ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers wrestling $$$

They aren’t getting a very good return on investment. 4th most spending for an 11th place finish?

Reactions: cypherb
Interesting NJ.com article on Rutgers wrestling finances.

Unfortunately, the article includes the claim that Rutgers has “morphed into a national title contender.” So it seems like the reporter doesn’t actually watch wrestling.

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/i...ey.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

They also have Rutgers going 6-0 at home this year so I guess the PSU dual only counts toward attendance, not their won loss record. NJ.com has been consistently unreliable.

Reactions: Sullivan
Still under the "Rutgers Football" section of the cheerleaders site.

I was surprised that it had PSU working at a deficit of over $800000...I thought the team was closer to self-supporting. Of course, it is nj.com, so it could be incorrect.

Unfortunately, the article includes the claim that Rutgers has “morphed into a national title contender.” So it seems like the reporter doesn’t actually watch wrestling.

But Donnie Pritzlaff has guaranteed a team trophy this coming season, so that automatically makes them a national title contender, much like Richie Lewis winning a championship this season just completed.

The article says they were 6-0 at home in 2016-17, which I believe is correct.

I love NJ.com coverage of Rutgers. Why would you mention their home record of 2-4 in the 2017-18 season to show their progress when you can point to their 6-0 record the season before?

They aren’t getting a very good return on investment. 4th most spending for an 11th place finish?

This.

And #3 on this list:

I love NJ.com coverage of Rutgers. Why would you mention their home record of 2-4 in the 2017-18 season to show their progress when you can point to their 6-0 record the season before?

To be fair, they're reporting on 2016-17 financial data, so it makes sense to align performance metrics to that.

I don't see what category the 'cruiseliner' use falls under... and what does 'recruiting' cover :rolleyes: ?

fwiw, the entire story is about 2016-17. I assume that's the last year for which the financial data is available. Would not have been a bad idea to mention that somewhere in the text to avoid this sort of confusion.

The bigger question from this article is why no one is complaining about the level of contributions at Ohio State, which are over 4x the level of even Penn State. Also interesting is that Penn State had more ticket revenue than Iowa in 2016-17.

Reactions: PSUer1989
The bigger question from this article is why no one is complaining about the level of contributions at Ohio State, which are over 4x the level of even Penn State. Also interesting is that Penn State had more ticket revenue than Iowa in 2016-17.

Why is Penn State the only school on that list that doesn’t report coaching salaries?

Y’all spend a lot of time talking about Rutgers money while ignoring how much more y’all have than everyone else.

4th In spending and 11th place. I know many of you guys think wrestling was invented the day Cael showed up in happy valley, but it wasn’t. This program in a hotbed of wrestlingbtalent was a doormat. Goodale got money to spend and made the team much more than an easy out or a warm-up dual.

He took a guy who never finished higher than 4th in the state to the round of 12 his junior year. Go ask that kid if the spending was a decent return.

Reactions: minnhawkeye
Y’all spend a lot of time talking about Rutgers money while ignoring how much more y’all have than everyone else.

4th In spending and 11th place. I know many of you guys think wrestling was invented the day Cael showed up in happy valley, but it wasn’t. This program in a hotbed of wrestlingbtalent was a doormat. Goodale got money to spend and made the team much more than an easy out or a warm-up dual.

He took a guy who never finished higher than 4th in the state to the round of 12 his junior year. Go ask that kid if the spending was a decent return.

I always get a chuckle from those that elect to lecture the board community, and while doing so use sweeping statements and broad generalizations that are not applicable to most of the board community. The use of such statements and generalizations, IMHO, undercuts whatever point the lecturer is attempting to make.

Not sure what exactly you're responding to, but cherry picking one guy who almost made All American but didn't in a season when he had 14 losses is prolly not the best argument for Rutgers "morphing into a national title contender."

I would love to see RU turn into a top program, where their wrestlers compete on the mat, etc. Of course, not at the expense of them getting any recruits we desire, but.... ;-P

I always get a chuckle from those that elect to lecture the board community, and while doing so use sweeping statements and broad generalizations that are not applicable to most of the board community. The use of such statements and generalizations, IMHO, undercuts whatever point the lecturer is attempting to make.

I'd ignore this clown. He's only too happy to show his true colors regarding Penn State and its fans when posting on their board.

I see BadBanjo is back! Whatever happened to GoodBanjo that liked pizza and talked nice?

Last edited:
that's 4th most spending in the Big Ten to go with that 11th place national finish.

And 11th at B1Gs. That's a fact. You have to realize the Suriano effect on the Nationals finish and the fact that placing 11th in 2018 required a lot less points than in prior years. But feel free to ignore the dismal dual season and 11th place B1G finish.

I know many of you guys think wrestling was invented the day Cael showed up in happy valley, but it wasn’t. This program in a hotbed of wrestlingbtalent was a doormat.

The doormat that finished 3rd at Nationals in 2008? The doormat that finished 9th in 2006 and 2010? The doormat whose 10th place finish from 1990-1999 was their lowest and had a second place finish, 3 3rd place finishes, 3 4th place finishes, 1 5th and 1 6th place finish during that 10 year period? That doormat? The one if you go back from 1990, you have to go to 1982 to find a finish outside the top 10? That doormat?

Yes, the Sunderland years were a low point in the program history, but "doormat"?

Please, child. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

He also recruited a national champion caliber 125 pounder right out of a fellow Big10er's wrestling room. Then coached the kid into an offensive machine who looked in the semi-finals and finals as though he has never learned an offensive skill.

Just saying.

Reactions: PSUer1989
And 11th at B1Gs. That's a fact. You have to realize the Suriano effect on the Nationals finish and the fact that placing 11th in 2018 required a lot less points than in prior years. But feel free to ignore the dismal dual season and 11th place B1G finish.

The doormat that finished 3rd at Nationals in 2008? The doormat that finished 9th in 2006 and 2010? The doormat whose 10th place finish from 1990-1999 was their lowest and had a second place finish, 3 3rd place finishes, 3 4th place finishes, 1 5th and 1 6th place finish during that 10 year period? That doormat? The one if you go back from 1990, you have to go to 1982 to find a finish outside the top 10? That doormat?

Yes, the Sunderland years were a low point in the program history, but "doormat"?

I know many programs aspire to reach our former “doormat” status :p

There you go ruining another good thread by throwing facts out there. There is no place for facts on a message board. :)

He also recruited a national champion caliber 125 pounder right out of a fellow Big10er's wrestling room. Then coached the kid into an offensive machine who looked in the semi-finals and finals as though he has never learned an offensive skill.

Just saying.
Ouch! That will hurt because it's sooooo true.

Reactions: nitlion6
So we finally found something that RU Wrestling is in the perennial top 10 in :)

Apparently they're not spending enough $ to knock off perennial PA power LHU. ;) though

1. OSU ..... ticket sales $181,000 / PSU $685,000. Quite the difference.

2. If OSU made money in wrestling this year...... you can bet "VODKA" will be investigating :)

But Donnie Pritzlaff has guaranteed a team trophy this coming season, so that automatically makes them a national title contender, much like Richie Lewis winning a championship this season just completed.

I believe the qualifier NJ.com/RU likes to use is that so and so is "in the conversation" of national title contenders. They just omit the fact that the part of the conversation they are in comes after actual contenders have been discussed. ;)

Reactions: Dogwelder
I believe the qualifier NJ.com/RU likes to use is that so and so is "in the conversation" of national title contenders. They just omit the fact that the part of the conversation they are in comes after actual contenders have been discussed. ;)

Except this time, the national championship contender crown was stated as a fact.

"Can a Rutgers wrestling program that's morphed into a national-championship contender become a true revenue-producing sport?"

Except this time, the national championship contender crown was stated as a fact.

"Can a Rutgers wrestling program that's morphed into a national-championship contender become a true revenue-producing sport?"
Well, to be fair, it does say "national championship contender," not "national champion contender." I think Rutgers will contend in the national championships every year, just not contend to be the national champion. :)

I just get a kick out of someone who takes the time to actually type out "y'all"

According to NJ.com, the Rutgers wrestling program morphed into Suriano.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT