ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Transfer Portal thread......

GregInPitt

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
USC
Is three a position other than WR that Franklin and his staff will actively seek players....?

QB - N0
RB - No With Martin looking like the 2nd coming of Curt Warner and Wallace and Montgomery looking talented,....no
OL - I don't see Trautwein looking outside. Four good players competing for 2 OT spots and plenty of talent inside with Cousins seeming a legit option and JB Nelson back for Fall camp
TE - No Did anyone see Cross on the field yesterday? May see a TE go to the portal
WR - YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!! I look for a net -2 on scholarship by August, and that's with 1 or 2 additions from the Portal

CB - No. Harris and Kimber looked very good and very ready, and with Miller, Tracy, Washington, Collins and the 2 true freshman, plenty of talent. And were my eyes correct in that the walk on Dinkins looked pretty legit as well?
Safety - No Loaded 3 legit starters and a load of young developing talent behind them.
LB - No. Rojas, King, DeLuka, Wylie.... and some young developing players like Robinson, Jackson and particularly Keys who looked big, fast and instinctive yesterday.
DE - No. Likely the most stacked group on the team. PSU 3-6 players would start on 2/3rds of the P5 teams, and there is young developing talent behind the 3 deep.
DT - No. A very experienced group. Did anyone see enough of the 4 true freshmen DT's to comment on how they looked from an athletic, size or instincts persepective???

Special Teams - ?? Will the staff look for a walk on transfer from the Portal this spring that doesn't mind paying his own way (minus a little NIL) in order to play in front of the best home game fans in all of sports??????

Seems like getting down to 85 players is the priority right now.
It seems like that, which is why Franklin's recent comment about the team being much closer to 85 that fans believe is puzzling.

Franklin won't stop evaluating talent and trying to bring in players to improve the team so I fully expect a player or two, at least, to join the team between now and June.

Reactions: Obliviax
Is three a position other than WR that Franklin and his staff will actively seek players....?

QB - N0
RB - No With Martin looking like the 2nd coming of Curt Warner and Wallace and Montgomery looking talented,....no
OL - I don't see Trautwein looking outside. Four good players competing for 2 OT spots and plenty of talent inside with Cousins seeming a legit option and JB Nelson back for Fall camp
TE - No Did anyone see Cross on the field yesterday? May see a TE go to the portal
WR - YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!! I look for a net -2 on scholarship by August, and that's with 1 or 2 additions from the Portal

CB - No. Harris and Kimber looked very good and very ready, and with Miller, Tracy, Washington, Collins and the 2 true freshman, plenty of talent. And were my eyes correct in that the walk on Dinkins looked pretty legit as well?
Safety - No Loaded 3 legit starters and a load of young developing talent behind them.
LB - No. Rojas, King, DeLuka, Wylie.... and some young developing players like Robinson, Jackson and particularly Keys who looked big, fast and instinctive yesterday.
DE - No. Likely the most stacked group on the team. PSU 3-6 players would start on 2/3rds of the P5 teams, and there is young developing talent behind the 3 deep.
DT - No. A very experienced group. Did anyone see enough of the 4 true freshmen DT's to comment on how they looked from an athletic, size or instincts persepective???

Special Teams - ?? Will the staff look for a walk on transfer from the Portal this spring that doesn't mind paying his own way (minus a little NIL) in order to play in front of the best home game fans in all of sports??????
Great summary. And I totally agree with this analysis. I think we bring on a WR and lose 2-3. If a really good DT is interested, then I'd say yes but they are really hard to land.

Reactions: OKLionFan
Great summary. And I totally agree with this analysis. I think we bring on a WR and lose 2-3. If a really good DT is interested, then I'd say yes but they are really hard to land.
Yep. Franklin will take a talented WR if that WR is only for a year. At DT is seems like he'd want a player with at least 2 years to play given all the DT's that PSU will lose after this season.

Reactions: OKLionFan

QB - N0

Greg... Seems you learned more from a spring scrimmage than the coaching staff... 😂
Just kidding. Most of that is probably accurate. Funny how both Franklin and Allar in their post game defended the talent of the wide receiver room... almost sounded rehearsed from the copy of an inhouse a speech writer.

Reactions: blair10

QB - N0

A very good summary.

Top priority: WR, WR, and WR.

You know the WR room is a disaster when the head coach (Franklin) makes an effort to tell the media how talented the WRs are at Penn State. Without a doubt, the worst WR room in Franklin’s tenure.

A very good summary.

Top priority: WR, WR, and WR.

You know the WR room is a disaster when the head coach (Franklin) makes an effort to tell the media how talented the WRs are at Penn State. Without a doubt, the worst WR room in Franklin’s tenure.
If Wallace remains healthy it’s better than last year. You essentially added Wallace and Fleming and lost Lambert-Smith.

Of course no guarantee Wallace stays healthy but if he does this year’s group should be better.

If Wallace remains healthy it’s better than last year. You essentially added Wallace and Fleming and lost Lambert-Smith.

Of course no guarantee Wallace stays healthy but if he does this year’s group should be better.
And all the rest of the WR's are also a year older. Saunders had some decent moments last season so if he has improved he could be a 500-600 yard slot receiver. What we needed was for a young WR such as Taylor, Johnson, Ivey or Evans to have a real coming out party this Spring. Or McClain to get over the drops and make some contested catches yesterday. We really didn't see any of that yesterday but it could still happen.

One of these years, by the law of averages, the staff will get a couple high 4 star WR's that will enroll early and generate buzz in the Spring like we haven't had in decades..... But it sure didn't happen this Spring.

No disrespect intended towards specific players. But seriously, exactly what has Wallace accomplished in the B1G in his 3+ years at Penn State? Nada. Zilch. Wallace has a grand total of 501 yards receiving and 2 TDs over a 3 year career at Penn State.

Fleming’s career numbers are only slightly better with 900+ yards receiving in 4 years at OSU. Not exactly inspiring. Fleming is just another possession type WR (and Penn State has too many already) who is not known as a deep threat or dangerous WR. Fleming’s strengths are blocking, being a good teammate, and leadership. All notable intangible attributes.

However, Penn State needs a stud WR who is a deep threat and instills fear in opposing defenses.

Penn State’s WR room doesn’t scare opponents. That’s why opposing defenses continue to play lock-down man coverage with an 8 man stacked box against Penn State.

Last edited:

Actually Wallace and Fleming both need to reman healthy, that is the reason Saunders and another WR must step up and why PSU must find a very good WR in the portal.

Reactions: LeatherHelmets

The article says that's 4 WR's so far to the Portal so far - Cephus, Driver, KLS and Meiga.

At this point I'm going with and over under of 2 additional WR's leaving by June. With 1-2 coming to PSU from the Portal.

Meiga physically looked like an NFL WR, but he must not have been able to catch a football under pressure. Anyone have further insight into why he neve could get on the field?

Last edited:
Reactions: bison13
Ivey was a 4*
Evans?
Evans was a an RB, QB and track guy. He has the speed but has been learning the position.

Not sure what stars have to do with anything... McClain 5* can't catch a curl pattern hitting his hands and Driver was a 4*. Ivey has always seemed too slow to me.

Maybe coach Terry Smith has another year of eligibility... 😆

The article says that's 4 WR's so far to the Portal so far - Cephus, Driver, KLS and Meiga.

At this point I'm going with and over under of 2 additional WR's leaving by June. With 1-2 coming to PSU from the Portal.

Meiga physically looked like an NFL WR, but he must not have been able to catch a football under pressure. Anyone have further insight into why he neve could get on the field?
My opinion only, but Meiga was a workout warrior that on the same day brought us PSU All-Timer Norvel Black. I am not aware of anything Miega did on the field prior to.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT