ADVERTISEMENT

Singleton and playmakers

africamurphy

Apr 1, 2019
Franklin said in a pre-game interview that the coach that got his playmakers the most touches would win.

Day knew where his bread got buttered and went to Harrison almost 20 times. 11 for 162 and a TD.

But Franklin doesn't know who his best playmaker even is. KLS? Nope. Good receiver...but not elite. Theo or Warren...very good TEs but not gamechangers. Kaytron Allen? Awesome between the tackles RB...should even see time in the NFL. But we have someone who's better. Someone who has burst and strength and strikes a bit of fear in secondaries?

The guy who doesn't even see the field for half our offensive plays. Nick Singleton.

9 carries. 2 pass targets. 68 offensive plays in the game...and our best weapon saw less than 15% of the looks.

OSU had 75 plays and Harrison was targeted approximately 30%.

You said it yourself, James. And you failed at it, while Day succeeded.

Franklin said in a pre-game interview that the coach that got his playmakers the most touches would win.

Day knew where his bread got buttered and went to Harrison almost 20 times. 11 for 162 and a TD.

But Franklin doesn't know who his best playmaker even is. KLS? Nope. Good receiver...but not elite. Theo or Warren...very good TEs but not gamechangers. Kaytron Allen? Awesome between the tackles RB...should even see time in the NFL. But we have someone who's better. Someone who has burst and strength and strikes a bit of fear in secondaries?

The guy who doesn't even see the field for half our offensive plays. Nick Singleton.

9 carries. 2 pass targets. 68 offensive plays in the game...and our best weapon saw less than 15% of the looks.

The guy that was averaging until 4 yards a carry against P5 opponents going into that game is our best offensive play maker? Can we please stop making Singleton into Barry Sanders or Barkley? He's been a huge disappointment this season. After his hot start Saturday he had 6 carries for 6 yards and dropped a pass.

You are absolutely correct. Nick Singleton is the best athlete on offense and in that situation your best athlete needs to be the focus. More than anything else on Saturday, that was our biggest failure. You have to wonder if a 50-50 split is the right way to go overall in any game, let alone osu. Neither running back is getting into a groove.

Furthermore, let’s go back to the last big game prior to OSU - Utah. Look at the rushing statistics of that game and tell me who won that game and was obviously the best athlete on the field.

Furthermore, let’s go back to the last big game prior to OSU - Utah. Look at the rushing statistics of that game and tell me who won that game and was obviously the best athlete on the field.
But that was oh so long ago and before they started with the delayed handoff b******* to Singleton and to Allen. Get rid of that delayed handoff crap and let Singleton and Allen hit holes before they collapse. And this enables the play action sans Utah game. It's delayed handoff thing is idiotic at best. Take take your speed and negate it for the other team's defense. Brilliant. Not!

Reactions: manilion
I’m sure I’ll get trashed for this, but I would not be surprised to lose Singleton to the highest bidder after the season. Was that possibility not hinted at preseason?

Penn State has great athletes..It's the coaches job to put them in the best position to succeed. Play action pass to a Tight End slant, quicker pass plays. If they're not getting open roll out and pass them open. For all the early season blow outs the offensive play calling leaves a little to be desired.

Penn State has great athletes..It's the coaches job to put them in the best position to succeed. Play action pass to a Tight End slant, quicker pass plays. If they're not getting open roll out and pass them open. For all the early season blow outs the offensive play calling leaves a little to be desired.
..a lot to be desired.
The bowl game offence was terrific. It was replaced with WTF... Delayed handoffs to our super fast RB and delayed handoffs to our super cutting RB... Thus rendering their strengths ... Into oblivion. The play action was murdered and buried, for some reason
Imagine that.

The play calling leaves everything to be desired....

The handoffs are the same. The difference is Clifford was a threat to run. Allar isn't.
Good point and isn't this something you would think the coaches should have anticipated and had a risk mitigation plan in place? What I mean is as we went from the '22 to the '23 season for our offense we had things change.

-Clifford a running threat to Allar not a runner. Pribula a runner.
- KLS now needs to be the #1 receiver but not sure if he is at the B10 #1 receiver level and a bunch of unknowns after that.

So within that context, did we make changes or have a plan for the predicament we are in? Meaning our WRs can't make plays and Allar can't connect with them AND we have no ability to run from the QB position so what is our plan for this scenario? It seems the coaching staff is caught flat footed just like that 2021 debacle vs Iowa when we had no backup QB who could play competently.

Reactions: lazydave841
Watching Jackson and Vaki for Utah and Irving and James for Oregon makes you wonder why we are still doing the delayed handoff. All four of these guys hit the LOS going full speed and made the extra yards that may not have been there with the small holes the OL produced. But, there was a small crease and they blew right through it. The OSU LB's love the delayed handoff; they have been tackling our guys at the LOS for years.

Watching Jackson and Vaki for Utah and Irving and James for Oregon makes you wonder why we are still doing the delayed handoff. All four of these guys hit the LOS going full speed and made the extra yards that may not have been there with the small holes the OL produced. But, there was a small crease and they blew right through it. The OSU LB's love the delayed handoff; they have been tackling our guys at the LOS for years.
Off topic but you brought up Oregon. So call be Nostradamus....

Riley off to NFL to follow Williams....Franklin finally takes the bait to USC.....Lanning to PSU. And we play against Franklin next season and......he still can't win the big game and Lions get the W in the Coliseum.

Riley off to NFL to follow Williams....Franklin finally takes the bait to USC.....Lanning to PSU. And we play against Franklin next season and......he still can't win the big game and Lions get the W in the Coliseum.
Lanning just lost a big game as well. Not sure why we would want him. What are his accomplishments?

But of course and you can say you predicted it first. LMAO

I’m sure I’ll get trashed for this, but I would not be surprised to lose Singleton to the highest bidder after the season. Was that possibility not hinted at preseason?
Is he hiding all film from this year?

I want a Natty! Give Urban whatever he wants

Well he plays to win and not to lose. He was a good coordinator at UGA. Doing well at Oregon.
He lost 49-3 vs GA last year and has lost multiple rivalry games last season and this season. I’ll pass on Lanning and take Franklin.

I'm not convinced that Singleton is PSU's best playmaker. Sure, the red sea parted in the Rose Bowl and he looks great running untouched on a long run. But how many tackles does he break? How many times does he run into the pile when there is daylight if he makes a cut? I like getting the ball to the TE Warren as much as any playmaker on the team currently. Warren seems like the most sure handed receiver on the team, and he breaks tackles and runs over and through defenders.

For me the point is that PSU currently does not have a go to playmaker. Singleton and Allen are very good, but they don't average 6 ypc with an average oline, which is what the 2023 PSU oline has turned out to be. And PSU has no WR that remotely resembles Harrison who not only gets open on about every route, but gets open to the point that a QB throwing to him can almost lob it to him.

Franklin and his staff have done a very good job evaluating talent during his tenure at PSU. But he has not been able to convince top 10 WR's to come to PSU in order to build a consistent top 10 college football WR group as evidenced by the fact that the 2023 WR corps has exactly zero WR's that would be considered among the top 20 college football WR's. No ARob. No Godwin. ...... And no team gets to "elite" without at least 1 super talented playmaking WR.

I don't like it one bit. But that's how I see it.

The guy that was averaging until 4 yards a carry against P5 opponents going into that game is our best offensive play maker? Can we please stop making Singleton into Barry Sanders or Barkley? He's been a huge disappointment this season. After his hot start Saturday he had 6 carries for 6 yards and dropped a pass.
The key is to get your playmakers in space.

I understand your comment about 6 carries for 6 yards but you have to ask why. I think OSU realized that PSU receivers weren't a threat to beat man coverage downfield. How many times did you see OSU with only 1 or even 0 safeties? They committed to stop the run and pressure Allar.

The Monday morning QB in me says we should have gone with 4 WRs to spread the defense. One of those WRs would have been Singleton in the slot.

Reactions: LandoComando
I'm not convinced that Singleton is PSU's best playmaker. Sure, the red sea parted in the Rose Bowl and he looks great running untouched on a long run. But how many tackles does he break? How many times does he run into the pile when there is daylight if he makes a cut? I like getting the ball to the TE Warren as much as any playmaker on the team currently. Warren seems like the most sure handed receiver on the team, and he breaks tackles and runs over and through defenders.

For me the point is that PSU currently does not have a go to playmaker. Singleton and Allen are very good, but they don't average 6 ypc with an average oline, which is what the 2023 PSU oline has turned out to be. And PSU has no WR that remotely resembles Harrison who not only gets open on about every route, but gets open to the point that a QB throwing to him can almost lob it to him.

Franklin and his staff have done a very good job evaluating talent during his tenure at PSU. But he has not been able to convince top 10 WR's to come to PSU in order to build a consistent top 10 college football WR group as evidenced by the fact that the 2023 WR corps has exactly zero WR's that would be considered among the top 20 college football WR's. No ARob. No Godwin. ...... And no team gets to "elite" without at least 1 super talented playmaking WR.

I don't like it one bit. But that's how I see it.
It would really help to have a speedster like Hamler or a big guy who could get downfield and win 50/50 balls like Jureviscius.

Reactions: GregInPitt
The key is to get your playmakers in space.

I understand your comment about 6 carries for 6 yards but you have to ask why. I think OSU realized that PSU receivers weren't a threat to beat man coverage downfield. How many times did you see OSU with only 1 or even 0 safeties? They committed to stop the run and pressure Allar.

The Monday morning QB in me says we should have gone with 4 WRs to spread the defense. One of those WRs would have been Singleton in the slot.
I'd have love to have seen Singleton in the slot. I have to think him dropping that pass on third and short started to limit his usage as well. I hated the gameplan but i don't think the staff has a ton of faith in him right now

the doom and gloom on this board is funny.

tOSU outplayed PSU on Saturday. If you didn't suspect that, not necessarily expect it but suspect it, you don't know much about football. tOSU has been and continues to be a better program than PSU and this has been the case for at least 20 years. Fundamentally, they recruit better. this gives them more playmakers and greater depth than PSU. when I looked at their 22 versus ours, we have had about six starters.

The staff was desperate. Nothing was working on offense. They tried everything. Nothing worked. Could we have recruited better? Coached better? Nobody knows. What the program has to deal with is different than every other school. right now, tOSU is a pipeline to the NFL and that is where the top players want to go. Don't believe me? Check the roster and see that of the starting 22, tOSU had just a few that are from Ohio.

The bottom line is that it is what it is. We are what our record says we are. We are simply a half step behind tOSU and probably Michigan. But this has been the case for most of the last ten years (since the scandal).

the doom and gloom on this board is funny.

tOSU outplayed PSU on Saturday. If you didn't suspect that, not necessarily expect it but suspect it, you don't know much about football. tOSU has been and continues to be a better program than PSU and this has been the case for at least 20 years. Fundamentally, they recruit better. this gives them more playmakers and greater depth than PSU. when I looked at their 22 versus ours, we have had about six starters.

The staff was desperate. Nothing was working on offense. They tried everything. Nothing worked. Could we have recruited better? Coached better? Nobody knows. What the program has to deal with is different than every other school. right now, tOSU is a pipeline to the NFL and that is where the top players want to go. Don't believe me? Check the roster and see that of the starting 22, tOSU had just a few that are from Ohio.

The bottom line is that it is what it is. We are what our record says we are. We are simply a half step behind tOSU and probably Michigan. But this has been the case for most of the last ten years (since the scandal).
Sorry but this year that statement doesn't hold water. Ohio State is down this year and you are going to find that out when they lose a game before Michigan and to Michigan as well.

Reactions: GregInPitt
OSU has been and continues to be a better program than PSU and this has been the case for at least 20 years.
Absolutely true but the talent level should be close enough that PSU should be able to win some of these games in years when they have good talent returning and OSU is rebuilding.

PSU beat OSU in 3 of the last 7 years before sanctions (2005, 2008, 2011). Now we've lost 9 out of 10.

Last edited:
Reactions: MacNit2.0
Absolutely true but the talent level should be close enough that PSU should be able to win some of these games in years when they have good talent returning and OSU is rebuilding.

PSU beat OSU in 3 of the last 7 years before sanctions (2005, 2008, 2011).
Tell that to every team not named GA, AL or UM

It would really help to have a speedster like Hamler or a big guy who could get downfield and win 50/50 balls like Jureviscius.
It is curious to see the lack of wr talent, which had been an uncharacteristic strength of this program over the last 10 years. A Dotson or Godwin could have won that game.

Reactions: bdgan

Pardon me if this was already posted:
Link

Sorry but this year that statement doesn't hold water. Ohio State is down this year and you are going to find that out when they lose a game before Michigan and to Michigan as well.

What game are they dropping prior to Michigan?

15 pt underdog Wisconsin?

Rutgers? Sparty? Minnesota?

OSU might not have the offensive efficiency of years past, but that defense played pretty good.

Tyler Donahue posted on twitter that Allen and Singleton combined for 8 touches in the second half for 19 yards. While Harrison had about 6 for 100...

RBs and WRs are different, obviously. But if anything, the RBs should be getting FAR MORE touches than even a star WR.

He also identified them as our best players. FWIW.

Tell that to every team not named GA, AL or UM
Oregon, Washington and USC will expect to beat them more than once every 10 times
The sad part right now is the Big Ten is so weak other than Penn State, Ohio State and Michigan is that only Michigan and Penn State should have that expectation. We can create all excuses we want but the frustration wasn't Saturday's loss. It's the sum of them.

Very true, but it reminds me of the ol adage...

"You can wish in one hand and shít in the other..."

Oregon has done so recently to their credit.
Oh it won't be easy but Lincoln Riley especially will be under a ton of heat I'd they don't beat them immediately

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT