ADVERTISEMENT

So you just retired and want to live elsewhere. Pick a country ex-Pats!

I live in the greatest country not just in the world, but in the history of the world. Love to visit other places, but would never leave it.

People said the same thing of Egypt and Greece once.

Reactions: TheGLOV
In the event of a nuclear exchange (probable) you will want to be in the southern hemisphere. I dislike high humidity. Prefer a change of seasons. I would choose New Zealand but I'm afraid of China's reach. Tasmania intrigues but Australia has become a colony of China. You can have South Africa. That leaves Patagonia.

Great trout fishing in Patagonia. You can also spend hours and hours watching the water go down the toilet the opposite way of the northern hemisphere! ;-)

I guess I could try Ithaca or Berkley for awhile. Probably wouldn't like it too much.

Towny should share the article with MM. He may be looking for some place to live out the rest of his crummy life with what's left of his awarded money and his wandering snake.

Reactions: Phil's Rug
Towny should share the article with MM. He may be looking for some place to live out the rest of his crummy life with what's left of his awarded money and his wandering snake.
Where's the "Top Ten Cities for Sending Dick Pics" slide show?

Last edited:
For me it would be Italy and France. Real estate is remarkably affordable -- the result of population decline and lingering effects of the Great Recession.

The problem is getting long-term visas -- extremely difficult if you don't have recent family lineage.

The other problem is that both are highly insular societies -- not accustomed to taking in outsiders. The social life of an expat is often limited to a small circle of other expats.

But it would be fun to at least take some extended time within the allowed 6 month tourist visa. If you can lease a flat (again, not easy given the paperwork requirements), it can be amazingly inexpensive. In a lot of places 600-700 Euro a month gets you a very nice place to live.

Surprised no one has said the Caribbean. Would be first for me (maybe Anguilla). Then Canada.

1. France (anywhere)
2. Belgium (Flanders)
3. New Zealand/Australia
4. Canada
5. Netherlands
6. Argentina/Chile
(I have heard that the center of wine country in Argentina is very much like Denver was 50 years ago...very, very intriguing)

Good call on Argentina's wine country.. incredibly rugged and beautiful and clean... and wine comes cheap and very good. I have a few friends who have set up camp there and love it.

Nice list :)

Again... just so appreciate the posts here. we've already begun discussions on the when/where of our 6-9 month stay in europe... adding some of these other places is adding to the fun!

When I was working in Germany a few years ago, there was a segment on the news about property being abandoned in rural Spain (northeast area) because of people leaving to find jobs. You could buy an entire village for about 100k euros. Obviously. buying just a single villa would be cheaper. If you can speak Spanish and don't want to live in a big city, then this may be something to consider.

IIRC, Vienna Austria is numero uno for ex pats. More ex pats live there than anywhere else.

For me, I'd need an atheist Country like the Nordic States or Japan. I don't think Israel (Middle East) would be an ideal retirement for me.

Vienna is a yawn. Go to Durnstein on the Danube for real beauty

Reactions: N&B4PSU and TheGLOV
Again... just so appreciate the posts here. we've already begun discussions on the when/where of our 6-9 month stay in europe... adding some of these other places is adding to the fun!

Munich is hyper liveable. Between the Netherlands, Munich (not so much Berlin), France and Italy - some really good places. Spain is really nice too (both Madrid and Barcalounger aka Barcelona)

Not sure if I'd live more than part years somewhere (or if I could in my situation), but as soon a I can after I retire, I'm hopping a jet to Australia, buying or leasing a used 4X4, getting a sat phone, and going to the Outback and Back of Beyond for about 4-5 months. Cape York, the Kimberley, Kangaroo Island, Tasmania, etc. Red dirt roads, empty vistas, big skies

Reactions: TheGLOV and N&B4PSU
Good call on Argentina's wine country.. incredibly rugged and beautiful and clean... and wine comes cheap and very good. I have a few friends who have set up camp there and love it.

Nice list :)
I used to have a co-worker from Chile and he absolutely hated the premise that Argentine wines were the best in South America.

He used to say that Chilean wines were far superior!!

I used to have a co-worker from Chile and he absolutely hated the premise that Argentine wines were the best in South America.

He used to say that Chilean wines were far superior!!

I've been to both (and i'm a pretty serious wine guy) and I'd argue the merits both ways and feel comfortable I was right. And I love Chile as a place to visit -- getting my wife to go South instead of europe, though... not so easy lol.

Reactions: TheGLOV
I've been to both (and i'm a pretty serious wine guy) and I'd argue the merits both ways and feel comfortable I was right. And I love Chile as a place to visit -- getting my wife to go South instead of europe, though... not so easy lol.

Great review sir.

Thank you!!

My coworker, from Chile, used to go ballistic on what he called "Over-rated" Argentine wines!

He was very biased of course.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
Not sure if I'd live more than part years somewhere (or if I could in my situation), but as soon a I can after I retire, I'm hopping a jet to Australia, buying or leasing a used 4X4, getting a sat phone, and going to the Outback and Back of Beyond for about 4-5 months. Cape York, the Kimberley, Kangaroo Island, Tasmania, etc. Red dirt roads, empty vistas, big skies

Just beware of the snakes and the crocs!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT