ADVERTISEMENT

So What’s With Little Rock?

AgSurfer

Aug 9, 2013
These guys are the real deal. I was wondering whether PSU set a team score record today and then I read that Little Rock beat their opponents 57-0.

We need to get these guys on our schedule. I don’t think they are quite ready to threaten a top tier team yet, but I’m sure their coach would welcome the opportunity to go against the best team. And Cael is all for scheduling duals that he knows will benefit the other team.

Little Rock's opponent (Lindenwood) was wrestling their final dual ever (they're being dropped), and (as an institution) is in the process of transitioning from Division II to Division I.

• Sad
Reactions: Reslo
I watched that dual yesterday, Lindenwood was very bad, but Little Rock wrestles very aggressively. High pace, constant forward pressure from neutral, chain wrestling and working for turns. It'll be interesting to see some of their guys against better competition in the tournament.

Reactions: Pitchfork Rebel
The credit for their rise goes to Gregg Hatcher who owns a large insurance company in Little Rock. Gregg funds and supports the Little Rock program. Gregg helped start high school wrestling in Arkansas by purchasing mats for each school participating in wrestling. Gregg was also instrumental in bringing Pat Smith to Little Rock to start a wrestling academy.

The credit for their rise goes to Gregg Hatcher who owns a large insurance company in Little Rock. Gregg funds and supports the Little Rock program. Gregg helped start high school wrestling in Arkansas by purchasing mats for each school participating in wrestling. Gregg was also instrumental in bringing Pat Smith to Little Rock to start a wrestling academy.
That's awesome. We need a lot more of that guy.

Little Rock is kinda like the Lock Haven of the midwest.

Erisman has done a great job of recruiting basically the same territory as OKST and Missouri, landing talented guys who maybe aren't quite the biggest names but come in hungry.

They're built for duals but probably won't do as well at nationals -- not enough star power. Only 133 Bailey and 197 Little have much of a shot at the podium this year. OTOH they're both freshmen, and winning a lot of duals + 1 or 2 medals is a great start for a young program.

Little Rock is kinda like the Lock Haven of the midwest.

Erisman has done a great job of recruiting basically the same territory as OKST and Missouri, landing talented guys who maybe aren't quite the biggest names but come in hungry.

They're built for duals but probably won't do as well at nationals -- not enough star power. Only 133 Bailey and 197 Little have much of a shot at the podium this year. OTOH they're both freshmen, and winning a lot of duals + 1 or 2 medals is a great start for a young program.
I hope Little Rock can keep their wrestlers. I would like to see them develop and not be a place for wrestlers to build a resume before they hit the portal.

I hope Little Rock can keep their wrestlers. I would like to see them develop and not be a place for wrestlers to build a resume before they hit the portal.
I hope they can keep their wrestlers AND their coach. What Erisman has done there is nothing short of amazing. To Biffkin's point, Hatcher has provided the financial backing, but Erisman has taken a program from nothing to Top 20 in 5 years. And the kids he brings in are class acts. I see many at youth tournaments, camps, etc. and have gotten to know a few. If UALR opens the checkbook for Erisman, they certainly won't regret it!

I hope they can find a conference next year.

Also Oregon State, Cal Poly, and Cal State Bakersfield.

Conceivably all 4 could stick together in a renamed Pac 12, but they'd get even fewer NCAA auto-qualifiers than now. If any one left, then they'd only get at-large bids -- which is practically begging those schools to cut the sport.

IDK who would take them. Little Rock is Pac 12 because B12 wouldn't take them. Hopefully somebody steps up this offseason.

I hope they can find a conference next year.

Also Oregon State, Cal Poly, and Cal State Bakersfield.

Conceivably all 4 could stick together in a renamed Pac 12, but they'd get even fewer NCAA auto-qualifiers than now. If any one left, then they'd only get at-large bids -- which is practically begging those schools to cut the sport.

IDK who would take them. Little Rock is Pac 12 because B12 wouldn't take them. Hopefully somebody steps up this offseason.
If they can't get into the Big 12 (which geographically would make the most sense), the MAC or SoCon might be the best fit. Without the SEC having wrestling, there's no true geographical conference for UALR. But, I really hope they can find a new home. Living in Arkansas, they're definitely my #2 team (season tickets, though I rarely make a match), and I'll even be wearing a UALR shirt one day at Nationals (with a PSU hat, of course)!

Ryan Warner does a very nice interview with Pat Smith on the Wrestling Changed My Life podcast. Smith gives some good context and background into the evolution of wrestling in Arkansas as well as promoting and building wrestling in that state. I can't seem to find a way to link it here but it is episode #476 released on Feb 5th.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT