ADVERTISEMENT

Steelers/Skins

BBrown

Jul 27, 2001
Baltimore, MD
If the Steelers had any defense they would be a Super Bowl Contender.
Even without 3 of their stars on offense they are excellent.
Unfortunately their defense is as bad as their offense is good.
What the hell or where the hell is Jarvis Jones?
And damn Lawrence Timmons misses a ton of tackles. Geesh.
I guess much like us they will have to win in shoot outs.
Just another thing I'm not used to seeing.

Their D hasn't played bad.

JJ better get better at blocking fast. He has had a bad second half. Just got called for holding on a long Williams run

Brown is a freak.

I'd wait at least another week to judge how good they are. The Redskins D is bad- can't cover receivers and linebackers are nonexistent.

JJ better get better at blocking fast. He has had a bad second half. Just got called for holding on a long Williams run

Brown is a freak.

I guess we'll agree to disagree on the defense. INMO they're not very good.
The Skins stink and with a good QB it would be much more uncomfortable.
Tons of missed tackles, remind you of anyone? Shazier has been good but Timmons has been spotty and maybe Jarvis Jones is hurt but I haven't seen him do anything.
They can't get a pass rush to save their lives.

Brown is a freak.
James has had a decent game catching the ball but he'll never be Heath Miller.
He just doesn't have it in him to block.

Reactions: TheGLOV
I'd wait at least another week to judge how good they are. The Redskins D is bad- can't cover receivers and linebackers are nonexistent.

IDK how good the Skins D is but the Steelers are also missing 3 very good players on offense.
On the other hand Deangelo Williams is amazing.

IDK how good the Skins D is but the Steelers are also missing 3 very good players on offense.
On the other hand Deangelo Williams is amazing.

He's definitely having a great game. It's just that the Redskins D is real bad and their O was pretty much nonexistent except for a short stint in the 3rd quarter. I'd wait until there's a much better team across the line to get a real feel for just how good the Steelers really are.

Reactions: BBrown
He's definitely having a great game. It's just that the Redskins D is real bad and their O was pretty much nonexistent except for a short stint in the 3rd quarter. I'd wait until there's a much better team across the line to get a real feel for just how good the Steelers really are.
That Roethlisberger to Brown just might work out ok for the Steelers. :rolleyes:

Reactions: wslee1
Jarvis Jones has been a bust. They're missing Bud Dupree for at least half the season and he could supply some pass rush. They weren't getting a pass rush with 3 or sometimes 4 rushing and couldn't cover underneath routes. Need to change that up against AJ Green next week.

Steelers defense gave up a lot of yards, but seemed to tighten up as the Redskins got deeper into their territory. Didn't blitz much.

Offense was overall good. Like PSU, they ended up with 5 TDs and a FG, and D'Angelo had an excellent game.

Decisive win on the road -- good way to start the season.

Steelers defense gave up a lot of yards, but seemed to tighten up as the Redskins got deeper into their territory. Didn't blitz much.

Offense was overall good. Like PSU, they ended up with 5 TDs and a FG, and D'Angelo had an excellent game.

I was thinking the same thing.

And they are playing a good many young players on D that have a chance to get much better as the season goes along. 2 rookie CB's, a rookie nose tackle, and some young LB's. The defense could get significantly better as the season goes along.

On offense Bell will be back along with Weaton. The OL is rock solid, and maybe JJ's blocking will improve somewhat as he continues to get playing time.

They have as good of a chance to be playing in the Super Bowl as any team in the league.

Reactions: wslee1

Brown is a freak.
The holding call was weak at best. JJ played a very good game, and his blocking was fine -- including a great clearout on the final TD.

Reactions: palehorse
Jesse played a good game.

This is the NFL- everyone moves the ball. It comes down to making the other team kick field goals. Washington does have some weapons and Cousins at home has been off the charts and pretty good overall, so you can't really complain too much about the defense. They were sitting in a zone all night rushing 3-4 guys, so as not to get beat over the top.

I got news for you pal: The Steelers were picked as the 'odds-on-favorite' to win this years Super Bowl!!

So much for your OP.!!

GEEESH!

I guess we'll agree to disagree on the defense. INMO they're not very good.
The Skins stink and with a good QB it would be much more uncomfortable.
Tons of missed tackles, remind you of anyone? Shazier has been good but Timmons has been spotty and maybe Jarvis Jones is hurt but I haven't seen him do anything.
They can't get a pass rush to save their lives.

Brown is a freak.
James has had a decent game catching the ball but he'll never be Heath Miller.
He just doesn't have it in him to block.

Got that right.

1 out of two ain't bad.

What is with that free agent TE Ladarius Green they signed?

When, if ever, is he likely to see the field?

Roy wait until 21 reads your post. He will be here soon with a rant on Ladarius Green.
I'm happy for JJ but I sure do wish they had Heath this year

I got news for you pal: The Steelers were picked as the 'odds-on-favorite' to win this years Super Bowl!!

So much for your OP.!!

GEEESH!

LOL, wow you do get butt hurt don't you?
My advice is to calm down, life is short and find another hobby because Pittsburgh sports teams
seem to turn you into an asshole.

Roy wait until 21 reads your post. He will be here soon with a rant on Ladarius Green.
I'm happy for JJ but I sure do wish they had Heath this year
Hah....thanks for the heads up. I've got 21 on ignore, but I'll check to see if he's got a good rant on this subject.

There were a couple of observations from watching last night (full disclosure - I am as Yinzer as anyone you will find in Denver):
1) The Steelers offense was good but benefited from some huge breaks - 1) AB's first touchdown goes right through the DB's hands, 2) If you ask AB if he caught that ball and he is being honest he has to say yes, that is a great play by Norman but the rule is what it is - and 3) the pinball touchdown.
2) The defense I think did what the coaches told them to do and that meant only 3-4 rushers drop everyone back. Their are only a couple of offenses in the league that this will not work against - Patriots, Green Bay maybe Cinci - most other teams will self destruct if they have to make 12 play drives everytime, which means the D will give up a lot of yards and field goals - with this offense that is going to win you more games than not. Also, JJ rushed the passer an number of times but also dropped into a lot of coverage but he has to get a better rush when he is asked to do that! Finally, how is it that Timmons has to try and run on a crossing route with Jackson - that's just never going to end up being a good play.
3) I loved how the offense (Ben and Todd H.) trusted the guys just getting into the lineup - they threw to James, Rodgers and Coats in critical situations and that trust was mostly returned by each of those guys playing well. JJ's blocking was actually pretty good, yes he got the holding call but he made most of his blocks throughout the night.
4) By the 4th Q the Skins D was just hoping to get to the showers - they wanted nothing to do with Williams.
5) If you are a skins fan that had to be tough to watch - I mean how do you not help a DB getting torched and continue to leave him out there to fend for himself? Might be a long year in DC!

Reactions: BBrown
Made the trip down to DC last night. Had good time. Once Steelers got going, they just took off. Some of those throws Ben put in there to Brown, and the catches, were a thing of beauty in person. Just unbelievable. Nice to see Steelers keep in going in second half, last couple years, too many games they were Jekyll and Hyde team, between first and second half. If we stay heathy, and get other guys back, we going to fare very, very well this year. Finally feel like we have the solid OL we've missed for years, injury, etc., has arrived, and I think Bens totally in his comfort zone, personally and professionally, and his performance and leadsership will show it.

Redskins fans were good natured, even as there team fell apart. Tons of Steeler fans there as typical road game. Getting around 495 beltway to other side of DC was a nightmare. 1/3 of our travel time of the 180 mile trip was the last 20 miles, and that hike up the hill to FedEx Field, cardiac city, as bad as old Pitt Field. Doubt I'll visit there again soon.

Go Steelers!

BTW, seems every Cowboy fan I know is coming out of woodwork to get tickets for November. Wait till they go and get steamrollered! :)

Reactions: TheGLOV and royboy
The holding call was weak at best. JJ played a very good game, and his blocking was fine -- including a great clearout on the final TD.

It was weak cause it was JJ.. That gets called everytime.. He was decent on receiving, his pass blocking wasn't great. He got beat a few times.

It was weak cause it was JJ.. That gets called everytime.. He was decent on receiving, his pass blocking wasn't great. He got beat a few times.

Agree. But it was better and was fairly effective. In any case it was better than it was when he was at PSU so that shows me that he can do it....if he wants.
There was one play in particular and I think it was in the first half, he had a really nice "chip" block (for lack of a better term) it sprung Deangelo Willliams for a nice gain but if he would have been a little more tenacious he could have turned back and got the guy coming across the field that ended up getting Williams. If he done that Williams is probably gone down the sideline.
Its the little things.
But again he is getting better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT