ADVERTISEMENT

Singleton Under the Radar

Singleton getting less carries and utilized in other ways isn't insulting to him nor is it making Allen into Saquon. They both need to be on the field together and the best way to do that is to be creative with Singleton because of his skill set and the fact we all seem to agree he lacks the vision/patience to be great between the tackles.

Thinking that us wanting to use Singleton to best showcase is skills is "negative" is just insane
My bad on interpreting the comments that way. I really think Singleton can be a key contributor to the offense this year. And of course same goes for Kaytron.

Reactions: lazydave841
My bad on interpreting the comments that way. I really think Singleton can be a key contributor to the offense this year. And of course same goes for Kaytron.
They will be. It's just not a negative thing.
I think the problem is many see/saw Singleton as the "elite" guy with Allen as the complimentary player. What some of us are saying is Allen needs to be the workhorse. He gets better as be gets more carries while Singleton (or best play maker) needs to see screen passes, jet sweeps, shovel passes, draws....plays designed to take advantage of his talent. If Singleton is in the slot or backfield with Allen he's going to be closer to the guy we imagined. He's just not the guy you want running between the tackles a dozen times and backs have to do that these days. If Singleton is alone in the backfield teams will set the edge taking that away from him or trying.

I can't even remember the last time PSU had an imaginative running game. You can't expect an "explosive" play from a running back when all you do is run between the tackles. Every new coordinator brings new hope but it never changes. If it doesn't change under this new guy then it must be Franklin. If that's the case I'll join the chorus of Franklin must go but we all know that won't happen given the money he's owed. Once again, I'll be hoping for something better. We will find out soon.
Or it could be the positional talent elsewhere is not as robust as thought

A lot of people are down on Singleton on this thread. I get it to a point given his 2023 campaign but it does surprise me. The negativity toward him and then the contrasting positivity toward Allen like he is the 2nd coming of Saquon seems out of whack to borrow a Joe phrase.

They are backs with different styles, right. So I don't think you go into the year saying Allen is clearly our first string guy and Singleton is 2nd string but I think many are saying that so I guess I am in the minority.

The point of me posting the thread was obviously not to bring attention to our 2nd string RB who will be minimized in big games and just be a "filler" to Allen. I think Singleton has a lot of potential and can make some big plays for us that can be game changing and game winning. Allen doesn't have the big play potential as much. To relegate Singleton to 2nd string status seems like a waste or premature. Yes, I realize his '23 campaign was not stellar and he was not as good as Allen but this is a new season, with a new OC so we don't know.

I don't know what the right balance is for touches between the two, that depends on a lot of things. What also seems to get lost in the negativity toward Singleton is the poor OC coaching last season. Not saying it was all that but clearly it played a role.

Kaytron is really good and needs to play and get a good amount of touches so I'm not saying he is second string to Singleton either. None of us are at practice or in the coach's meetings so we don't have any current data.
Singleton had more total yards from scrimmage, and that's not even including kick return yards, so some people just have another agenda.

Singleton had more total yards from scrimmage, and that's not even including kick return yards, so some people just have another agenda.
Where is anyone saying he shouldn't get touches or be used in the pass game?
Simple question
Last year, who was more productive in the run game? Allen or Singleton?

And what agenda? Not a single person has said Singleton shouldn't get touches--a ton of touches. Allen needs more carries--touches should be comparable

During '23, he was. Obviously, no?

Singleton did have the better '22, which makes him the plus guy over both years statistically.

My question is, without seeing fall camp, what would you base your #1 projection on? Who played better during the most recent season or the guy with the slightly better stats?
For one thing I would prefer the more well-rounded player, and that is Singleton for each of their first 2 seasons. I wish there was a reel of their pass blocking too, as that is another point to consider.

Reactions: lazydave841
For one thing I would prefer the more well-rounded player, and that is Singleton for each of their first 2 seasons. I wish there was a reel of their pass blocking too, as that is another point to consider.
Which Allen is far better

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT