ADVERTISEMENT

Tennessee fan explained 34 class to us

blion72

Jan 1, 2010
you may recall that Tenn had a reported class of 34 a few years back. we had breakfast today with a guy who is an alum and real fan. he explained the 34 number to us.

• he said 4 were actually signed into the next class and delayed entry. not sure why they would have been included in 34.
  • out of the 29 - he recalled 4 never made it into school = went the JC or something else. you would think that Rivals would then rate them on this 25 who actually entered school for the season in question.
  • out of the remaining 25, there were only 16 left on the team. injuries, transfers and believe it or not academic failures led to that attrition.
  • so Tenn got rated by Rivals based on the 34 players, but less than half were still with the team for 2018.
need to take the class rankings with a grain of salt, if this kind of thing is the norm.

you may recall that Tenn had a reported class of 34 a few years back. we had breakfast today with a guy who is an alum and real fan. he explained the 34 number to us.

• he said 4 were actually signed into the next class and delayed entry. not sure why they would have been included in 34.
  • out of the 29 - he recalled 4 never made it into school = went the JC or something else. you would think that Rivals would then rate them on this 25 who actually entered school for the season in question.
  • out of the remaining 25, there were only 16 left on the team. injuries, transfers and believe it or not academic failures led to that attrition.
  • so Tenn got rated by Rivals based on the 34 players, but less than half were still with the team for 2018.
need to take the class rankings with a grain of salt, if this kind of thing is the norm.

As I understand it, Rivals team rankings are based on highest 20 players committed so total number of commits beyond that wouldn’t add points.

Academic failure at the University of TN? Didn't think that was possible if you were on the football team.

The book, "For the Glory" about the 1988 Penn State recruiting class is an excellent in depth look at exactly what can happen to a highly rated recruiting class. Book tells the story of each recruit... who made it and the reasons why other didn't.

QUOTE="blion72, post: 3891534, member: 7928"]you may recall that Tenn had a reported class of 34 a few years back. we had breakfast today with a guy who is an alum and real fan. he explained the 34 number to us.

IS THIS A NEW CONCEPT? TO YOU?

• out of the 29 - he recalled 4 never made it into school = went the JC or something else.

AND YOU WOULD RECOMMEND... WHAT?
    THAT... IN FEBRUARY... THEY TRY TO "GUESS" WHICH KIDS WILL ENROLL AND STICK AROUND FOR 4 YEARS?

i don't know about you, but i felt this to be shocking. 4-5 guys actually belong in another class year and 4 more never make it to school. PSU teams do not seem to have any numbers close to this.

the media continues to report on teams as if these classes are real. all the pre-season mags seem to report as if classes are real. Rivals could keep reporting dynamic as opposed to final rating in Feb.

i am not sure how they score, and how much change it would make. PR on this is way off. it is also easy to see why class rank and team performance may not line up = which is a constant comparison that coaches deal with. I bet Butch Jones would have liked to get credit for the real class not what was reported.

There is only one recruiting service that rates the classes again two years after they are supposed to have marticulated. The service is out of Miami. Their rerankings are incredibly different from the signing day rankings.

i don't know about you, but i felt this to be shocking. 4-5 guys actually belong in another class year and 4 more never make it to school. PSU teams do not seem to have any numbers close to this.

the media continues to report on teams as if these classes are real. all the pre-season mags seem to report as if classes are real. Rivals could keep reporting dynamic as opposed to final rating in Feb.

i am not sure how they score, and how much change it would make. PR on this is way off. it is also easy to see why class rank and team performance may not line up = which is a constant comparison that coaches deal with. I bet Butch Jones would have liked to get credit for the real class not what was reported.

You're right. It's "shocking" how much undeserved traction UTk go from this. Even more shocking is that on New Year's Day I will be crowned the King of Sweden.:D

You're right. It's "shocking" how much undeserved traction UTk go from this. Even more shocking is that on New Year's Day I will be crowned the King of Sweden.:D

Art, as King of Sweden can you use your newly found influence with the Nobel Committee to get me that Nobel Prize in physics that my wife keeps nagging me over not winning? She wants to buy a dress for the trip to Stockholm and I have been stalling her for years. Her patience is running low, as are my excuses. Thanks.

It shouldn't be surprising b/c this number is not that important. It is the 85 limit that matters.

Remember a while back that Neiko Robinson never made it to campus. Neither did Anderson-Butts last year..

A desperate coach will take flyers. Take more who are likely to be academically ineligible--Juco route. Take some and greyshirt them--next year's class. Count some against last year's class. And then process existing players to make room for those that do show up.

Last edited:
Not like that class, or other recent UT classes, are helping UT win many games.....

Meaningless fake rankings.

Art, as King of Sweden can you use your newly found influence with the Nobel Committee to get me that Nobel Prize in physics that my wife keeps nagging me over not winning? She wants to buy a dress for the trip to Stockholm and I have been stalling her for years. Her patience is running low, as are my excuses. Thanks.

I'll put it right on top of my to-do list, Leo. Actually, it's number two, after becoming King of Sweden

Reactions: Leo Ridens
if you follow recruiting AT ALL, this should not be a shock to you.
this isn't rocket science

If this is shocking to you, maybe you should check out the new signing rules instituted last year. that might knock your socks off.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT