It’s not about the game anymore and it’s certainly not good natured.

While many outside of PA have “moved on” from associating PSU from 2011, people in the region have not. Pitt fans will continue to bring it up and taunt and tease. Especially if PSU wins. And I’m aware that other fan bases throw this around too, but Pitt fans are more inclined than others. Living in PA and seeing this continually in the media (this trial, that trial, this payout, that payout, this appeal, that appeal, license suspension, censorship, book after book) it is hard to get past connecting PSU and 2011. It’s time to stop providing a situation/venue that unfortunately encourages “bad” behavior.

By dictionary definition, everyone we play is a rival, in that we are competing for the game, so to that extent Pitt is a rival. Would you give up a win over Pitt for a win over OSU, UM, or MSU?
If you’re questioning whether or not Pitt is a rival to Penn State, then the answer is that they are, and this is an objective truth.

If you’re asking what my opinion of that rivalry is, then my response is that I think the athletic department is handling it correctly. But to be clear: that’s just my opinion.

It’s been many years since I’ve read Ridge Riley’s book on PSU football history but I think I recall that there were many people at PSU who wanted Penn - the Quakers, future Ivy Leaguers - to be our main rival. Of course, we’re going back to the ‘20s and ‘30s. Back then, the people who controlled PSU athletics and football in particular were all Pittsburgh-based people and that’s why so many games were played in Pittsburgh. The roads to PSU were so bad, they preferred being the visitors.

The logic of the bolded sentence above makes me laugh. So the roads to PSU were bad?? Apparently if the same roads were driven in the opposite direction they suddenly became good?? As far as I know it doesn't work that way. The roads are the same regardless of the direction being traveled. It's just a lame reason someone came up with to deflect from something else.

Reactions: m48tank
The logic of the bolded sentence above makes me laugh. So the roads to PSU were bad?? Apparently if the same roads were driven in the opposite direction they suddenly became good?? As far as I know it doesn't work that way. The roads are the same regardless of the direction being traveled. It's just a lame reason someone came up with to deflect from something else.

if you were from Pittsburgh back in the 20's and 30's and were now located at PSU, getting back to Pittsburgh was not a 75 mph drive down I-99 and home in 2.5 hours. So playing in Pittsburgh meant a free trip back home for the weekend on Penn State's dime which meant a lot back then. That is the reason.

if you were from Pittsburgh back in the 20's and 30's and were now located at PSU, getting back to Pittsburgh was not a 75 mph drive down I-99 and home in 2.5 hours. So playing in Pittsburgh meant a free trip back home for the weekend on Penn State's dime which meant a lot back then. That is the reason.

Sounds reasonable. But from 1943 through 1963 there was only one game played is State College. By that time I think transportation would have evolved a bit. And Pitt was mediocre during that period so it wasn't as if they could schedule from a position of strength.

I wouldn't mind extending IF the series fit the financial model set by the school. I also have no problem ending it, if for nothing else, it upsets the Pitt fans.

It's funny listing to the talk radio guys. Mark Packer on Sirius XM 84 has been outspoken about the end of the series and what a shame it is that those in control cannot work it out. I hear his arguments and think he uses an "anti-PSU slant". Maybe I'm off base, but I don't think so.

The problem is that the only talk you hear is about the series ending. Nobody talks about the match up, the X's and O's. If it was such a great series with national importance, they would be talking about the actual game, not just the end of the series.

There was a commentator from BTN on the midday show today. Forget his name. After he left, the talking heads mentioned their top 2 OOC BIG games this weekend. Neither mentioned PSU/Pitt. It's not even a top 3 game in the BIG on a ho-hum weekend.
That was on the show with Rick Neuhesial and Chris Childers....they spent 10 minutes talking about how this game should be played, and it’s so important to the fans, and it’s not being played because one program thinks it’s better than the other (like Texas and Texas A&M). And you’re right, later they discussed the biggest games in the Big and they talked about Iowa-Iowa State and MSU-Arizona State. No mention of the Pitt-PSU game because Pitt doesn’t move the dial for anyone, but their heart says it should be played because of tradition.

Reactions: JWB389
Its still a big deal when it is the only OOC game we played in the last ten years that sold out....as I can recall. And had 50,000 or more there tailgating throughout the game. And had the highest resale price of any ticket outside of Buck or Mich. And gets very high tv ratings not just in Pa but nationally.

I get a lot of people don't care about Pitt. They have been very weak for a long time. But the data shows a very large number of people still see it as a big rivalry.

BTW, What was the last OOC home game sellout? Nebraska in 02? Maybe a ND game in there somewhere?
Bama in ‘11? Or Notre Dame?

Way back then PSU student body was much smaller, the stadium was much smaller, SC barely existed. Pitt Stadium was pretty big and Pittsburgh was a large and vibrant city. I am guessing that ticket sales/revenue had a lot to do with it.

Way back then PSU student body was much smaller, the stadium was much smaller, SC barely existed. Pitt Stadium was pretty big and Pittsburgh was a large and vibrant city. I am guessing that ticket sales/revenue had a lot to do with it.

Good points. If the revenue argument was used today then all games of any future series should be played at Beaver Stadium. Imagine the revenue of 105,000+ versus 40,000. And yes, Heinz Field is sold out for Penn State/Pitt but that's because of the Penn State fans. Why not use the larger venue every year? I know it won't happen though.

Saw a good banner on an apartment today. I was riding the bus and could not get a picture.

“What’s the difference between Pitt & PSU students?

Pitt students sleep during games, not classes.”

Reactions: Zenophile
only way we should renew the series on a regular basis is if Pitt plays 2 for 1 in State College until Penn State catches up to Pitt on the number of home games.

Yes, I’m aware that Pitt would never agree to this.

This short Pitt series carried a novelty with it. If it was permanent, the game would very quickly become no different than any other crappy OOC game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT