ADVERTISEMENT

Some proper perspective Franklin haters.....

2016-17 was just a huge missed opportunity for this program to get to the next level. We had a generational talent at RB, NFL players all over the field, and we couldn't seal the deal. Losing the Rose Bowl to a mediocre USC coach was just the icing on the cake. Penn State really hasn't been to the 2016-17 level since, despite what the team's record might say.

2017 was a superior team to 2016. '16 just gets remembered fondly for upsetting OSU and winning the conference.

2019 and 2022 are comparable. Different weaknesses. Different caliber of opponents.

2016-17 was just a huge missed opportunity for this program to get to the next level. We had a generational talent at RB, NFL players all over the field, and we couldn't seal the deal. Losing the Rose Bowl to a mediocre USC coach was just the icing on the cake. Penn State really hasn't been to the 2016-17 level since, despite what the team's record might say.
Although USC was riding an 8-game winning streak going into the Rose Bowl, had defeated #4 Washington in Seattle 26-13 three games prior, and finished the year ranked #3 in the country in the final AP poll.

Reactions: lazydave841
Although USC was riding an 8-game winning streak going into the Rose Bowl, had defeated #4 Washington in Seattle 26-13 three games prior, and finished the year ranked #3 in the country in the final AP poll.

USC and Penn State were the 2 hottest teams (with losses) down the stretch. It would have been a hell of a playoff game. Clemson and Bama are probably glad they didn't see either one, even though Clemson blanked OSU and throttled Bama (44-16, if my year/game matches up).

USC and Penn State were the 2 hottest teams (with losses) down the stretch. It would have been a hell of a playoff game. Clemson and Bama are probably glad they didn't see either one, even though Clemson blanked OSU and throttled Bama (44-16, if my year/game matches up).
And we should have won but had absolutely no pass rush down the stretch so we make Darnold look like Elway or Mahomes (and no it wasn't just because we lost our LB Bell earlier in the third quarter). Thank you Franklin and Pry. Also, Franklin tried to hold on to the lead in the 4th thinking we could milk the clock until they tie it and then Trace goes one time too many to the jump ball for Godwin and we know the rest. Brutal, brutal loss.

That loss just catapulted us into this late game demise stretch when in difficult tussles with good teams. Maybe we finally get redemption in LA against USC this year.

Last edited:
Many of you seem to forget the 2016 team was immediately following Sandusky and the scholarship sanctions that crippled the program. We were punching above our weight, truly.

Paterno should have retired and enjoyed a non football life after 2001. Or after 2004. With hindsight, the program would have probably been better off if it happened after 1989.

Until Michigan won 3 straight, nobody in the conference was considered a threat to beat OSU in any given year since Meyer took over. It's not like there are a bunch of teams with multiple wins over them during the JF era. I get the frustration, but it just wasn't done during this time frame.
I would think after 1994 would have been a good time, or after 2005. A lot of people thought Sandusky was going to be the successor. Maybe in hindsight it was good that Joe stayed so long rather than that happen.

Not exactly. 2016 is not 2012.
That is a foolish response. We were finally back to full scholarships only in 2016 after years of reductions. The impacts were profound on the program and lasted until the end of that decade. BOB and Franklin both had to make tough decisions and emphasized the skill positions rather than the lines. We were punching above our weight in 2016.

That is a foolish response. We were finally back to full scholarships only in 2016 after years of reductions. The impacts were profound on the program and lasted until the end of that decade. BOB and Franklin both had to make tough decisions and emphasized the skill positions rather than the lines. We were punching above our weight in 2016.
I'm not sure what your point is. My point is that despite the lingering effects of the sanctions, I believe that Franklin's 2016-17 teams were the best teams he has fielded since becoming coach at Penn State. IMO, those teams would have beaten any of the teams he has put on the field since.

I believe that Franklin's 2016-17 teams were the best teams he has fielded since becoming coach at Penn State. IMO, those teams would have beaten any of the teams he has put on the field since.

'16 didn't have a lot of depth on defense. '17 was a much better unit that still lacked depth, but still struggled vs the pass late.
'19 was a lesser offensive team, but the defense was probably closer to the '17 team than '16.
'22 offense was similar to '16 (started slow, then got better), defense was a lot better than the other 3, but struggled with the big boys.

I'd rate them, as teams (JF era):

1. '17
2. '22
3. '16
4. '19

When did he start squaring off with them? When he was over 70 and past his prime. Franklin has been compiling this poor record vs OSU and Michigan in his 40s early 50s. Big difference.
And Franklin is facing an OSU team that is annually better than the vast majority of the OSU teams Paterno coached against. OSU has the best winning percentage in football over the past decade, they rarely lose to anyone. Big difference.

We get all these athletes but the D Line for example does not dominate in big games. We get little pressure from the interior of the line. I still hold my breath that we can convert a 4th and 6 inches with our O-Line.

You are right that we are kind of a joke to OSU. A few years ago, probably four and before the big contract extension I was talking to a big OSU fan. He basically said they all don't think Franklin is good and wonder why we keep him. I'm not saying we should fire him and certainly don't want to get into all that crap with people on this board. My only point in bringing that up is OSU sees us as absolutely no threat to beat them.
The biggest OSU fan I know feels completely the opposite. He hates when OSU plays us because despite the losses we've regularly challenged OSU better than anyone in recent memory, with the tide only turning for UM in the last 3 years. He especially hates when we host them in a whiteout... thanks for killing that FOX. So anecdotally yes, OSU fans have seen us as a threat.

Franklin is a lot like NU's former coach, Fitz, in being a "CEO-type" HC who isn't a particularly good game manager and needs to make the right coordinator hires on both sides of the ball (this is a big disadvantage compared to HCs who can handle the scheme/X's and O's on one side).

Problems arise when they make a mistake on a hire (or multiple mistakes), which further compounds their repeated inability to trot out a good O-line.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT