ADVERTISEMENT

Is KLS going to the portal?

Franklin has an excellent hit rate in the portal. Look at all the portal players that have gone into the NFL. Fact is, Franklin builds his team on recruiting, not the portal. He also directs NIL to maintaining his current players far more than portal players. That's not being a homer, that's being clueless regarding philosophy. You're spot on.

In terms of portal success at Penn State (post Penn State is irrelevant), Franklin has been very good to excellent on the defense side. I give Franklin lots of credit there.

Now, on the offense side and specifically the WR position:

Tinsley - Low impact, not a difference maker, solid player but nothing special. - Grade C+
Cephas - A complete bust. Zero impact. Couldn’t even remember the playbook. - Grade F
Fleming - Expectations are low considering his disappointing 4 years at OSU. Nice guy, great intangibles, possession type receiver who is not considered a deep threat guy. - Grade TBD

In terms of portal success at Penn State (post Penn State is irrelevant), Franklin has been very good to excellent on the defense side. I give Franklin lots of credit there.

Tinsley - Low impact, not a difference maker, solid player but nothing special. - Grade C+
Cephas - A complete bust. Zero impact. Couldn’t even remember the playbook. - Grade F
Fleming - Expectations are low considering his disappointing 4 years at OSU. Nice guy, great intangibles, possession type receiver who is not considered a deep threat guy. - Grade TBD
Tinsley was a B- to maybe a B. While he did not set the world on fire, he was a solid WR. I’m not sure what we would’ve done without his production that year. I would take another Tinsley-level wr this season! Hell, last season Tinsley would possibly have been enough to win one of those two games against the big two.

Lets not forget that this is a new offense with a new OC. The ones that utilized Cephas and Tinsley were fired.

The problem here isn't portal, the problem is the whole wideout program. Poor recruiting, coaching turnover so players were in a different system than what they were recruited for. Countless 4 star recruits who didn't pan out. It just was a combination of a lot of things. Portal can't cover up a general failure of recruiting and player development.

Anyway, Tinsley was a terrific player. Not an AA but a very solid B1G possession receiver. He's one PSU wideout who might actually have played at Ohio State and Michigan. If Fleming can be the kind of player Tinsley was -- get open in a zone, catch everything that comes to him -- he will be a success. Fleming is not going to be a star, people should not be expecting that.

I'm sorry Cephas left, he flashed that he's a player but just got lost in the total mess that was the PSU passing game last year. The fact that he landed at Kansas State shows you he can play.

The problem here isn't portal, the problem is the whole wideout program. Poor recruiting, coaching turnover so players were in a different system than what they were recruited for. Countless 4 star recruits who didn't pan out. It just was a combination of a lot of things. Portal can't cover up a general failure of recruiting and player development.

Anyway, Tinsley was a terrific player. Not an AA but a very solid B1G possession receiver. He's one PSU wideout who might actually have played at Ohio State and Michigan. If Fleming can be the kind of player Tinsley was -- get open in a zone, catch everything that comes to him -- he will be a success. Fleming is not going to be a star, people should not be expecting that.

I'm sorry Cephas left, he flashed that he's a player but just got lost in the total mess that was the PSU passing game last year. The fact that he landed at Kansas State shows you he can play.

Dead on about WR recruiting. About a 20% success rate over 5-6 years. Seems like it began with Dunmore and the kid who ended up at UAB, Jones maybe. They washed out quickly and it seems we've been after 5 per cycle since and the hit rate has been low.

Tinsley was good and we'd probably be fine with 2 more of his caliber.

Fleming needs to be a Tinsley at a minimum. No clue where his ceiling is, but anything less than 500 yards receiving will be a disappointment unless 2 other players go 500+.

Cephas at KState just means he did enough to not drop back down below P5. Not knowing the playbook is pretty damning and isn't a trait anybody is looking for. I do think he had a couple flashes, but nothing that screamed "Big 10 starting WR". The ceiling here was so last year, any catch felt like a 5th grade little league team fielding a ground ball and throwing the runner out at 1st.

Yes, it was that bad.

Reactions: doctornick
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT