ADVERTISEMENT

Temple season wasted

The "real" problem for Temple is that they do NOT bring any following. So no money and no TV viewers. In the long run they "might" be able to improve that with an on-campus stadium and more winning. The "winning" thing is a tall order. Another problem is that whenever a coach has some success they leave for the bigger bucks. Just the way the "system" works. Golden, Addazio and most probably Rhule.
Temple has been a Basketball centered school for most of it's history. Sort of the opposite of PSU.

Reactions: tgar
playing Toledo in a bowl
lol
This could have been the most memorable year in the history of Temple football and it is ending with a yawn. Next year they will mark a return to the mediocrity that has marked their program since its beginning. Temple beats us and yet we will be in a better bowl, on a better date, that will pay more money. The fact is we bring national interest to a bowl game and Temple brings nothing....no history, no tradition, no fans. I like Matt Rhule and hope he gets a chance to coach at a higher level next year, but Temple's stumbling finish may have cost him his big chance. I doubt any Temple team in the next 10 years will have the opportunity that this one had and, as the OP said, it was a "season wasted". Sad.

Reactions: Marshall30
I don't believe this was a wasted season for them.
They did beat us for the 1st time in 70,000 years... actually they killed us.

Reactions: stennet
The "real" problem for Temple is that they do NOT bring any following. So no money and no TV viewers. In the long run they "might" be able to improve that with an on-campus stadium and more winning. The "winning" thing is a tall order. Another problem is that whenever a coach has some success they leave for the bigger bucks. Just the way the "system" works. Golden, Addazio and most probably Rhule.
Temple has been a Basketball centered school for most of it's history. Sort of the opposite of PSU.
Despite Temple's good season (by their standards) they will be in the Boca Raton bowl which is the 3rd or 4th worst payout at 400K. That also means it is near the bottom of the barrel in terms of prestige. If we get the Taxslayer, as projected, we will get 2.75 million.

I don't believe this was a wasted season for them.
They did beat us for the 1st time in 70,000 years... actually they killed us.
That is all they can hang their hat on. They beat a below average Penn State team with one of the best teams in Temple history, and yet we will be in a far better bowl.

Exactly. And it's my understanding that's why Joe always had us play them in football. Playing us helped them out and their playing us in basketball helped us out.

I really hope we are better for next year's game. Temple will not be as good but do bring back their QB and top RBs (that killed us) so we will have our hands filled unless we can find some LBs that are "athletic".
I FULLY expect Franklin to play more and more of the freshmen. The BIG question is the OL. I "hope" they will improve a bit, but I am NOT counting on it. I got REALLY fooled this year wrongly assuming the physical growth would improve the OL, not so much. I sure it was the coaching ;-)

I hope Ruhle stays there and builds something solid. Their only hope of getting a following and prestige is consistent winning followed by moving to a bigger conference. It's a very tall order

Reactions: PSU65
I hope Ruhle stays there and builds something solid. Their only hope of getting a following and prestige is consistent winning followed by moving to a bigger conference. It's a very tall order
It would take years to change the dynamics there. If Matt stays, based upon what I've read and heard, he can expect to have a very average team next fall. I just don't ever see Temple being much more than what they have been.

FAU's stadium in Boca only holds 29,000. Very small time venu but I doubt fans will travel anyway for this match up. On the flip side there are reports that student applications at Temple are way up, so it wasn't a waste in that regard. Plus interest in Temple football has increased dramatically, and they are trying to get funds for a new on campus stadium.

Sounds alot like Pitt.

Reactions: Marshall30
playing Toledo in a bowl

lol
Temple whooped our ass this year. And if we played tomorrow, they would beat us again. Yes they are a senior laden team and we are a young depleted team, and yes they will return to normalcy. But your post is nothing but being arrogant. Temple was a very solid team this year and we sucked. Remember we haven't been a powerhouse in years, and are from it.

Despite Temple's good season (by their standards) they will be in the Boca Raton bowl which is the 3rd or 4th worst payout at 400K. That also means it is near the bottom of the barrel in terms of prestige. If we get the Taxslayer, as projected, we will get 2.75 million.

We don't get the full amount listed for the bowl. We get an allocation from the conference to cover expenses and the rest goes into a pool which is then split with all conference members.

Temple whooped our ass this year. And if we played tomorrow, they would beat us again. Yes they are a senior laden team and we are a young depleted team, and yes they will return to normalcy. But your post is nothing but being arrogant. Temple was a very solid team this year and we sucked. Remember we haven't been a powerhouse in years, and are from it.
I agree with the OP. It was a season wasted for Temple. That is not arrogance. It's reality. This was their first chance in decades to make a national splash. They had a veteran team, dynamic coach, and favorable schedule. They played us in a year when we were still crippled by sanctions and came away with a solid win. They continued to play well and made the top 25. Then, they lost 3 of their last 6 and it all went in the dumper. We're not a powerhouse, and yet the fact that Temple beat us and finished with a better record, yet we are going to a more prestigious bowl that pays almost 9 times as much as Temple will receive tells you all you need to know about the national image of the two programs.

We don't get the full amount listed for the bowl. We get an allocation from the conference to cover expenses and the rest goes into a pool which is then split with all conference members.
I know that. That was not the point. The point was the respective payouts (and therefore prestige) of the two bowls.

You can't be one of us; it's obvious that you can't read.

Reactions: Nittany Ziggy
Not defending Temple, but certainly not a wasted year, it is ALL about name and money, PSU brings that to ANY bowl game. Our fans support the team even when it sucks. Has nothing to do with being good just a name.
Which team would draw more interest, ratings and money, Temple BB or PSU BB? Penn State is a football ONLY school AND Temple is a BB only school.
I'm hoping Chambers can do for PSU what Rhule has done for Temple, even if it's ONLY for ONE DAMN YEAR !!!!! We have not been relevant for, oh hell I can't remember.

I think the fans at temple felt their season was a success no matter how the rest of the year played out after they beat PSU.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT