ADVERTISEMENT

Soccer Academies

baircub1!

Aug 13, 2012
Centerport , NY
Apologies for reaching out on a football thread.. my 15 year old son has been contacted by La Liga Soccer academy where he will be trading next may including Atletico and Real Madrid Coaches and recently Odisea Academy head of recruiting has asked him to come. For the next 12 months to Spain.,

Through various posts I know there are soccer enthusiasts on this site..,

Yes.. I would LOVE for him to eventually try out and play at Penn State.. but for those in the “ know”… are there any specific benefits to the International offers that have been made thus far.,??

Apologies for reaching out on a football thread.. my 15 year old son has been contacted by La Liga Soccer academy where he will be trading next may including Atletico and Real Madrid Coaches and recently Odisea Academy head of recruiting has asked him to come. For the next 12 months to Spain.,

Yes.. I would LOVE for him to eventually try out and play at Penn State.. but for those in the “ know”… are there any specific benefits to the International offers that have been made thus far.,??
Congrats. Don’t know anything but sounds like an exciting opportunity.

Reactions: baircub1!
Outstanding and congratulations. Enjoy the ride. Climbing the proverbial competition ladder. Hopefully it’s a scholarship type of opportunity otherwise you better have significant cash flow. Got caught up in the club/academy scene in SoCal for girls VB…. It can be both rewarding and exciting but awfully expensive. Buyer beware. It’s even more competitive the higher you elevate.

Question: are they paying for the transport for the tryouts?
Not for transport… at this time we are saying “ no thank you”…he would miss an important time in His high school career.. really want to have him enjoy his life.. make certain sacrifices where appropriate..all good !

Not for transport… at this time we are saying “ no thank you”…he would miss an important time in His high school career.. really want to have him enjoy his life.. make certain sacrifices where appropriate..all good !
Do the U.S. MLS teams have or sponsor soccer academis in the U.S.?
Is there any possibility the offer from the overseas academy will be available at a later date?

Do the U.S. MLS teams have or sponsor soccer academis in the U.S.?
Is there any possibility the offer from the overseas academy will be available at a later date?
Yes.

Maybe. If the player is Micah Parsons then yes. If the player is a 2* then no.

He needs to go the international route. 15 is a great age to go. The coaching there is far better than any coaching here in the US. Spain is an amazing place where he can showcase his skills and learn and play with the best.

He needs to go the international route. 15 is a great age to go. The coaching there is far better than any coaching here in the US. Spain is an amazing place where he can showcase his skills and learn and play with the best.
One reason we are behind. They do pull identified kids out of school. Good or bad, but it’s what they do.

Thank you.. we are def thinking about both International Programs..both we need to cover travel they cover housing and training and analysis..

I wanted to send my son to Brazil for training since we are of Portuguese descent and he was a no-go. Was recruited by many big schools and turned em all down. He wanted to become a doctor. The college coaches we talked to wanted academy players moreso than high school players. My daughter chose to play at a big division 1 soccer school without academy experience. Yet her club program was very competitive and was ranked number 1 in the country out of Maryland. The only real concern we had was burnout for so many games and traveling at a young age. When they get to college alot of her friends just wanted to be college students.

I wanted to send my son to Brazil for training since we are of Portuguese descent and he was a no-go. Was recruited by many big schools and turned em all down. He wanted to become a doctor. The college coaches we talked to wanted academy players moreso than high school players. My daughter chose to play at a big division 1 soccer school without academy experience. Yet her club program was very competitive and was ranked number 1 in the country out of Maryland. The only real concern we had was burnout for so many games and traveling at a young age. When they get to college alot of her friends just wanted to be college students.
Thank you ! And appreciate the issue on “ burn out” as well.. something we think about all the time.. at the end if the day.. and I think the difference between playing D1 vs D2 or D3.. D1 you just don’t get the same “ fun” out of combining school and soccer.. D2 and D3 though very competitive.. you are not necessarily giving up your life 24/7.. make sense ?

Reactions: RickinDayton
Thank you ! And appreciate the issue on “ burn out” as well.. something we think about all the time.. at the end if the day.. and I think the difference between playing D1 vs D2 or D3.. D1 you just don’t get the same “ fun” out of combining school and soccer.. D2 and D3 though very competitive.. you are not necessarily giving up your life 24/7.. make sense ?
Just to follow up on that, I have two d1 athletes who graduated from college and received their degrees. One went to PSU for grad school and is doing well professionally. The other, the athletic commitment was/is so intense she changed majors to suit the requirements of her sport. She did return to grad school yet she is still searching for her fit in this world. As bright as she was going into college, when she graduated I though she wasn't ready for the real world and it apparent. Sorry for the personal rant just lots of variables to consider.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT