ADVERTISEMENT

Smoke Dixon pulling NO punches on State of State

This is excellent. Best thing is the hosts allowed Smoke to talk without interruption. Most hosts want to show how smart they are and talk way too much.

And Smoke was great. Really gave a peak inside the walls. Smoke is brutally honest, whether one agrees with him or not you know you got his true opinion.

Thanks for posting.

Reactions: Psubiomed
This is excellent. Best thing is the hosts allowed Smoke to talk without interruption. Most hosts want to show how smart they are and talk way too much.

And Smoke was great. Really gave a peak inside the walls. Smoke is brutally honest, whether one agrees with him or not you know you got his true opinion.

Thanks for posting.
Who is this Smoke guy? Not questioning his knowledge or opinions - just never heard of him before...

I listened to this last week. I thought it was fair as far as an analysts perspective goes.
Entertaining for sure but I listened to this guy go on and on to finally tell me Penn State didn’t have enough good players, especially playmakers, which we already knew. He has a lot of experience and insight for sure but unless he is inside the locker room he has no idea what is going on “inside the walls” at Penn State. Many of the things he was pointing out as problems, not enough explosive plays for example is something Franklin has harped on all season. I ain’t inside the walls so I don’t know how much Franklin was involved in play calling when MY was OC, if at all. I also ain’t drawing any broad conclusions from the MSU game, especially given how bad MSU is this year, but I did find it interesting that Franklin had a play sheet with him until the game got out of hand and the team had almost 600 yards of total offense.

Entertaining for sure but I listened to this guy go on and on to finally tell me Penn State didn’t have enough good players, especially playmakers, which we already knew. He has a lot of experience and insight for sure but unless he is inside the locker room he has no idea what is going on “inside the walls” at Penn State. Many of the things he was pointing out as problems, not enough explosive plays for example is something Franklin has harped on all season. I ain’t inside the walls so I don’t know how much Franklin was involved in play calling when MY was OC, if at all. I also ain’t drawing any broad conclusions from the MSU game, especially given how bad MSU is this year, but I did find it interesting that Franklin had a play sheet with him until the game got out of hand and the team had almost 600 yards of total offense.
He always has a play sheet with him

We have playmakers, but we had an offense that was not taking advantage of their strengths.
Your evaluation is good but I believe a more precise assessment would be “We have playmakers, but not enough. And we had an offense that wasn’t taking advantage of the strengths of the one’s we had”. Or maybe I’m just splitting hairs, which is odd because I’m bald.

So I stopped listening when he talked about needing to add mental health nut cases to the roster.

So I stopped listening when he talked about needing to add mental health nut cases to the roster.

Smoke Dixon has no clue about PSU Football. He's friends with Justin King, who invited him on the State of State podcasts. It became obvious with the first few topics that he has no clue of any inner or for that matter outer workings. He admitted he really hasn't watched PSU this year and the stuff he said was the same old outside script that everyone says.

Really, I thought that was the highlight of the interview! Just think how dangerous we would be with a couple of Jeffery Dahmer’s or John Wayne Gacy’s on the roster. Actually, ole Smoke didn’t strike me as a pillar of normality with his constant hand gestures.

Smoke Dixon has no clue about PSU Football. He's friends with Justin King, who invited him on the State of State podcasts. It became obvious with the first few topics that he has no clue of any inner or for that matter outer workings. He admitted he really hasn't watched PSU this year and the stuff he said was the same old outside script that everyone says.
He said he didn’t know a lot about the workings of PSU. What was most interest, at least to me, were the general inter workings and behind the scenes stuff. Adapting to the talent our team has. The need for an outside analyst. Using a search committee. His head coaches are blind to their own issues. How a good OC is a quarterback whisperer.

Didn’t agree with everything he said but the video was very good.

We lost at least two quality players the last few years due to mental health issues. And that doesn’t mean schizophrenia or multiple personalities. It means getting depressed. Or a collapse in confidence after a bad game or two. Or how to handle the stress of being a high profile player.

With social media these kids live under a microscope and get constant criticism. A hundred times worse than twenty years ago. Along with all the other BS that teens are subjected to in these crazy times.

Lots of top athletes have a full time sports psychologist on call. Have regular sessions with them. Many champions credit their sports psychologist for their success.

Your evaluation is good but I believe a more precise assessment would be “We have playmakers, but not enough. And we had an offense that wasn’t taking advantage of the strengths of the one’s we had”. Or maybe I’m just splitting hairs, which is odd because I’m bald.
We could use more, for sure. But I think Singleton, Allen, KLS, Wallace, Theo Johnson, Dinkins, and Cephas all are talented players. Singleton for one was criminally misused with few attempts to get him the ball in space where he excels. It feels to me like Yurcich would decide he wanted to win in a certain way and instead of going with what was working, he would keep trying the thing that wasn't working without going back to the thing that did work. Singleton was able to run against Ohio State up the middle - he had a couple of nice plays back-to-back, then we just gave up on that.

I know MSU was not Michigan or Ohio State, but you saw a lot more creativity and a willingness to do what works and Singleton looked like what we thought we had based on last year.

It seems like both Yurcich and Matt Canada would get caught up in trying to do what they wanted to do instead of what was going to work against the opponent or with the personnel they had. Sometimes it was so bad you wonder if they weren't throwing the games.

Reactions: cigarowl
Really, I thought that was the highlight of the interview! Just think how dangerous we would be with a couple of Jeffery Dahmer’s or John Wayne Gacy’s on the roster. Actually, ole Smoke didn’t strike me as a pillar of normality with his constant hand gestures.
Yeah I thought that was bizarre too.

Cup I am not sure about that. He is usually on the sidelines with his arms crossed.
He does. Has it every game. In his hand or Tucked in his pants

I am technology challenged or id post it. but I just went back and scanned the Michigan game. Took a screen shot at 8:39 (first time they show JF during the game ) mark of the first quarter, there’s Franklin with the full play chart in his hand on the sidelines. I’ll post if someone tells me how lol

He’s talked about it. Go listen to the Audrey Snyder pod cast from right after MY was fired. She talks about how he always has the chart. Always talking to the offensive staff

Add: Here is the podcast. Quick mention of it at 13:20,

I’ll find where they talk more in depth about it

Last edited:
Reactions: bigbopper1985
He does. Has it every game. In his hand or Tucked in his pants

I am technology challenged or id post it. but I just went back and scanned the Michigan game. Took a screen shot at 8:39 (first time they show JF during the game ) mark of the first quarter, there’s Franklin with the full play chart in his hand on the sidelines

He’s talked about it. Go listen to the Audrey Snyder pod cast from right after MY was fired. She talks about how he always has the chart. Always talking to the offensive staff

I‘ll post it if someone tells me how lol

Add: He’s the podcast. Quick mention of it at 13:20,

I’ll find where they talk more in depth about jt

At the 6 minute to 10 minute mark they talk about it.

You can also scroll down on the main page of this website and see the pictures attached to the articles. There’s JF in beaver stadium (not ford field) standing there with the play chart in his hand

Last edited:
2019 vs Michigan, with Ricky Rahne (not Yurcich)

41:40 mark. I can’t believe it, James Franklin has the card in his hands… no way!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT