ADVERTISEMENT

Site complaint - push video

tikk10

Nov 6, 2015
Apologies if this is the wrong place for this but feel free to move if so. I notice that sometime over the weekend the site began pushing streaming video upon each visit. If you visit via phone the video cuts off whatever you were listening to, which is pretty intrusive. At least make this feature something users can toggle off.

Apologies if this is the wrong place for this but feel free to move if so. I notice that sometime over the weekend the site began pushing streaming video upon each visit. If you visit via phone the video cuts off whatever you were listening to, which is pretty intrusive. At least make this feature something users can toggle off.
I'm on an IPhone and the video has an x in upper left corner to close it. I hope this helps.

I'm on an IPhone and the video has an x in upper left corner to close it. I hope this helps.
Thanks but I know how to close it--that's not the point. The video starts automatically and so the audio of whatever you were listening to immediately ceases in deference to playing the Rivals video that you didn't choose to listen to. It's not only incredibly annoying, it impacts data plans.

Thanks but I know how to close it--that's not the point. The video starts automatically and so the audio of whatever you were listening to immediately ceases in deference to playing the Rivals video that you didn't choose to listen to. It's not only incredibly annoying, it impacts data plans.
Sorry..my bad. The Rivals Videos that show up on my phone all appear muted by default. Not sure if there's a setting for you to change to or not.

Sorry..my bad. The Rivals Videos that show up on my phone all appear muted by default. Not sure if there's a setting for you to change to or not.
Same here ( all muted) but the data plan point is an issue that requires some explanation from the site to the members.

I have never seen a video on this site. I use ad block plus, maybe that is the trick.

I'm using an iPhone 6 and don't experience what's happening to you. (And I'm not good at changing my settings) Is it possible you modified some default setting that is now causing the problem?

Glad it's not an issue for everyone but still happening to me. I was able to fix it on my end by switching browsers to one that permitted me to disable autoplaying media.

I'm using an iPhone 6 and don't experience what's happening to you. (And I'm not good at changing my settings) Is it possible you modified some default setting that is now causing the problem?
I see it on my phones. Both Iphone and Galaxy. It's the whole way at the bottom below where you post reply. Slow moving video usually so you might not notice it.

I see it on my phones. Both Iphone and Galaxy. It's the whole way at the bottom below where you post reply. Slow moving video usually so you might not notice it.
Yeah, dropping a screenshot here so it's clear what I'm talking about. It runs all the way at the bottom and unless you're able to stop autoplaying, it starts running automatically and takes over the audio of your phone even if you can't see it.

SkCd9HV.png

Yeah, dropping a screenshot here so it's clear what I'm talking about. It runs all the way at the bottom and unless you're able to stop autoplaying, it starts running automatically and takes over the audio of your phone even if you can't see it.

SkCd9HV.png
hey tikk, jsyk, I passed along your message earlier this morning. This isn't the first complaint we've had about this and I too find the autoplay annoying at times, but unfortunately it's something out of BWI's control at the moment. It's a Rivals thing, so I guess for now my recommendation would be to keep hitting that X to exit out of it until we come up with a better solution. But your message has been passed along

I'm not getting that video at the bottom on my iPhone or iPad (safari browser) or on my PC based laptop (google chrome browser) no matter how far I scroll down. I hate technology with every fiber of my being (and yet here I am) so chances are that All 3 devices have their browsers on default settings. Maybe reset to default and see what happens? I'm probably stating the obvious, but I'm just trying to be a helpful citizen. o_O

Edit: I tried to post a picture of a screenshot and failed miserably, so yeah...

Reactions: tikk10
hey tikk, jsyk, I passed along your message earlier this morning. This isn't the first complaint we've had about this and I too find the autoplay annoying at times, but unfortunately it's something out of BWI's control at the moment. It's a Rivals thing, so I guess for now my recommendation would be to keep hitting that X to exit out of it until we come up with a better solution. But your message has been passed along
While we're passing along feedback:

These BWI videos send system notifications to my phone, just like when I get a new email or text or voicemail. The notification always contains either the play arrow or the pause bars, so it's pretty obviously a new video.

More than kinda annoying considering my phone is set to beep on notifications (in case of something silly like my customer calling).

Samsung Galaxy S7.

While we're passing along feedback:

These BWI videos send system notifications to my phone, just like when I get a new email or text or voicemail. The notification always contains either the play arrow or the pause bars, so it's pretty obviously a new video.

More than kinda annoying considering my phone is set to beep on notifications (in case of something silly like my customer calling).

Samsung Galaxy S7.
Experiencing the same here with respect to notifications, also on Galaxy S7 (but Edge). The notification is why it cuts off my existing audio, I believe. Because sometimes I don't even get the audio of the Rivals video, it just stops cold whatever I was already listening to.

Jefe, if you use Chrome, try
SETTINGS > SITE SETTINGS > MEDIA > AUTOPLAY (choose "blocked")
It's on by default, I think, but that has worked for me. Of course, if you otherwise prefer your browser to autoplay video, this fix doesn't help.

My Galaxy has also had the video notifications come up. I believe that it just started within the past week. I have all notifications turned off except for calls and texts so I get get an audible alert.

Just played with my phone for past hour and couldn't figure it out. I logged off and logged back on and now I don't see the videos. Weird..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT