ADVERTISEMENT

So, how's everyone like Ricky Rahne?

ChiTownLion

May 29, 2001
biDFHU0.gif

Plus side, not many negative plays, down side, shovel pass.

Kidding aside I think the offer be won't lose a great.

Nothing against RIcky but this team has to figure out how to control the clock with a lead next year and put good teams away. This game was closer than it needed to be but it was a great debut. No team is perfect. There's always room for improvement.

We're recruiting well but replacing Barkley, Hamilton & Gesicki won't be easy. It's a good thing we'll have a veteran QB

Nothing against RIcky but this team has to figure out how to control the clock with a lead next year and put good teams away. This game was closer than it needed to be but it was a great debut. No team is perfect. There's always room for improvement.

We're recruiting well but replacing Barkley, Hamilton & Gesicki won't be easy. It's a good thing we'll have a veteran QB
If you took away the turnovers, it would have been a blowout. At least they finished with a 5 minute plus drive.

The problem with our offense making so many pass plays and big plays is the offense scores quickly and doesn't eat clock. A good problem to have.

When we get a better offensive line, we'll be able to run the ball more to eat clock when we want to.

Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II

Next year got more difficult when we lost Bowen and Charles. Now we have to rely on freshmen.

If you took away the turnovers, it would have been a blowout. At least they finished with a 5 minute plus drive.

Yeah but you don't take away the turnovers. We had other opportunities to put it away. The final driver was better than what happened during the season. I'll give you that. Still room for improvement IMO

Reactions: PSU-PITT/NY
At least they finished with a 5 minute plus drive.

Run twice for nothing, then convert on 3rd and long. Not how I would have done it but it worked this time. Would have been terrible to lose a big 4th qtr lead like last year's bowl game.

Run twice for nothing, then convert on 3rd and long. Not how I would have done it but it worked this time.

If we were aggressive on first and second down throwing the ball and ended up with two clock stopping incompletions, the board would have melted down. The Huskies stayed in their base defense and never sold out to blitz on those plays. Running was the correct call.

If we were aggressive on first and second down throwing the ball and ended up with two clock stopping incompletions, the board would have melted down. The Huskies stayed in their base defense and never sold out to blitz on those plays. Running was the correct call.

McSorley's reads on those plays were just off every time, starting with the first play of the game.

Reactions: LeatherHelmets
Run twice for nothing, then convert on 3rd and long. Not how I would have done it but it worked this time. Would have been terrible to lose a big 4th qtr lead like last year's bowl game.
Well. They should have done it the way you would have done it then.:rolleyes: And yes it would have been terrible to lose a big 4th qtr lead. THEY DIDN'T THOUGH.:D

background.jpg

Last edited:

You're right but we have to be able to run the ball effectively late in games. It's the biggest issue with the scheme IMO

Yep. Plus, I think the coaches thought we could throw the ball at will against them, we had all game, so run the ball a couple of times to bleed the clock, convert on 3rd through the air. We would have converted on 4th and 1 had Mahon not moved. Still think we still should have gone for it on 4th and 6. Would have had a better chance of converting that than Davis making a 45 yard FG the way he’s kicked this year.

6:40 time remaining when we started that final drive. Too much time to go conservative IMO. McSorley had to complete two 3rd and longs under pressure. That's asking a lot but it worked this time. Unfortunately not against OSU or USC last year.

Coach shovel pass? ;)

I thought he did pretty well for the circumstances (minus the shovel pass nonsense). The 3rd down conversion play was incredible. Not as many 2nd and 15s from Barkley being tackled for a loss on 1st down. Stretched the field with the passing game. Overall, well done.

McSorley's reads on those plays were just off every time, starting with the first play of the game.

Trace is not a great zone read QB. He's much better on the called runs. Barkley does better on the called runs. He does everything else great. Probably among the best we have ever had and will own the record book once next year is through. If Rahne does anything, I hope he notices this and continues to adjust accordingly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT