ADVERTISEMENT

Some thoughts and questions regarding Hong Kong and Taiwan.

GreggK

Jan 19, 2002
As some may know on here, I always try to be an honest broker. So know, when I ask these questions, or sort of am thinking out loud, there isn't necessarily an agenda. I understand there are some people, particularly people who can't help themselves but to hurl epithets at people, but there are times that there has been constructive conversation on here.

I recently finished listening to a six part series on the war in the Pacific on Hardcore History so perhaps that is why I am thinking about this, other than the obvious world events.

I am sure the righties on here will bristle in anger, but I keep thinking, why does it really matter in the scheme of things if China takes back Hong Kong. Especially with Hong Kong, why is there a line in the sand in the first place? What right did "Great" Britian have to take Hong Kong for its own in the first place? Is it worth war to stop China from taking it back? It was taken in the first place because England wanted to play drug dealer.

As for Taiwan, it gets trickier, and I am sort thinking it through still. I certainly do not think it is at all worth going to war over, for the US at least. Though I also understand why it is important to contain China. Although, I mean, I get why China would want Taiwan. Especially considering historically, it was part of China.

I guess my point is, there are no easy answers here. I find the people who say "we can't let china take Taiwan or hong kong" to be sort of absurd. Why? How would we stop them? Who would stop them? Don't take the cheap and easy route here because this was a process evolving no matter who is in office.

So my questions would be. I'm looking for honest answers. I am also just going to ignore any name calling or cop-out (well biden is weak blah blah blah) BS

1. Why does it matter if Hong Kong becomes part of China?
2. Why does it matter if Taiwan becomes part of China?
3. How would you propose to stop China from taking over?

Don't mistake these questions for me NOT grasping the danger of China. I do, and I think we have been far too easy on them with both intellectual property and trade.
I am just having a hard time mustering any outrage about Hong Kong and I am sort of on the fence about Taiwan.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News