ADVERTISEMENT

Rokfin 50% Price Hike

Anyone else see the email? $14.99 a month on/after 12/7?

Love ya but that’s more than my Disney+ / ESPN+ / Hulu bundle.
I've already canceled. Too much junk to wade through for too little live wrestling. I donate thousands of dollars a year to support wrestling and other worthy endeavors. Maybe the increase to make up for the collapse of their crypto value.

Reactions: Str8DBLz and mcpat
I’m not sure I understood who was getting paid what. I was paying monthly, but it depended who I signed up with, or maybe who I subscribed to, is what determined who got my money? Then sometimes, my monthly payment only got me the right to pay extra for an event that I thought I was already paying for? I pulled my subscription and gave money to the NLWC. I’m certain they got 100% of my donation.

Anyone else see the email? $14.99 a month on/after 12/7?

giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: SWPA and Str8DBLz
Yeah I’ll be cancelling after duals. Ridiculous. Here are my subscriptions..they are no way the 3rd best for content. Not by a long shot

1. You Tube TV $65 monthly
2. Netflix $21
3. HBO max (all HBOs) $14
4. Flo $12.5 ($150/12)
5. Paramount+ $5.99
6 Big 10 + $5.75 (wrestling package/12)
7. Amazon Prime $10 ($120/12)
8. Disney+, Hulu, ESPN + (free with my cell phone package)

Unless they getting a contract for some consistent live content (deal with Big Ten or something), I’m out

Reactions: rmg78
not enough content
^^^
IMHO - Not enough high quality content of interest to me without a PPV upcharge for wrestling to warrant the monthly subscription price.

Plenty of low quality content of no interest to me.

Good thing the market has a way of correcting itself.

Yeah I’ll be cancelling after duals. Ridiculous. Here are my subscriptions..they are no way the 3rd best for content. Not by a long shot

2. Netflix $21
4. Flo $12.5 ($150/12)
5. Paramount+ $5.99

Unless they getting a contract for some consistent live content (deal with Big Ten or something), I’m out

Very close to mine. Minus Flo, Plus Peacock.

Reactions: pish69
There is a thing called price elasticity. Neither Flo nor Rokfin have an understanding.

For streaming services it's all about content. Granted there is both video and written content, wrestling is a niche market. I think they believe ardent fans will blindly pay a premium for limited content in our area of passion. They are wrong.

In today's world everyone is ranking up all of the providers and looking for ways to manage a reasonable budget for entertainment. When the niche players start to exceed the cost for mainstream providers, they have gone too far.

For wrestling, the market is asking is to buy Flo, Rokfin, Big10+ and ESPN+ if we want to see everything. Sorry but that is not practical to all but maybe 10-20% of us.

I haven't got the email yet, but on December 21st I am out. It's a no brainer. $15/month for Rokfin, for what - even the one event I want to see is PPV on top of the subscription - I call bullshit? To be honest I think $10/month was service at a premium given the amount of content being generated, which is relatively little.

Since the law suit, I bailed on Flo on principle, but for the money Flo has WAAAAYYYY more content than Rokfin IMO. Maybe on principle I will stay bailed on both. Given the choice of overpaying, Rokfin vs Flo, Rokfin has lesser value.

In two weeks the cord is cut on both of them, and I'll stick with my cheaper Big10+.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ski
There is a thing called price elasticity. Neither Flo nor Rokfin have an understanding.
I actually suspect the price hike is to take advantage of the upcoming College Wrestling Duals. Folks will subscribe for just December to be able to purchase the matches on a PPV basis. I bet we see the price go back down after.

I actually suspect the price hike is to take advantage of the upcoming College Wrestling Duals. Folks will subscribe for just December to be able to purchase the matches on a PPV basis. I bet we see the price go back down after.
If that's the case..even worse..I'm out after the duals..$15monthly for basically You Tube..

Echo every else's sentiments, I was rooting for Rofkin and was a subscriber for quite awhile but there wasn't enough content to justify the price. Combine that with the extra PPV fee for most things I wanted to watch it was an easy decision not to renew the yearly sub at the old price, let alone the new.

Very close to mine. Minus Flo, Plus Peacock.
Yep..just cut the cord a month ago..best decision I've made..was paying $230 monthly for cable wiith internet. Now paying $65 for the You Tube TV $14 for the HBO package and $50 for Verizon Fios 1 gb internet which has made a huge difference with streaming

How you liking the You Tube Tv? I'm really digging it..I like the format. I lose two local sports channels (MSG and Yes), so I lose Knicks/Rangers and Yankees..I'm a Mets fan so SNY was a must, thankfully they have it

2. Netflix $21
4. Flo $12.5 ($150/12)
5. Paramount+ $5.99

As we are wont to do with getting off of topic, since you have Paramount+, are you watching "Tulsa King"?

Reactions: johnstownsteel
As we are wont to do with getting off of topic, since you have Paramount+, are you watching "Tulsa King"?
Watched the first episode (I'm Italian so have to watch anything with Stallone), it was ok..kind of funny seeing Rocky in Oklahoma (I think thats where they are). My wife wasn't a fan, so I'll catch up on it..Paramount is for the wife..she likes those Yellowstone spinoffs..I'll cancel it after the new one (1923) is over

Edit..I think it's dumb that Yellowstone (awesome show even though this season not great) is on Paramount (which I have with the YTTV) but all the previous seasons of Yellowstone is on Peacock

I decided even before I had word of the price increase that I am not getting my money's worth from the Rokfin subscription. Unfortunately, my subscription runs out on the 16th, which is a few days before the collegiate duals, so I'm going to have to let it ride for another month. The silver lining is I'll have some extra time to try to get around to the lady who quit TV news, the top 100 pre-K wrestlers in Iowa list, and that archived App State/Bellarmine dual

For streaming services it's all about content. Granted there is both video and written content, wrestling is a niche market. I think they believe ardent fans will blindly pay a premium for limited content in our area of passion. They are wrong.

In today's world everyone is ranking up all of the providers and looking for ways to manage a reasonable budget for entertainment. When the niche players start to exceed the cost for mainstream providers, they have gone too far.

For wrestling, the market is asking is to buy Flo, Rokfin, Big10+ and ESPN+ if we want to see everything. Sorry but that is not practical to all but maybe 10-20% of us.

I haven't got the email yet, but on December 21st I am out. It's a no brainer. $15/month for Rokfin, for what - even the one event I want to see is PPV on top of the subscription - I call bullshit? To be honest I think $10/month was service at a premium given the amount of content being generated, which is relatively little.

Since the law suit, I bailed on Flo on principle, but for the money Flo has WAAAAYYYY more content than Rokfin IMO. Maybe on principle I will stay bailed on both. Given the choice of overpaying, Rokfin vs Flo, Rokfin has lesser value.

In two weeks the cord is cut on both of them, and I'll stick with my cheaper Big10+.
This ... except for Flo, the consumer demand is a lot more inelastic as they hold quite a bit of streaming content, even when they dropped Big Ten matches. Business decision wise it was smart because they still hold UWW, Super 32, Fargo for high school. Bottom line, people want to watch wrestling and Flo has that market cornered.

Rokfin needs to tread lightly because candidly, $15 a month for written wrestling content and podcasts with a surcharge for PPV is not worth it at all. On top of comparing it to some big streaming services like Hulu, Disney, Paramount, HBO, whatever, that price is 50% more than what something like Rivals of 247 costs for football information. I think we can all agree despite being diehard wrestling fans that football overall provides significantly more as you take 25 a class and the fanbases are infinitely larger.

Rokfin started hot and Cael putting some NLWC exhibition matches on that card helped significantly then Rokfin botches that with jackasses like this who intentionally gamed the system to redirect their subscription money to Iowa when Cael was hosting the event:

Reactions: mcpat
Zach Bogle from Stalemates Show has the right idea (his stuff is extremely good, I highly recommend it, the majority of his best stuff is free). I know his show is just a hobby for him but he has close to 400 subscribers on Patreon, which costs $3.99 a month. That is a price that is way more reasonable for content like wrestling shows. Some people might just purchase the subscription to support him and not care as much since it's basically the price of a coffee.

400 subscribers a month * 4 a month * 12 months a year is 19,200. Let's say Patreon takes half of that (doubt it's that much), that's still close to 10K pretax for a side gig he runs.

I like the IA Wrestle, MatScouts, Intermat, and Fretwell’s content. Hager’s Happy Hour is great. Finding technique videos seems simpler than Flo for me.

Idk. I use mine more than I use my Flo account, but I’m usually gone at events during most of the big Flo events during the season, anyway. I don’t typically buy the PPV’s on rokfin.

I have Big10+, Netflix, Prime, and Flo. Rofkin is out of my price range for what it provides. Used to have YouTubeTV and liked it, but decided to cut my costs since I'm semi-retired and on kind of a fixed income.
I bit the bullet and don't get any network or local TV. No Eagles or Phillies. I'm way too emotional during an Eagles game anyway. If I keep watching, I'm either going to die of a heart attack or put my foot through the screen.
I had a heart attack the day before the NFC Championship game between the Eagles and the Vikings. I was in intensive care with my thumb on the remote control. I was sincerely concerned that I would give myself another heart attack if I watched the game live, so I only clicked over to the game every few minutes to grab the score and then went elsewhere. When I saw the score at halftime, I watched the entire second half in sanguine bliss.

I had let my Rokfin subscription lapse and was about to re-subscribe, mostly for in-season MatScouts and Intermat but at $15 a month, I’ll wait, subscribe right before the PSU PPV (to maximize my 30 days to potentially include something else I really like).

$9.99 to $14.99 is pretty hefty.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT