ADVERTISEMENT

So you just retired and want to live elsewhere. Pick a country ex-Pats!

Just this morning was discussing becoming an expat.
Portugal, Spain and Belize are very favorable, cost of living vs. rewards.
Central America the heat can be unbearable.
Problem is the US requires all expats still to file tax returns under last residence in USA.

My wife and have been discussing keeping our property in California and retiring as expats around the world. Or. buying somewhere in USA with quality living and low taxes.

https://internationalliving.com/the-best-places-to-retire

Reactions: N&B4PSU
Well if House Hunters International is any guide, seems like every other show is on Costa Rica.

I don't trust many places in Europe currently and I did enough time in Latin America to rule out some places like Honduras, Etc. I spent a lot of time in Mexico which wouldn't be terrible. But for me, it's the house at the Jersey shore. It's what I feel most comfortable at, that and Clearwater Beach.

Reactions: scbob and TheGLOV
We already have (chosen the country, not retired yet) -- Italy. Recently obtained dual citizenship for my wife, me, two adult children, and three grandchildren. And bought a property in the beautiful small town in Calabria where my grandfather was born! :)

Is that because there are no apartments available in Tuscany? ;)

Congratulations on your choice.

My most recent trip to Calabria (Southern Italy) was in May. Met up with some friends at a bar. Went up to pay the tab. Total for 5 glasses of wine, two bottles of Peroni, and one espresso: 7.80 Euros. Fresh produce and fantastic food at virtually every restaurant -- not quite that inexpensive, but still much less expensive (and better) than food in the U.S. Oh, and no taxes and no tips. And at most restaurants, after paying your bill, you join the owner for a limoncello, liquorizia, grappa, or the like. Finally, the people (both locals and other expats -- from Wales, Sweden, Ireland) are fantastic. I'm sure other places are great too, but we're happy with our decision.

Reactions: TheGLOV
You could not pay me to live in any country on that list except, perhaps, Nepal. If I was forced to leave the USA, I would go to Canada or England.

McKees Rocks is kind of like its' own country but I would not recommend it for the faint of heart or 'snowflake' types like yourself fair.

:eek::p;):p:eek:

The Netherlands

Never been there but heard it's fun to do some window shopping in Amsterdam.

I actually lived there in a great town callled 's-Hertogenbosch. I absolutely loved it - if I had to leave the US, I do the Netherlands

Reactions: N&B4PSU
FRANCE.

3679977904_085d2f7501_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Nittany Ned2
***Recruit***________________***School***
1. DE - Micah Parson...............(_________)
2. SAF - Isheem Young............(_________)
3. WR - Jahan Dotson..............(_________)
4. DT - PJ Mustipher.................(_________)
5. DE - Tyreke Smith.................(_________)
6. LB - Jack Lamb.....................(_________)
7. SAF - Kwantel Raines...........(_________)
8. WR - Solomon Enis..............(_________)
9. DT - Aeneas Hawkins...........(_________)
10. WR - Daniel George............(_________)
11. OT - Rasheed Walker..........(_________)
12. OG - Fred Scruggs..............(_________)
13. DE - Dorian Hardy...............(Penn State)
14. OT - Blake Zubovic..............(___Pitt___)
15. DE - Marcellus Earlington....(________)
16. DE - Jayson Oweh...............(_________)
17. DE - John Morgan................(___Pitt___)
18. WR - Aron Cruicshank.........(__WISC_)
19. OT - Tyler Bradley...............(_________)
20. DE - K.J. Henry....................(_________)
21. LB - Brian Asamoah.............(_________)
22. OT - Christian Armstrong.....(___FSU__)
23. DB - Jordan Miner................(Penn State)
24. OT - Chris Bleich.................(___UCLA__)
25. WR - Darryle Simmons........(____VT___)
26. DE - Judge Culpepper........(Penn State)
27. DE - Eyabi Anoma..............(__________)
28. LB - Shayne Simon............(__________)

Spots are filling up fast! Next please??
Wrong thread big guy. When people talk about Italy do you get pangs of nostalgia for your favorite wrongly accused and exonerated American?:D

Reactions: TheGLOV
McKees Rocks is kind of like its' own country but I would not recommend it for the faint of heart or 'snowflake' types like yourself fair.

:eek::p;):p:eek:
Ah GLOV. I know the Rox well. I spent a lot of time in the Rox through the years. My grandparents lived in the Bottoms from the 20's till they died in the 60's. It was a great town. Its come on rough times, but there are still a lot of good people there. I pass through on occasion and ate at Eat 'n Park a couple of weeks ago.

Live in Canada, Delta, Ontario, from mid May through mid October on a magnificent lake. Love it. Wonderful neighbors with great humor, caring souls and they are a fun group to watch Penn State. Tailgate for every game. We had a 6am tailgate for the game in Ireland. The rest of the year at the beach in lower, slower Delaware. It's a good life.

Reactions: N&B4PSU and TheGLOV
Live in Canada, Delta, Ontario, from mid May through mid October on a magnificent lake. Love it. Wonderful neighbors with great humor, caring souls and they are a fun group to watch Penn State. Tailgate for every game. We had a 6am tailgate for the game in Ireland. The rest of the year at the beach in lower, slower Delaware. It's a good life.

If you need a 'steady' house-guest, call me please!!

Not sure I'd want to retire there, but I'd like to spend more time in Germany. I lived there as a PSU exchange student to Cologne in the late 1970s. My guess is that I've spent almost a year there all told.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
This has actually been a serious topic of discussion in our houehold where Tuscany and Campania remian the leader... that said, south of France (and even Strasbourg), the Netherlands (along with Brugges) and, after last trip, Ireland, have been working their way into the mix.

Now, if we split, i'm going to Spain. Or costa rica. Have a buddy who does high end charters (he's a chef) and he's living on the coast for next to nothing in a gorgeous place and the women are exceptional. Based on our flight on Iberia, I concur. But that discussion is on hold lol.

Regardless, I want ez feed for psu games. that's the deal breaker.

and as always, thanks to all for your contributions... gonna save this thread for later discussion.

Reactions: N&B4PSU and TheGLOV
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT