ADVERTISEMENT

State wants to make it illegal to leave state for medical treatment I don't think it is.

2lion70

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2004
I'm not sure this is legal or Constitutional

Idaho House Passed Bill to Ban Teens From Getting Abortions in Other States​

Story by Susan Rinkunas • Yesterday 5:50 PM

Update March 7, 2023: Idaho House lawmakers on Tuesday passed HB 242, a bill that would criminalize people who help minors access abortion out of state. The bill doesn’t have a true exception for parents who give permission as they can only use that as an “affirmative defense” if prosecuted. HB 242 doesn’t alter the definition of human trafficking in the same way as a proposal we wrote about previously, HB 98. The bill now goes to the state Senate.

Original story from February 8, 2023, follows:

Abortion is almost totally banned in Idaho except for cases of reported rape or incest, or doctors’ discretion to save the pregnant person’s life. But that apparently isn’t enough for state lawmakers, because on Tuesday they introduced a bill that would make it harder for young people to get abortions in other states.
State Rep. Barbara Ehardt (R) introduced House Bill 98, which would amend both the state’s abortion ban and its human trafficking code to make it illegal for anyone to help a pregnant person under 18 get an out-of-state abortion without the consent of a parent or legal guardian. The bill would also make it a crime for anyone to provide “abortion-inducing drugs” (aka abortion pills) to a pregnant minor in the state without parental consent. If it were to pass, this bill could mean sending people’s aunts, grandmothers, or trusted friends to prison for two to five years.
And finally, the bill would give Idaho Attorney General Raúl Labrador (R) the authority and “sole discretion” to prosecute people who violate either the state’s human trafficking or abortion law if a county prosecutor refuses to bring charges.
Laws mandating parental involvement in abortion are nothing new, but this bill is an escalation. Rebecca Gibron, CEO of Planned Parenthood Great Northwest, Hawai‘i, Indiana, Kentucky, said in a statement that “preventing people—including minors—from accessing abortion is dangerous and irresponsible. I can’t think of anything more cruel than a state forcing a child to remain pregnant and punishing people who try to help them. Shame on these lawmakers. All Idahoans should be paying attention to this extreme attempt at government overreach to control our movements in and out of the state of Idaho.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News