ADVERTISEMENT

Singleton vs Allen by the numbers

proud2bpsufan

Jan 4, 2013
Singleton had 163 rushes for 702 yds (4.3 average) with a long of 24 and 8 TD's.
Allen had 162 rushes for 851 yards (5.3 average) with a long of 50 and 6 TD's.
However, Singleton had 22 receptions for 222 yds (10.1 yd average) with a long of 53 and 1 TD.
Allen had 14 receptions for 81 yards (5.8 average) with a long of 15 and 1 TD.

Singleton 702+222= 924 total yds & 9 TD's
Allen 851+81= 932 total yds & 7 TD's
I guess by the numbers, Singleton edged out Allen for the more productive season.

I wonder if Singleton actually enjoyed receiving more than rushing? He was able to get the ball in space on a few of his receptions and use his speed very effectively. It still amazes me how he never had a really good run all season...always seemed to get tripped up at about 7-10 yards downfield.

Seems about as even as anyone could draw it up. From their freshman seasons, coming into 2023 I was expecting Singleton to have a considerably higher yards/rush average. Part of it seemed to be the inability of the WR's to force teams to play their Safety's deeper. We keep waiting for a couple of WR's to break out and get on the same page with Allar, but if that does happen in 2024 it would go a long way to upping both RB's yards per carry.

Hope they both return for 2024 with Martin getting some carries as well.

Singleton had 163 rushes for 702 yds (4.3 average) with a long of 24 and 8 TD's.
Allen had 162 rushes for 851 yards (5.3 average) with a long of 50 and 6 TD's.
However, Singleton had 22 receptions for 222 yds (10.1 yd average) with a long of 53 and 1 TD.
Allen had 14 receptions for 81 yards (5.8 average) with a long of 15 and 1 TD.

Singleton 702+222= 924 total yds & 9 TD's
Allen 851+81= 932 total yds & 7 TD's
I guess by the numbers, Singleton edged out Allen for the more productive season.

I wonder if Singleton actually enjoyed receiving more than rushing? He was able to get the ball in space on a few of his receptions and use his speed very effectively. It still amazes me how he never had a really good run all season...always seemed to get tripped up at about 7-10 yards downfield.
Allen's the better back. He's more decisive and reads plays better.
Singleton is the better athlete. He should be used in mutplie spots and as a change of pace with Allen getting 20 carries and Singleton 15+ touches.
The offense should go through them in their strengths.

Seems about as even as anyone could draw it up. From their freshman seasons, coming into 2023 I was expecting Singleton to have a considerably higher yards/rush average. Part of it seemed to be the inability of the WR's to force teams to play their Safety's deeper. We keep waiting for a couple of WR's to break out and get on the same page with Allar, but if that does happen in 2024 it would go a long way to upping both RB's yards per carry.

Hope they both return for 2024 with Martin getting some carries as well.
A lot of it is Singleton has poorer vision and poorer patience as a runner. The kid could easily rush for over 1200 yards if he fine tuned those two areas. He’s not horrible, just more of an athlete than a running back. IMO.

Reactions: bison13
Allen's the better back. He's more decisive and reads plays better.
Singleton is the better athlete. He should be used in mutplie spots and as a change of pace with Allen getting 20 carries and Singleton 15+ touches.
The offense should go through them in their strengths.
Is it just me or does Singleton not look like a fluid runner. He almost has those crazy legs flailing around when he gets up to full speed. I just don't know if he has the natural balance and fluidity to his running style that RB's with similar size and speed have had for us in the past. It might be the reason he gets tripped up so easily.

Singleton needs to shed about 10-15 lbs. He looked slower this year.

Nevertheless, they have combined for over 4200+ yds in their first two years. Singleton with 2200+ and Allen 2000+.

How many RBs or RB tandems have done that? Coach K is lucky to have them both for next year.

Is it just me or does Singleton not look like a fluid runner. He almost has those crazy legs flailing around when he gets up to full speed. I just don't know if he has the natural balance and fluidity to his running style that RB's with similar size and speed have had for us in the past. It might be the reason he gets tripped up so easily.
Could be. I just don't think he has the vision. Trent Richardson comes to mind. If there's a hole where it's designed he's good...if not he's useless.

I’ve noticed that as well. It’s as if something is wrong with his gate. Which would indicate increased susceptibility to injury.

If you add together the rushing and receiving stats for both 2022 and 2023 together Singleton has the edge over Kaytron. Not by much (especially rushing, 1839 to 1801) but he still has more rushing yards and receiving yards and for a higher average. When it comes to receiving this past season Singleton had the clear lead but Kaytron had the clear advantage in 2022. But if you add 2022 and 2023 receiving together Singleton leads 393 yards to 269. Singleton’s numbers are higher both in receiving and rushing for 2022 and 2023 combined. It will be interesting to see who ends up higher (especially rushing) after their 3rd season together.

And Allar’s season was statistically better than Trace’s in 2018 and Cliffs in 2021. Only Trace (2016-17) and Cliff in 2019 and 2022 had better years as a Franklin QB.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT