ADVERTISEMENT

TenorHallTerror: WTF is going on with DC's Film Universe?

A

anon_xdc8rmuek44eq

First Ben drops out of directing The Batman movie, and now word is he's trying to get out of being Batman altogether. Wow. What a total sh*tshow. I will say I finally got to watch Dr. Strange and once again Marvel knocks it out of the park (Cumberbatch's glue on beard notwithstanding). My only complaint is that we didn't get to see flame headed Dormammu, but loved everything else. Crazy how DC just can't keep up.

dumpster-fire.gif

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
The D.C. Universe just is not as exciting as what Marvel is doing. The Batman and Superman films have been around at lot longer and their basis was in camp vs. seriousness.
Dr. Strange was a good flick and Legion TV show was pretty amazing last week.

It's ironic because Lego Batman is a freaking awesome film. More heart and better characters than all the DCEU films combined. So, it's not like Warner Bros can't produce a good film with their superhero characters, they just need to put the right people in charge to do so.

Reactions: masterbaker65
I think DC ought to do something bold with the Batman stand alone movie and make Gotham by Gaslight or something like it. Take Batman out of the present and put him in the past - a period piece like Marvel did with Captain America.

First Ben drops out of directing The Batman movie, and now word is he's trying to get out of being Batman altogether. Wow. What a total sh*tshow. I will say I finally got to watch Dr. Strange and once again Marvel knocks it out of the park (Cumberbatch's glue on beard notwithstanding). My only complaint is that we didn't get to see flame headed Dormammu, but loved everything else. Crazy how DC just can't keep up.
Take your meds. English and good grammar are a must.

DC's universe will be fine. Marvel struggled for decades in movies. Ups & downs.

Affleck is just in fear right now, today. I would be too. It would be embarrassing for a standalone Batman movie in the DCU to be "worse" by any measure ($, reviews, awards) than Lego Batman.

But Batman, out of all DC characters is like James Bond. It can easily survive different actors, different tones. They could even kill Bruce Wayne off & let Dick Grayson take the job, it happened in comics.

I think the WW movie is going to be a huge hit. There has long been a need for a strong female superhero and her scenes were by far the best in BvS.

Reactions: Zenophile

I think Marvel made a good choice on Kevin Feige and putting him in charge of the MCU. The buck stops with him. But he's also smart enough to hire directors with vision and letting them do their things.

Most of the problems with the DCEU rest with the studios. Every "extended" or "Director" cut of a recent DC movie was measurably better than the theatrical release.

Part of Affleck's recent turn is Live By Night, which absolutely tanked and may cost Warner Brothers an estimated $75 million. He doesn't think he can write and direct a big budget film.

WTF would Hollywood do without comic book characters and remakes of old movies?

I think Marvel made a good choice on Kevin Feige and putting him in charge of the MCU. The buck stops with him. But he's also smart enough to hire directors with vision and letting them do their things.

Most of the problems with the DCEU rest with the studios. Every "extended" or "Director" cut of a recent DC movie was measurably better than the theatrical release.

Part of Affleck's recent turn is Live By Night, which absolutely tanked and may cost Warner Brothers an estimated $75 million. He doesn't think he can write and direct a big budget film.
None of them -- and no versions of them -- hold a candle to The Dark Knight.

Reactions: TenerHallTerror
Let's slow down. The three batman movies with Christian bale and the the supporting actors as well as story lines were great!!

Casting Ben affleck was such a joke when I first heard about it. Then when I went to see the movie I just couldn't get into Ben playing batman. Ben was very good in the town, good will hunting, etc. but not in this role. Love by night was not very good either.

Superman with Russell Crowe etc the remake of the superman 2 movie was also very good.

DC has the scripts as I grew up reading both dc and marvel. They just have to get their act together. Marvel got the jump with the avengers over the justic league. I was a major justic league kid growing up especially the cartoon every Saturday morning. Surprised dc dragged their feet so long. In batman and superman the lame attempt to introduce each character especially aqua man was forced upon the audience. I hope they figure it out.

I do think, however, that DC has done a decent job with the TV versions of their universe.

that's because Greg Berlanti runs things like Feige. I thought they did a great job building the Suicide Squad in "Arrow", only to have DC cut them off at the knees for the motion picture

I saw one missing comma and a missing hyphen. Not too bad for a message board. What other grammar errors did I miss?
I noticed two unnecessary commas, no missing comma. He could have used a ! after Wow and I see your possible use of the hyphen for glue-on.

All in all, a fine post by Midnighter. Mary needs a nap.:)

Last edited:
Hall of Justice vs Legion of Doom is a slam dunk, how they are messing this up is crazy. License the movies to the Disney/Marvel guys!

on a side note, they have been many references to the Saturday morning cartoons on the CW shows

during the "Invasion" crossover, the warehouse where the heroes trained was the Hall of Justice

on "Legends", the villain team up this season is Reverse Flash, Damian Darhk, Malcolm Merlyn, and they refer to themselves as the "Legion of Doom". there is a running joke with Sara Lance refusing to use that name.

I noticed two unnecessary commas, no missing comma. He could have used a ! after Wow and I see your possible use of the hyphen for glue-on.

All in all, a fine post by Midnighter. Mary needs a nap.:)
Yeah, I thought "word is" should be offset by commas and flame-headed should be hyphenated (I missed glue-on) but I will defer to your superior grammatical knowledge. I'm a science guy so I cain't be 'spected ta no know grammer.;)

Marvel has had better movies by far but as i was reading comics in the late 1970's and 1980's what Marvel has to work with is a better product than DC. Marvel has yet to really tap into such characters ad Man Thing, Werewolf by Night, Dracula, Moon Night, Nova, Sub Mariner, ect. All that sprawl out into other universes.

Why Marvel is kicking DC's ass... because they have actors and actresses who are believable in their roles - and they were seemingly born to play those roles. CB as Batman was dead on perfect, but he has chosen to move on. Affleck isn't believable as Bruce Wayne/Batman, the role seems forced. The new Superman is a joke, not believable. Gal as WW is believable and with some more development could the character/actress the DC universe is built around.

Marvel has RDJ as Tony Stark/Ironman (honestly who could even pull off this role?), Helmsworth as Thor! ScarJo as Black Widow (PERFECT!), etc... their castings were dead on.

Yeah, I thought "word is" should be offset by commas and flame-headed should be hyphenated (I missed glue-on) but I will defer to your superior grammatical knowledge. I'm a science guy so I cain't be 'spected ta no know grammer.;)
I can see your flame headed point. I'm not a big fan of commas but I do comprendo your comma bracketing suggestion for 'word is'. I try to imagine how the words would go together if I spoke them. This takes many years of experience, trial and error, and can be very frustrating. I doubt a science guy like yourself could bear up. :rolleyes: Nice effort, I must say. Chin up and all that rubbish.:D;)

though the Louis Leterrier Incredible Hulk has it's own set of issues . . .

Yeah. Both missed opportunities really. But, at least he went for the monster vs. monster trope, while Lee went for the existential man vs. monster one. And this may sound criminal, but as much as I love Ruffalo, I would have been more than pretty okay with Ed Norton being Banner and getting scenes with RDJ....

Yeah. Both missed opportunities really. But, at least he went for the monster vs. monster trope, while Lee went for the existential man vs. monster one. And this may sound criminal, but as much as I love Ruffalo, I would have been more than pretty okay with Ed Norton being Banner and getting scenes with RDJ....

one of the great mysteries of Hollywood . . . never really understood what the beef was between Norton and Marvel. Yes, he is a demanding actor. His body of work speaks to his success.

Gibson is an excellent director. But suicide squad just isn't there for me. Marvel again got the jump with guardians of the Galaxy.

Gibson is a great director but I feel this is not
in his wheelhouse. Marvel has made excellent directing choices for its projects and James Gunn was spot on perfect for GotG. His biggest film prior to that gig was what - Slither? Super? The two Scooby Doo movies? Have to find the right fit and that's been DCEU's biggest issue. They should try to get Noah Hawley away from Legion if
they can - he would kill Suicide Squad.

And now Affleck's replacement, Matt Reeves, has broken off negotiations with Warner Bros.... Something is seriously wrong here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT