ADVERTISEMENT

Rucci and Pounds to portal

Yeah, but the point stands, former 5 stars don't just "walk on" at their home state school. He either gets a scholarship from Penn state or he goes to 90-100 schools that would give him a full ride without first blush. This kid isn't sticking his parents with $200k of school payments considering his background. He either gets a scholarship at PSU or gets one somewhere else, clearly.
Yep, but he likely could afford to walk on if he was convinced he wanted to play at PSU, where his father played (?), I believe. The LB from TJ that just decided to walk on at PSU had a number of scholarship offers coming out of H.S. and there's no reason to believe he couldn't have gotten a scholarship to play in 2024 at a decent number of schools. Maybe not top 20 programs, but some very good accademic schools.

The operative word is "former". Rucci is not a 5 star recruit now and he knows it. It would seem that the dreams he had and promises made to him, if they were promises, at Wisky have not been realized and he is likely just looking for a place to enjoy his last 2 years of college. Who knows what his balance of priorities between football, accademic, and social life is, but that will govern what he might be open to.

What makes you believe the number is $200K? How do you know what the real number is isn't a drop in the bucket for his parents.

The point is that strange things happen and players that have spent 3 years trying to achieve their dreams sometimes do things that fans don't seem to believe are their best options. So predicting what a player might do is pretty useless, unless you just predict the most common path and it happens to come true and you somehow believe that makes what you predicted smart.....

Last edited:
Yeah, but the point stands, former 5 stars don't just "walk on" at their home state school. He either gets a scholarship from Penn state or he goes to 90-100 schools that would give him a full ride without first blush. This kid isn't sticking his parents with $200k of school payments considering his background. He either gets a scholarship at PSU or gets one somewhere else, clearly.
Exactly.

Sorry, but I have to agree with GreginPitt. He has been buried in the depth chart in an offense that really hasn’t done that well for a number of years. Stars mean very little at this point when there’s nothing at the collegiate level to justify giving a scholarship that is in short (or possibly negative) supply.
I not justifying whether he has earned the right to a scholarship, I'm saying he can get one and most certainly will seek one.

Yep, but he likely could afford to walk on if he was convinced he wanted to play at PSU, where his father played (?), I believe. The LB from TJ that just decided to walk on at PSU had a number of scholarship offers coming out of H.S. and there's no reason to believe he couldn't have gotten a scholarship to play in 2024 at a decent number of schools. Maybe not top 20 programs, but some very good accademic schools.

The operative word is "former". Rucci is not a 5 star recruit now and he knows it. It would seem that the dreams he had and promises made to him, if they were promises, at Wisky have not been realized and he is likely just looking for a place to enjoy his last 2 years of college. Who knows what his balance of priorities between football, accademic, and social life is, but that will govern what he might be open to.

What makes you believe the number is $200K? How do you know what the real number is isn't a drop in the bucket for his parents.

The point is that strange things happen and players that have spent 3 years trying to achieve their dreams sometimes do things that fans don't seem to believe are their best options. So predicting what a player might do is pretty useless, unless you just predict the most common path and it happens to come true and you somehow believe that makes what you predicted smart.....
Um, that is all absurd. I have no interest in looking smart if Nolan takes a scholarship at Penn state or otherwise. I'm merely trying to be logical. How many 6'8 former 5 star recruits walk on at schools 3 years after entering college? It's hardly the "smart" argument, but it avoids the totally idiotic argument that has to be nearly unprecedented.

Um, that is all absurd. I have no interest in looking smart if Nolan takes a scholarship at Penn state or otherwise. I'm merely trying to be logical. How many 6'8 former 5 star recruits walk on at schools 3 years after entering college? It's hardly the "smart" argument, but it avoids the totally idiotic argument that has to be nearly unprecedented.
I don't know how many. We all know that the vast majority of players on scholarships will get one at their next stop. And possibly NIL as well. And I didn't predict that Rucci would walk on. I just don't eliminate possibilities for any young player 3 years out of high school no matter what his previous "ratings" were. Especially players that have connections to certain schools like Rucci has to PSU through his father. It seems that PSU already has one player commited to walk on that likely had scholarship offers elsewhere.

Absurd to you doesn't make it absurd.

I don't know how many. And I didn't predict that Rucci would walk on. I just don't eliminate possibilities for any young player 3 years out of high school no matter what his previous "ratings" were. Especially players that have connections to certain schools like Rucci has to PSU through his father.

Absurd to you doesn't make it absurd.
Thats fine

Do or can a Preferred Walk On-site get NIL? If so then NIL can offset tuition etc. costs? Can that approach be used to get around scholarship limits?

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
Do or can a Preferred Walk On-site get NIL? If so then NIL can offset tuition etc. costs? Can that approach be used to get around scholarship limits?
I was wondering that too. At some point, why would scholarships matter when NIL could more than cover the tuition? A top team loaded with cash could just buy 20 more top recruits than they have scholarships for.

Wild West. Why couldn't a car dealer from Lancaster choose to loan Rucci a Tesla or BMW? If some "appearance fees" totaling $27k showed up who cares (other than the IRS)?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT