ADVERTISEMENT

Talk about a bad way to die - Alaska mud flats

Friend of mine and I were walking through a bog in order to fish cape may inlet.We spent a few hours on and around the jetty and when we left I stressed the importance of staying on the marked path.
He strayed and sunk up to his thighs in muck.Getting him out cost him his shoes socks.Worst smelling stuff ever and the ticks and various other pests decided we were the main course.

I sank in sand at Tybee Island a few years back near where they had removed an old pier. Sank up to my waist in 3 seconds. I managed to walk out of it fine. I didn't even spill my Red Bull. My gf and I still laugh about it to this day.
I just read an article stating that this notion of "quicksand" is BS; a Hollywood creation. That it does exist but is very shallow and not a real risk in terms of being a killer. In this case, the person was killed by high tide and not quicksand by itself.

giphy.gif

Didn't AustinNit sink deep into quicksand years ago?

Reactions: brupsu
I just read an article stating that this notion of "quicksand" is BS; a Hollywood creation. That it does exist but is very shallow and not a real risk in terms of being a killer. In this case, the person was killed by high tide and not quicksand by itself.

giphy.gif

That's exactly how it was for me. I sank instantly. Went from feet in the sand to waist deep in a second, but I was able to climb out easily on my own within 5 or 6 steps.

Although in the initial drop, I was about to panic. Lol

Reactions: Obliviax
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT