ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP; ASU in B1G for Ice Hockey?

A

anon_is9z1n0h3zblb

Don't remember seeing this but Frank the Tank discusses possible Hockey expansion with ASU as a real candidate. I remember reading somewhere that each B1G Hockey team gets an extra $1 Million from BTN. I did not know that Nebraska already had most of the facilities in place to start a D-1 program. Frank is generally an interesting read.

hit me

I recall this was posted days ago.

Comments about UNL adding hockey were that UNO already had a div 1 team. I'm not sure how much water that argument holds given that there are examples of a university system competing in the same sport at the same level at two or more locations. However, I could buy the argument against adding UNL if hockey was not self-sustaining at either location and therefore a financial burden on the university system and maybe taxpayers. WRT ASU playing hockey in the BT, that's hard to imagine given logistical issues. There's a precedent in the BT with Johns Hopkins playing conference LAX, but travel is irrelevant in that case.

State of Nebraska does very well in supporting hockey....

Nebraska supports three USHL franchises and one division 1 program.

In Omaha alone, the university gets just over 6,000 per game (5th nationally) while the Lancers get over 3600 for junior hockey (4th in the USHL in attendance).

The Tri City Storm based in Kearny (a town of only 30,000 people about 2 hrs from Lincoln) has averaged between 2500 and 3000 the past few years.

Meanwhile, Lincoln gets over 3000 for its junior team (which is down the past few years....from 2000-2010, they were up between 4500 and 5000 per game). One could easily imagine the Huskers being a big draw from all of these areas to make elevating its program to D1 a worthwhile financial pursuit.

I don't know what to make of ASU joining for hockey. Not a big fan of that (or the Hopkins lacrosse deal) plus there are serious logistical issues. As for Nebby- from what I've seen their fans seem to think it won't happen because of the team at Nebraska- Omaha.

plus there are serious logistical issues.

Especially for ASU. Their shortest Big Ten trip would be to Minny, unless NU joined.

There are 1,276[/B] miles from Minneapolis and Tempe and 1,635 miles[/B] by car.

This post was edited on 3/30 12:42 PM by mn78psu83

UNO is not a reason for UNL not to have a D1 team. UMass has two teams in Hockey East and nine of the 12 teams are within 90 minutes of Boston. Only ND is a plane trip. Maybe they should join the B1G in hockey only (LOL).

Well, each school has their own dynamics and internal politics. From what I've seen in the past on the Nebby boards- their own fans think UNO is an obstacle for UNL. Now they may overcome those obstacles but their general opinion was that it wouldn't likely happen. Now if Warren Buffett donates $100 million to set things up, then who knows.

Getting ASU in our league would be a real plus.

First of all the travel is really not that big of a deal. You're making about 9 trips a year, 6 road league series and figure 3 non-con. You're playing 2-game series so overall it's less miles than basketball. It's only 4 hours or less to everybody else, 5 for us. ASU's opponents, no matter what league they are in, are all going to be flights anyway. You leave Thursday night, have your morning skate Friday, play Fri and Sat, back home Saturday night.

Schools like Alaska-Anchorage and Univ of Alaska are flying now - a PAC-12 school has a hell of a lot more resources than they do, and with us, they'll be joining a successful and profitable league that is only going to get bigger and better.

The B1G would be excellent for Arizona State and would be great for us. There would certainly be some kind of BTN network deal to bring the hockey games to Phoenix. New eyeballs, new customers, and new subscription fees. Obviously you can't charge the carriage fees that you can charge in Michigan, but it is worth something and it is 100% added marginal revenue at virtually zero cost.

It really is an ideal marriage and would also incentivize current B1G schools to make the move to D-1 hockey.

I've been reading Frank the Tank for a good while. He makes a lot of cogent points and has a great understanding of the finances of big-time college sports. Not bad for an Illinois guy.

It's a terrific sport especially for schools with horrible bball programs. UNL, NU and RU should all step up and join B1G hockey. Maryland is in a good location for hockey and Iowa would support a team as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT